Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
How in the gently caress do you make this about rape when the whole point was your obsession with anything relating to technology?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Taffer posted:

Stop making stupid assumptions and acting like they are fact. This is why everyone called you a bad poster. The only thing that article tells us is that Musk thinks his dad is a bad person and a criminal. Nothing more.

I mean I think he's a bad poster because of his blind worship of technology too

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey look it's footage of the crash

https://twitter.com/brahmresnik/status/976587029390663680?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2F

Turns out it was traveling at an unsafe speed, should have detected her, and a more alert driver would probably have been able to at least hit the brakes, which the car didn't

Fuckin wild almost like oocc is just jacking off

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Looking at that exterior video, I can't say I wouldn't have hit her either, even being fully alert. Could just be the video making the outside look darker than human perception would have been, though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Looking at that exterior video, I can't say I wouldn't have hit her either, even being fully alert. Could just be the video making the outside look darker than human perception would have been, though.

It's this, cameras are poo poo at perceiving things in low slash inconsistent light, people are surprisingly better at it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also, the car uses LIDAR which operates independently of the headlights

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Kerning Chameleon posted:

there's that, plus you are not equipped with lidar, which itself is a light emitting sensor (laser light, usually infrared or ultraviolet)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I can't wait for oocc, having been proven wrong, to never talk about this again

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also, the car uses LIDAR which operates independently of the headlights

I'm not saying there wasn't a failure of the system that needs to be analyzed and corrected going forward, or that the backup driver wasn't as attentive as he should have been, or that Uber in general are shitheels who cocked up and will likely continue to cock up, but I also won't say that I as a human driver could've done much better myself in that situation. And I've eaten an airbag in a rear-end collision once in a situation that in hindsight I absolutely could've responded to better had I not panicked.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'll say it, I would not have hit that lady

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'll say it, I would not have hit that lady

ditto, cause if it was as dark as it looks in that video i would not be driving that fast. or I would have my brights on.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
did that lady have any open warrants? this is important

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I can't wait for oocc, having been proven wrong, to never talk about this again

Just like I am sure you will never talk about the Chief of Police's statement:

“it appears that the Uber would likely not be at fault,”

“It’s very clear it would have been difficult to avoid this collision in any kind of mode” — self-driving or human-driven — “based on how she came from the shadows right into the roadway,” Moir told the Chronicle.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

“It’s very clear it would have been difficult to avoid this collision in any kind of mode” — self-driving or human-driven — “based on how she came from the shadows right into the roadway,” Moir told the Chronicle.

so you don't know what lidar is? cause shadows like that aren't a problem for lasers

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah that's bullshit given the actual footage but good on you not addressing that

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah that's bullshit given the actual footage but good on you not addressing that

this conspiracy goes right to the chief of police!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

In a way, yeah. Police all over the country don't really like investigating vehicle fatalities unless the circumstances are incredibly obvious. It's an open secret that you can get away with murder as long as you do it with your car while sober.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

even if you ignore that the light emitting sensors the car was equipped with are not affected by "shadows", you don't have an actual excuse for the way the car was driving. lets go ahead and analyze your dumb claim that the car could only see what was illuminated by its headlights (even though that's completely untrue). if that was the case, why was the vehicle travelling at a speed at which it would be impossible for it to react to anything coming into it's limited range of visibility? the woman did not pop out of some bushes, or dash into the path of the car, or any of the other bs theories you were trying to spin before. she was walking slowly, and the time between her being visible in the video and the car hitting her is one second. too short for any corrective action to be taken. and that would be the same issue if she wasn't jaywalking. if it was another car, the uber car wouldn't be able to react in time in your scenario. if you believe that its visibility was so severely hampered, then it was clearly driving at a ludicrously unsafe speed and uber is responsible for this woman's death.

however, the facts are much simpler. the car could detect her on account of the multiple sensor arrays it had that are not affected by darkness, and failed to do so and ran over her at full speed. case closed, uber was at fault for this woman's death.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Do you have anything to say about the footage or are you just going to scream about everyone else constructing conspiracy theories a page after you said Elon musk was raped by his father

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also, he's not wrong, uber won't be at fault

Doesn't mean they aren't responsible for it, they're just not going to face any consequences whatsoever

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
OOCC is bad, but at least he's not the main pro-torture poster in the murder sub thread.

That guy kept trying to justify having fantasies of torturing the killer. He appealed to biotruths, accused us of being in denial about human nature, and posted the Mussolini hung up on a meat hook photo.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Do you have anything to say about the footage or are you just going to scream about everyone else constructing conspiracy theories a page after you said Elon musk was raped by his father

Are you going to stop shitposting at some point? I'd rather read people discussing the topic instead of you winning the thread with your critiquing of OOCC.

I don't see anything in the footage that makes me think a human driver would've reacted better than what we saw. Look at the interior view, the guy looks up in time to see her and reacts in less than a second and still hits her. These kinds of accidents happen all the time, an automated car should've performed better.

I think the car definitely did a poor job, nothing in that video makes me think the vehicle should've performed poorly in that situation. My guess is that the bike had something to do with the malfunction. Hopefully they figure out what went wrong and pay out the rear end to the persons family.

Is everyone just guessing that the vehicle is driving too fast for the road or has that been confirmed somewhere?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wow you mean someone who isn't actively driving isn't paying as close of attention to the road as a driver would be? No poo poo? Goddamn

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What do you know that the chief of police doesn’t?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What do you know that the chief of police doesn’t?

So just to confirm, you're not going to talk about the footage at all, because someone said that Uber wasn't at fault and we all know the police are never wrong about that

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"the lady probably ran out in the road right in front of the car"

*Footage gets posted that directly contradicts this*

"Wow you guys and your conspiracy theories"

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-43459138

Automation is going to hit poor countries too.

[quote="Robots and automation: How Africa is at risk
"]
ODI's report, Digitalisation and the Future of Manufacturing in Africa , found that in furniture manufacturing, the cost of operating robots and 3D printers in the US will be cheaper than Kenyan wages by 2034.

In Ethiopia, ODI predicts robotic automation will be cheaper than Ethiopian workers between 2038 and 2042.

This gives the continent between one to two decades to build up its capabilities in sectors less at risk of automation, "such as food and beverages, garments, metals", the report writes.
[/quote]

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

So just to confirm, you're not going to talk about the footage at all, because someone said that Uber wasn't at fault and we all know the police are never wrong about that

Are you going to watch 9/11 footage too and try to point out all the ways your interpretation beats the official government lies?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Are you going to watch 9/11 footage too and try to point out all the ways your interpretation beats the official government lies?

Are you serious right now

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
“We don’t need redundant brakes & steering, or a fancy new car, we need better software,” then-Google engineer Anthony Levandowski wrote in an email to Larry Page in January 2016. “To get to that better software faster we should deploy the first 1000 cars asap. I don’t understand why we are not doing that. Part of our team seems to be afraid to ship.” Shortly thereafter, Levandowski would leave to found his own self-driving trucking company, which was quickly acquired by Uber.

New York Magazine once attributed Levandowski as saying, “I’m pissed we didn’t have the first death,” to a group of Uber engineers after a driver died in a Tesla on autopilot in 2016. (Levandowski has denied ever saying it).

But saying that it might be ubers fault is a conspiracy theory

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Are you serious right now

Like you are the first guy on the internet that watched a video and knew better than the officials. Tell me about how the dust in the moon landing isn't what you expect so anyone with eyes can see it was made on a soundstage or whatever.

What is your theory on why the chief of police said that while watching the same video as you and what qualifications do you have in interpreting crash video that she doesn't?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like you are the first guy on the internet that watched a video and knew better than the officials. Tell me about how the dust in the moon landing isn't what you expect so anyone with eyes can see it was made on a soundstage or whatever.

What is your theory on why the chief of police said that while watching the same video as you and what qualifications do you have in interpreting crash video that she doesn't?

Oocc have you ever been critical of technology once in your idiot life

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oocc remember when you were posting about how clearly there was no way the driver was distracted and to imply otherwise was a conspiracy theory, because you don't know what that means, and then whoops turns out

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Oocc have you ever been critical of technology once in your idiot life

You got any reasoning why you are more an expert than that police chief or this just some jet fuel can’t melt steel beams thing?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Wow it has been a pretty terrible 24 hours for OOCC posts.

Literally you are the worst poster I have ever seen on these forums. There are no words to describe how unimaginably stupid you are.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You got any reasoning why you are more an expert than that police chief or this just some jet fuel can’t melt steel beams thing?

Do you have any argument based on the actual footage or just an appeal o authority who, let's not forget, didn't say why Uber would likely not be at fault, just that they would, likely, not be at fault, with nothing to back it up

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

GEMorris posted:

Wow it has been a pretty terrible 24 hours for OOCC posts.

Literally you are the worst poster I have ever seen on these forums. There are no words to describe how unimaginably stupid you are.

He hasn't changed a whit in ten years

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ElCondemn posted:

Are you going to stop shitposting at some point? I'd rather read people discussing the topic instead of you winning the thread with your critiquing of OOCC.

I don't see anything in the footage that makes me think a human driver would've reacted better than what we saw. Look at the interior view, the guy looks up in time to see her and reacts in less than a second and still hits her. These kinds of accidents happen all the time, an automated car should've performed better.

I think the car definitely did a poor job, nothing in that video makes me think the vehicle should've performed poorly in that situation. My guess is that the bike had something to do with the malfunction. Hopefully they figure out what went wrong and pay out the rear end to the persons family.

Is everyone just guessing that the vehicle is driving too fast for the road or has that been confirmed somewhere?

Serious question - why didn’t the LIDAR pick anything up?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Do you have any argument based on the actual footage or just an appeal o authority who, let's not forget, didn't say why Uber would likely not be at fault, just that they would, likely, not be at fault, with nothing to back it up

If I’m so dumb why would I have more expert knowlage of on the video than someone that deals with car accidents professionally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If I’m so dumb why would I have more expert knowlage of on the video than someone that deals with car accidents professionally?

so, again, you have nothing to go off of other than "someone in authority said it with no justification"

glad we cleared that up

• Locked thread