Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

I think the Zimdars list is rather unhelpful, since the way it includes websites that are merely heavily opinionated or have a clickbaity tone alongside sites that make things up out of whole cloth leads to a conflation of distinct issues. She does state that not everything on the list should be considered "fake news," but this point got lost, ironically, by the mainstream news sites reporting on it, and she really should have realized that would happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Fairness Doctrine was and is a terrible idea. The government shouldn't be in the business of determining whether news media has been fair to "both sides," or even when there are two meaningful sides of an issue to begin with. Do you really want the FCC under Trump having that kind of power?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Call Me Charlie posted:

Give :10bux: to Democracy Now. There's news sites out there doing good journalism, they just aren't the 'established and well-recognized news organizations'

I was about to respond to this by criticizing Democracy Now, but I looked at their website and it's a lot better than I remember it being. Was it always an OK site and I remembered wrong, or did it become less crazy at some point?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
While it's theoretically possible to put effort into fake journalism (in the pure or nearly-pure sense), few people actually bother, because that's not where the money is. See, e.g., https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...m=.62a594815660 and http://nymag.com/selectall/2016/11/can-facebook-solve-its-macedonian-fake-news-problem.html for discussion of the economics of this sort of thing; the goal is generally maximum clicks for minimum effort.

The incentives change where the motivation is more specific, but not by much. It's possible that there are people with financial ties the the chicken industry who would specifically try to bring down the pork industry with sophisticated lies about the USDA and hook worm cysts, but if they had enough impact to bring down pork sales, they'd get noticed enough to get into legal trouble.

Note that it is possible (and common) to spread sophisticated misinformation for the benefit of specific commercial interests, but people don't do it by fabricating USDA quotes; it's safer to fund think tanks that produce misleading but not completely fabricated statistics.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

No, that's the Washington Times.

Pretty sure the Times isn't fake news either, just conservative.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rent-A-Cop posted:

In the US to prove libel you must prove that statements were false and caused actual, measurable, financial damages. Simply proving that someone was mean to you in a magazine is not enough for libel. You have to prove that it was false, they knew it was false, and that it cost you money.

That's not quite right (the "knew it was false" standard is specifically for public figures, and "reckless disregard" of whether it was false counts too).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Toplowtech posted:

The Pizzagate is your classical "all lefties are pedophiles, he is a picture i wrote on a pizzabox to prove it to you" right-wing gutter tabloid propaganda (and it manage to make me angry by bringing indestructible tabloid UK meme "involve Madeleine McCann". At this point just accuse Hillary of raping batboy while shooting JFK, it would be more creative jesus) but yeah the effort to censor it off the internet in the name of fighting against FAKE NEWS(it's more of an admission classical media are unable to fight lovely conspiracy theories than anything else), is just going to allow it to spread with an aura of "so true, it's getting censored", it doesn't deserve.

Part of the problem is the difficulty of proving a negative. You can debunk some of the individual pieces of "evidence" being thrown around, but you can't affirmatively show that there's no child molestation going on at Comet Ping Pong. All you can do is point out that the evidence is super flimsy, and that's not enough for someone who's ideologically/emotionally motivated to believe it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah you can either ignore it or mock it. It's the current "Ted Cruz is the zodiac killer".

To be fair, there's actual specific evidence against that one, namely that the murders began before Cruz was born. Also, almost everyone who claims Ted Cruz is the Zodiac Killer is joking, while the Pizzagate people are mostly serious.

A better comparison would be the idea that Ted Cruz's father killed JFK. The evidence for it basically amounts to "he's Cuban and has dark hair."

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

rkajdi posted:

This is simply an extension of the same stuff that's been done with abortion clinics in the past. And I'm happily surprised that it didn't come to blows yesterday, though I don't see it getting better before it gets solved. But in the current broken state of the US, where people think Freedom of Speech means you can make actionable lies about public or private figures without any punishment. I guess now if you don't support the proper political candidate, the right-wing media can fabricate lies about you being a pedo until the tin foil hat brigade shows up to murder you. After all, we didn't do poo poo about it after George Tiller or any of people in CO Springs were killed by nuts who bought into the right-wing media's fabrications about these people. The ability to create a well crafted lie and repeat it ad naseum until one of the crazies out there finally snaps and does the bidding of the propaganda machine is a skill that's been honed for years and years with no actual punishment towards the perpetrators.

I don't remember any conspiracy theories about Tiller, and even in the Colorado Springs case, the false assertions were probably beside the point. Passionate rhetoric is not the same as a conspiracy theory.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 5, 2016

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

I'm not really interested in debating anyone. Hopefully a thread on fake news can really just be about fake news and not personal stuff.

Nice edit.

If you were serious about the suicidal thoughts thing, please seek therapy. :ohdear:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Byolante posted:

If you want to see what a paedo elites conspiracy looks like you could look at something that may have allegedly happened like Thatcher's cabinet and their alleged activities

Yeah, the weird thing is there's probably a fair amount of actual child rape by politicians and their buddies...but it's the pareidolia and not the more plausible allegations that take off on Reddit et al. I think some of this is partisanship; if Bill was raping girls on Epstein's jet, Donald probably was too, but the Pizzagate allegations are directed exclusively at Democrats (as far as I know). Some of it is also frustration at the lack of a "smoking gun," leading people to convince themselves that something totally innocent is a smoking gun. The weirder factor, though (which I don't really understand) is that it's not enough for some people that politicians are raping kids; they have to be doing it as part of a Satanic ritual. It's tempting to attribute this to an Evangelical religious background, but many of the people who latch onto this sort of thing seem to be non-religious. :iiam:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I read up way too much on pizzagate and one real thing I did take away from it is that John Podesta seems to be into really creepy art. I'm not saying that means anything other than Podesta is into really creepy art, though. Who is it? Marina Abramović? Yeah that broad is nuts.

That's not Pizzagate, that's #SpiritCooking. Get it right. :colbert:

Is Podesta himself even into her art? I thought that was just his brother. His brother is the one who attended her dinner parties, anyway.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

the black husserl posted:

It hasn't come up much but a big part of all this is about demonizing the whole concept of strange art and weirdo ideas. A lot the #pizzagaters sincerely believe that all-ages rock shows, punk rock bands named "Sex Stains", and creating dark/challenging/weird art are all behaviors of a morally degenerate culture that might as well be practicing pedophilia

It's an attitude that disappeared from America for a while (especially in the gloriously weird 60s + 90s) but its making a resurgence with the renewed right-wing

Not only on the right-wing...

https://twitter.com/NickKristof/status/805090792696123392

Getting a bit far afield from fake news, but I can't help but roll my eyes at the pearl-clutching here. Does Kristof really not have any friends who watch, say, Game of Thrones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

54.4 crowns posted:

Also checkout this dozy

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...tack?src=usn_fb

Fake-news....fake Brown Moses.

What an incredibly stupid idea.

quote:

"It's way beyond fake news," Cohen says. "Our focus is on taking very complex, typically controversial issues where you have lots of evidence in different directions, sometimes conflicting evidence, evidence with different reliabilities – where us humans, because of all kinds of cognitive flaws, just aren't able to deal with so much information – and coming up with the right conclusion."

An algorithm that can replace journalistic, scientific, and historical judgment...based on the kind of programs that randomly get in the way of my paying my rent every so often. lol

I'm a little shocked that US News & World Report is covering them so credulously, though. I don't actually read USN&WR often, but I was under the impression it was a respectable publication.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 10, 2016

• Locked thread