Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stringball
Mar 17, 2009

I don't see many people talking about tabloids so I thought I'd ask if these had any sort of significance to the current shitstorm

I work at a cash register and two times a week the national enquirer and globe will poo poo out whatever absurd stuff they want, national enquirer being the worse of the two

This weeks headline is that the 3 clintons have been indicted and were taking russian bribe blood money

Others off the top of my head: it was world war 3 if Hilary was elected, bills gay dug fueled parties, hiliary has 6 months to live, obama in a turban, an awful Photoshop of a zombie like hiliary, hiliary cannot walk on her own anymore, worse than Watergate scandl

These reach millions of people and a lot probably don't care to research to see if it's true, or don't know that these tabloids go to extremes and how they get away with it

Late e: there has been absolutely nothing ever been any bad "reports" on Trump, and I think I read that he's friends with the national enquirer(by far the worst one), but I'm not sure

stringball fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Zipperelli. posted:

It got somewhat glossed over last page, but regarding supermarket tabloids like the Enquirer and such, what is saving their asses from getting sued out of this world for libel?

I've looked this up and I don't have a grasp on what is libel for popular/public figures, they'll make the case as drawn out and expensive as possible and any royalties they pay will be disputed

stringball fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 5, 2016

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Zipperelli. posted:

So they're free to write whatever they want, knowing full well that if it came to litigation, they'd just drag their feet, cost the plaintiff more money than it's worth, then dispute everything until the end of time?

What a garbage state of affairs.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/tabloid2.htm

Seems like it!

• Locked thread