Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Potato Salad posted:

So, articles right now aren't pushing what could be called outright fake news, but more of the FAU "falsehood slipping alongside truth" in headlines is taking place regarding Pizzagate in the states and it's pissing me off, and it's anger directed at my side of the political spectrum. Headlines are trying to tie Pizzagate directly to violence here:

Are you suggesting that this person would have done what he did regardless of this pizzagate thing? Otherwise isn't it directly related?

I don't know why I put question marks on the end of those. You are suggesting that. Let me tell you. Nobody would have fired their gun in a pizzeria while "investigating Pizzagate" if there were not a bunch of gibbering trump stans posting all over the internet about pizzagate. I'm sorry that your side of the political spectrum makes your side of the political spectrum look bad. Present company included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Polygynous posted:

That's snopes' take on it, yes. There's no indication John Podesta and the artist have ever met, or even how much he knows of her at all. But his brother likes some weird performance artist so that means Hillary's a satanist. I give up.

By weird performance artist we are talking about weird as compared to mainstream (which performance art itself is not). She is the most famous/celebrated performance artist in the world. It's like if he wore a Led Zeppelin t-shirt and people said it was an underground band with a lot of songs that seemed to reference satan.

Mr. Belding fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 7, 2016

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

the black husserl posted:

It hasn't come up much but a big part of all this is about demonizing the whole concept of strange art and weirdo ideas. A lot the #pizzagaters sincerely believe that all-ages rock shows, punk rock bands named "Sex Stains", and creating dark/challenging/weird art are all behaviors of a morally degenerate culture that might as well be practicing pedophilia

It's an attitude that disappeared from America for a while (especially in the gloriously weird 60s + 90s) but its making a resurgence with the renewed right-wing

I first started to see a lot of this during gamergate, which could be due to it being my first serious exposure to the alt right. It was also a turning point for a lot burgeoning proto-fascists. There was a lot of conflict about whether games could or should be regarded as art, and a lot of resentment over the idea that artistic games don't necessarily have to be fun, but instead they aim engage the player emotionally, philosophically, or intellectually. These sorts of games will always have an "agenda" which may challenge the players pre-existing beliefs. It's not fun being told you may be wrong!

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

boner confessor posted:

uhh i dont think anyone "lets off" ISIS. like all any news outlet needs to do is publish ISIS' declaration of "recent violence? oh yeah, we inspired that, it's all on us" and hundreds of thousands of people flock on social media to denounce islam

That's what he's saying. We don't say "Hey, now. ISIS doesn't really have anything to do with this," when someone treats their rhetoric as factual and uses it as an excuse to commit terror. Why should we do that in the case that people treat pizzagate accusations seriously. Honestly, if someone truly believes that children are being raped in the basement of a pizza shop, they should probably go set those poor kids free! So using flimsy evidence to convince someone that children are being raped in the basement of a pizza shop makes one a least partially responsible when the predictable reaction occurs.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

the black husserl posted:

I'm not sure what you mean. Yewtree was a group of pedophiles who worked together in British entertainment using their unique access to children to commit serial abuse. Monstrous, but what does it have to do with the US? No evidence of a system or culture of pedophilia was found (thank god), just a bunch of rich criminals and the enablers who didn't want to report them because it might cost their jobs.

We almost certainly have/had similar groups operating in our entertainment industry.There are enough people who claim to have been victims that I think it extremely unlikely that they are all lying about it. The Catholic Church admitted to protecting and enabling child abusers, up to and included bringing them home to Rome to avoid extradition. The Franklin Coverup is almost certainly true in part.

Basically serial child abusers work together to give each other cover and access to children.

• Locked thread