Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Polygynous posted:

That's snopes' take on it, yes. There's no indication John Podesta and the artist have ever met, or even how much he knows of her at all. But his brother likes some weird performance artist so that means Hillary's a satanist. I give up.
It hasn't come up much but a big part of all this is about demonizing the whole concept of strange art and weirdo ideas. A lot the #pizzagaters sincerely believe that all-ages rock shows, punk rock bands named "Sex Stains", and creating dark/challenging/weird art are all behaviors of a morally degenerate culture that might as well be practicing pedophilia

It's an attitude that disappeared from America for a while (especially in the gloriously weird 60s + 90s) but its making a resurgence with the renewed right-wing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

Getting a bit far afield from fake news, but I can't help but roll my eyes at the pearl-clutching here. Does Kristof really not have any friends who watch, say, Game of Thrones?
Not that Kristof isn't a dumb guy, but I think you're slightly misreading him here. Titus Andronicus is famously regarded as being poorly written and terribly stupid, the general consensus is that it's on the level of a grindhouse B-movie and not really worthy of being in the Shakespeare canon. Kristof's first sentence isn't his justification for the second, he's just referencing how gory and over-the-top of a play it is to try and score some points by critiquing Bannon's low taste.

He's definitely not suggesting that any art that references rape or cannibalism is automatically degenerate, which is how a lot of the PIzzagaters have realized they feel. In another era they'd be burning D&D books, but it's different from the typical puritanism. Think more along the lines of "gently caress HIPPIES" or the virulent hatred that exists for nonconformist dressers.

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 7, 2016

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

This isn't 100% on topic because it isn't a completely fake article from a fake website being shared on Facebook, but it's truly important to the topic of Fake News (2016 propaganda). My browsing history is full of politics searches and I was just served this (highly targeted) ad on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CydPR2SQJSY
Don't forget that the "Hilary will start a war with Russia and only Donald Trump can bring peace" narrative was a complete fabrication from Russian propaganda farms. And now this.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Tim Raines IRL posted:

while most/all of pizzagate is schizophrenia and not evidence of some vast conspiracy, the idea that the extremely wealthy and powerful don't get their most extreme fetishes satisfied strikes me as naive. I don't believe the ridiculous illuminati/super-cabal theory. I think there are probably all kinds of politicians and superrich people diddling kids, I bet some of them do it in groups, but I'd be sorta shocked if there was a top-down structure where you pay $10k to be a Level-1 Illuminati Kid Diddler and then $100K to be a Level-2. So, that's where the pizzagate narrative immediately runs off the rails, but the starting premise of ".01%ers are probably doing all kinds of illegal poo poo all the time and not getting in trouble for it" seems like a no duh.
Nah, there isn't some secret culture of pedophilia* among the ultra-rich any more than there are Satanic Sex Cults in Memphis TN. Pedophilia manifests among the rich exactly like it does in the poor: a vile compulsion that some people act on. The "120 Days of Sodom" thing you're imagining just isn't really happening any more in America outside of FLDS camps and other religious cults.

What DOES actually exist is 100% factual child prostitution rings. Underage sex workers (really they're slaves, they can't leave and get paid very little if nothing at all) are shipped in from economically depressed regions in eastern europe and southeast asia on rotations and then shipped out again. Sometimes they get busted, most of the time they don't. The fact that these exist tells you that if you have the money and the connections, you can indeed purchase underage sex. Which is loving nightmarish and I can't believe it happens in 2016 America. But it doesn't mean there's a culture at work beyond pure naked capitalism. This is free-market thinking taken to its natural conclusion.

*A lot of people instinctually feel that the ultra-rich MUST be engaging in pedophilia behind closed doors because they know the rich are evil and love to use power to stomp on the weak, and pedophilia is the ultimate expression of that power. I'm one of them but I know there's no evidence it's true. I honestly think most people just hate the rich but it's societally unacceptable to criticize them for not sharing their wealth, so instead we fantasize about all the evil things they do when the peasants aren't looking. I think this plays a big part in Pizza Gate, rather than Fake News. People were already willing to believe and a pizza restaurant is as good as any. That's what makes it such great propaganda.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Byolante posted:

While this is a nice idea it doesn't fit with what Yewtree and the later operations found in the UK, and as another WASPish country I strongly doubt the US would be different.

I'm not sure what you mean. Yewtree was a group of pedophiles who worked together in British entertainment using their unique access to children to commit serial abuse. Monstrous, but what does it have to do with the US? No evidence of a system or culture of pedophilia was found (thank god), just a bunch of rich criminals and the enablers who didn't want to report them because it might cost their jobs.

quote:

The offences were mostly opportunistic, although child grooming was involved in some cases.[104][106] The first and final known offences were in 1955 and 2009 respectively.[102][104] The period containing most frequent offending was between 1966 and '76 (when he was aged 40–50),[103][104][106] coinciding with his "peak [celebrity] status".[111] The most frequent offending was during 1975 and '76 with each year having 15 offences recorded in it.[112]

The exact same type of horror went down at Penn State. Are you suggesting that there's a culture of child abuse at Penn State? Or is it more likely one pedophile committed awful crimes and a bunch of cowards were too chickenshit to call him out? Either way, your conviction that a culture of serial child abuse absolutely must exist in the US, completely independent of any evidence, is why theories like Pizzagate are perfectly suited for the current climate. Expect many more of them in the future.

• Locked thread