Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

A Deacon posted:

For instance: CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, The New York Times, The Guardian, The Washington Post, and even supposedly prestigious "economists" like Paul Krugman were—and still are—insisting that Donald Trump was working for the Kremlin in one way or another. I have even seen people like Bill Maher and John Oliver give credence to this neo-McCarthyist horseshit.

Is the clear alignment of the trump campaign with putin somehow no longer a real thing? Also how is it remotely "McCarthyist"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

I actually think we're over a tipping point on fascism. We are going to be losing some rights. I'm also violently liberal. Why my questioning of those headlines leads to people assuming I'm a conservative defending guns or pizzagate or trying to suppress fallout is beyond me. Are you reading into my posting for a slant in the same way people tend to read into media for slant? If so, that's magnificently meta.

Dunno where you're coming from but I don't see making a the connection between crazy pizzagate conspiracy theorists on the internet and people going crazy IRL as a stretch.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

boner confessor posted:

so you're defining fake news as "something which only exists on social media and began in 2016"? tabloid journalism and the half-penny press are over a century old. the john birch society was founded in 1958. fortean times is from 1973. coast to coast am started broadcasting in 1984. drudge report kicked off in 1996. internet hoaxes have been around longer than that. the problem isn't new, mass awareness of and anger towards the problem is new - before 2016 people didn't feel as injured by fake news, it was something to laugh at rather than a potential reason that trump won the election

So you're saying that fake news should definitely still be an important issue.

• Locked thread