Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

We are going to have computers that can do literally every single possible task a human does

fortunately that means a computer wont have to gently caress you either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ElCondemn posted:

You don't even have any information about the situation, you're just fear mongering.

I'm not sure what you mean by no oversight, these companies have licenses with the locations they operate. If they are found unsafe their rights to operate are revoked.

If your standard is to have autonomous cars be perfect it's not going to happen, it's a stupid thing to expect, at least at first. But I can guarantee you that an autonomous vehicle will do better than the vast majority of drivers on the road and I trust technology more than I do some rando on the road.

A hydrophobic coating is worth its price in blood!

I mean we have the information necessary, that there was a human safety driver. We also can reasonably assume that being a glorified passenger and back up driver does not require you to pay as much attention to your surroundings as actively operating a vehicle does. You're hust mad people are saying bad words about Uber

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Neither did the human. You can post some conspiracy theory that he was taking a nap or playing a gameboy or something instead of doing his job but with the information we have now neither the computer nor the person paid to watch the road for this stuff made any reaction.

It's not a conspiracy theory to think that they weren't paying attention in the same way they would have been if they were actively driving, dipshit. Nobody is saying they were doing anything they weren't supposed to, just that sitting mostly passively isn't conducive to having lightning reflexes when something actually happens

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also "the person didn't do anything either" is not an absolution of your precious robocar fuckwit

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If the woman stepped out in a way that required lightning reflexes to avoid that is a very different story than if the car austin powers steamrollered her because self driving cars were fake all along and this finally exposes it.

Yes because it's far more likely that she was trying to put herself under the wheels and stepped in front of a car doing forty that was close enough that they wouldn't have time to even apply brakes

You realize "like a flash" is a colloquial term that just means "I didn't realize it was about to happen until it was happening" and not "actually it was physically impossible for anyone including a computer to respond in time" right

It does literally nothing to disprove what I said

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oocc would rather blame a dead person than admit that technology isn't a force of pure good and light

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tei posted:

Technology saves many lives, thats a fact. Most of us will not even exist if not where to technology.

Lets wait and see if they find something wrong happened here.

Self driving cars on the other hand are clearly not saving lives

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There was a person at the wheel too! you are blaming a human either way!

I don't understand why you would blame the safety driver over a dead lady shrieks oocc

Also I'm not blaming the safety driver, I'm blaming automated cars and noting that "safety drivers" are not as effective as ordinary drivers thanks to the passivity of the role, hth

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Besmirching the good name of a living man that sat in the driver's seat while the car killed someone and just assuming he was negligent at his job or stupid or beguiled by a machine witch or something before any investigation is done to see if the accident was even avoidable to begin with.

I would not expect a passenger to be able to yank the wheel in time to avert an accident, I'm not blaming the safety driver at all, stop ignoring me saying that to claim people are blaming him

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Me: the inherent passivity of being a safety driver instead of being actively engaged in driving and paying attention to the road combined with the time necessary to switch to manual mode makes safety drivers not really a great failsafe

Oocc: how dare you say he masturbated while the car ran her over

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You: the driver in the car is very inconvenient to my narrative so I need to remove him via some weird handwavy claim that the accident happened in a time scale where the car should have reacted but didn't but a driver in the car couldn't possibly react but then a driver in a non self driving car definitely could have reacted.

Like what are you claiming that time range is? That seems extremely specific and narrow.

How is reaction time for something you're passively vs actively engaged in a handwave oocc, and why do you keep strawmanning people as blaming the human in the car

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think people aren't blaming the driver, because they know that it was likely an unavoidable accident (or a negligent test driver) and are trying to cook up some extra contrived situation where you can't blame the driver in the car but can still blame the car. So they have to be sure that the accident took place in the ultra thin number of milliseconds where a non-negligent but not engaged test driver could not have stopped things and can not be blamed but that if a real driver was in the car he would have saved the day.

You're an absolute loving moron

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tei posted:

Less traffic accidents will save lives. Many.

Then you will have the anecdotal case of pregnant women being driven to a hospital, or very ill person driven to a hospital. Is easy to imagine how many lives will be saved from people that need to go to a hospital but cant drive.

Agreed, its good that we finally found a way to get people who can't drive to the hospital, which we've been struggling with for years

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

In lots of states the ambulance driver is an EMT who has to spend half the ride just driving instead of providing medical care. That would be pretty nice to free up.

I mean there's usually more than one for that exact reason

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tei posted:

Dear Benghazi2.

I have consider you suggest to say "gently caress you and get a ambulance" to everyone that need to go a hospital and can't drive. Like old people, infants, pregnant womens.

While I consider your suggestion valuable, and have a point heres the standard reply.

No, gently caress You, insensitive clod.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ah yes the insensitivity of pointing out that a thing already exists and that self driving cars doesn't actually fix the problem with that thing and instead creates new ones how dare i

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

In lots of states the ambulance driver is an EMT who has to spend half the ride just driving instead of providing medical care. That would be pretty nice to free up.

Who's providing medical care in your robot car, oocc

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Teal posted:

I'm trying to figure out what kind of reaction would getting BENGHAZI 2 and Owlofcreamcheese to touch lead to, so far the model predicts a high volume of angry energy and two shitpostrinos

Him getting swirlied

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ElCondemn posted:

I would love to eliminate bad drivers, EMTs who are actively disrupting normal traffic seem like a great candidate for automation.

