Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
Would teaching people media literacy actually fix the problems we see with mainstream journalism though? I'm genuinely curious, because people seem to have decided that good journalism isn't profitable, in a world driven increasingly by Jobs And Growth. Breaking the back of 'fake news' and their funding model doesn't necessarily mean people will take their money to institutions that practice good journalism more often than not, right? At that point what do you do? If your job as a journalist rests on your employer deciding you make them enough money to justify your pay, how do you advocate for things that directly affect their bottom line? How do you hold the powerful to account when they stop talking to you because you think human rights aren't just an inconvenience to ignore? How do you shed light on government wrongdoing when breaking the story lands you in jail?

These aren't just hypothetical questions, incidentally, at least not here in Australia. Is it really as simple as teaching people to recognise when they're being fed a narrative rather than being told the truth, or are there other things that need to change? If so, what? How? And most importantly, how can an idiot goon on the internet do something to push things towards helpful change? I mean, I'm not saying there's not room to just vent about the state of media these days on this comedy internet forum, but are there things people could be doing instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread