Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
I think there's a pretty big gulf between the media reporting on someone who turned out to be lying about something that would otherwise be pretty mundane and the never ending stream of insanity that the fake news stuff is about. Like college rape is a pretty common thing, and there's not actually much fact checking a news site can do for that. Compare that with say, "Dearborne is under sharia law as MUSLIM savages rape your pure white women" poo poo that there's a whole literal loving industry built around. Not an industry around making claims or reporting garbage like that. A large well funded speaking circuit and think tanks built around that one single claim. Like even if you don't trust anyone but the dumb assholes who spawned the lie, you can GO VISIT DEARBORNE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Recoome posted:

This is a post I wrote for the Auspol thread, I'd like to write more but I'm phone posting. The story which features this "Jewish Council" was featured on mainstream news, including conservative commentators using it as an example of "bad protestors"

The greatest irony is that it's likely completely manufactured in order to make a point whilst still making Jews out to be a problem (A Jewish anti fascist group organized a demonstration), and this involves two controversial ultranationalist senators who try to paint themselves as a victim. Scary poo poo

This a step beyond the usual fake organisations that lovely garbage people use to establish authority like the Media Research Center or American College of Pediatricians.

• Locked thread