It's clear you're just getting off on death cars murdering pedestrians! What an rear end in a top hat! /s

It's weird how neither of you can get your heads around there being a difference between passive and active engagement and a corresponding response time without it being a conspiracy theory or some insane strawman poo poo that nobody has said, instead of engaging with what they're actually saying, and also not making a million excuses for why it's not bad that someone was hit by a robocar

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also holy poo poo how do you have EMTs without disrupting normal traffic, even in an ideal world with robot cars they would have to give driving priority to the big truck going wee woo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The conspiracy theory is your certainty that you are somehow sure that this is a case where that thin difference between active and inactive engagement is what lead to the death because you can't have it be that the time was so short that no one could have done anything regardless but you can't have it be so long that someone was being negligent at their job. So you have to believe the accident happened in the exact 100 ms where the driver isn't at fault but could have stopped it if he had been active driving.

You don't know what a conspiracy theory is, which is unsurprising because you're just dumb as poo poo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I get told all the time "your anecdote means nothing, the numbers are the numbers" on this very forum, and that's what this single data point is: an anecdote. Now, if this sort of thing continues to happen, and at a verifiably higher rate than the Average Human DriverTM? Then, yes, that's cause for concern and debate, but at the moment, using this one very tragic but statistically irrelevant event to declare "SELF-DRIVING VEHICLES ARE NOT AND NEVER BE VIABLE WE SHOULD END ALL SUCH RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT IMMEDIATELY IN LIGHT OF THIS TRAGEDY" strikes me as chicken little-y and kind of disingenuous.

I mean, for example, I personally believe more and more humans-in-spaceships exploration of space is more and more a R&D dead-end, but you don't see me using the Challenger and Columbia tragedies as my evidence for why all human space travel needs to be shuttered ASAP.

Do you also handwave those away as being totally unavoidable and actually not a problem with shuttle design

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, he said his dad did the most evil crime imaginable while sobbing, he could mean tax evasion or something but there is a pretty short list of crimes that people typically call "the most evil crimes imaginable" or that make people cry to think about.

I mean maybe he ordered a bunch of striking workers to be shot, doesn't have to be him doing the rapes

Funny that you can screech about other people having conspiracy theories tho

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yes, when elon musk said "Almost every evil thing you could possibly think of, he has done." and started crying I am sure he was talking about strikebreaking.

Mass murder is pretty bad but you're right we all know he doesn't give a poo poo about workers rights

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, if it was someone other than elon musk that said " Almost every crime you can possibly think of, he has done. Almost every evil thing you could possibly think of, he has done. It's so terrible, you can't believe it,"" while publically crying what crimes would you assume they are talking about?

Your awful posting

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Taffer posted:

Stop making stupid assumptions and acting like they are fact. This is why everyone called you a bad poster. The only thing that article tells us is that Musk thinks his dad is a bad person and a criminal. Nothing more.

I mean I think he's a bad poster because of his blind worship of technology too

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey look it's footage of the crash

https://twitter.com/brahmresnik/status/976587029390663680?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.somethingawful.com%2F

Turns out it was traveling at an unsafe speed, should have detected her, and a more alert driver would probably have been able to at least hit the brakes, which the car didn't

Fuckin wild almost like oocc is just jacking off

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Looking at that exterior video, I can't say I wouldn't have hit her either, even being fully alert. Could just be the video making the outside look darker than human perception would have been, though.

It's this, cameras are poo poo at perceiving things in low slash inconsistent light, people are surprisingly better at it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also, the car uses LIDAR which operates independently of the headlights

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I can't wait for oocc, having been proven wrong, to never talk about this again

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'll say it, I would not have hit that lady

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Just like I am sure you will never talk about the Chief of Police's statement:

“it appears that the Uber would likely not be at fault,”

“It’s very clear it would have been difficult to avoid this collision in any kind of mode” — self-driving or human-driven — “based on how she came from the shadows right into the roadway,” Moir told the Chronicle.

Yeah that's bullshit given the actual footage but good on you not addressing that

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

this conspiracy goes right to the chief of police!

Do you have anything to say about the footage or are you just going to scream about everyone else constructing conspiracy theories a page after you said Elon musk was raped by his father

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also, he's not wrong, uber won't be at fault

Doesn't mean they aren't responsible for it, they're just not going to face any consequences whatsoever

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wow you mean someone who isn't actively driving isn't paying as close of attention to the road as a driver would be? No poo poo? Goddamn

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What do you know that the chief of police doesn’t?

So just to confirm, you're not going to talk about the footage at all, because someone said that Uber wasn't at fault and we all know the police are never wrong about that

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"the lady probably ran out in the road right in front of the car"

*Footage gets posted that directly contradicts this*

"Wow you guys and your conspiracy theories"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Are you going to watch 9/11 footage too and try to point out all the ways your interpretation beats the official government lies?

Are you serious right now

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
“We don’t need redundant brakes & steering, or a fancy new car, we need better software,” then-Google engineer Anthony Levandowski wrote in an email to Larry Page in January 2016. “To get to that better software faster we should deploy the first 1000 cars asap. I don’t understand why we are not doing that. Part of our team seems to be afraid to ship.” Shortly thereafter, Levandowski would leave to found his own self-driving trucking company, which was quickly acquired by Uber.

New York Magazine once attributed Levandowski as saying, “I’m pissed we didn’t have the first death,” to a group of Uber engineers after a driver died in a Tesla on autopilot in 2016. (Levandowski has denied ever saying it).

But saying that it might be ubers fault is a conspiracy theory

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like you are the first guy on the internet that watched a video and knew better than the officials. Tell me about how the dust in the moon landing isn't what you expect so anyone with eyes can see it was made on a soundstage or whatever.

What is your theory on why the chief of police said that while watching the same video as you and what qualifications do you have in interpreting crash video that she doesn't?

Oocc have you ever been critical of technology once in your idiot life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oocc remember when you were posting about how clearly there was no way the driver was distracted and to imply otherwise was a conspiracy theory, because you don't know what that means, and then whoops turns out

• Locked thread