Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ElCondemn posted:

Seems like the human driver didn't have the reaction speed to prevent it either, not sure what you expect?

the autonomous system didn't even try to prevent the accident. it never applied the brakes and plowed in to her at 40mph (the speed limit of the street)

pangstrom posted:

I kind of hope that when they release the victim's name it's Sarah Conner.

it was Elaine Herzberg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Looking at that exterior video, I can't say I wouldn't have hit her either, even being fully alert. Could just be the video making the outside look darker than human perception would have been, though.

there's that, plus you are not equipped with lidar, which itself is a light emitting sensor (laser light, usually infrared or ultraviolet)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'll say it, I would not have hit that lady

ditto, cause if it was as dark as it looks in that video i would not be driving that fast. or I would have my brights on.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Just like I am sure you will never talk about the Chief of Police's statement:

“it appears that the Uber would likely not be at fault,”

“It’s very clear it would have been difficult to avoid this collision in any kind of mode” — self-driving or human-driven — “based on how she came from the shadows right into the roadway,” Moir told the Chronicle.

so you don't know what lidar is? cause shadows like that aren't a problem for lasers

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

this conspiracy goes right to the chief of police!

even if you ignore that the light emitting sensors the car was equipped with are not affected by "shadows", you don't have an actual excuse for the way the car was driving. lets go ahead and analyze your dumb claim that the car could only see what was illuminated by its headlights (even though that's completely untrue). if that was the case, why was the vehicle travelling at a speed at which it would be impossible for it to react to anything coming into it's limited range of visibility? the woman did not pop out of some bushes, or dash into the path of the car, or any of the other bs theories you were trying to spin before. she was walking slowly, and the time between her being visible in the video and the car hitting her is one second. too short for any corrective action to be taken. and that would be the same issue if she wasn't jaywalking. if it was another car, the uber car wouldn't be able to react in time in your scenario. if you believe that its visibility was so severely hampered, then it was clearly driving at a ludicrously unsafe speed and uber is responsible for this woman's death.

however, the facts are much simpler. the car could detect her on account of the multiple sensor arrays it had that are not affected by darkness, and failed to do so and ran over her at full speed. case closed, uber was at fault for this woman's death.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

here's a vid someone posted showing the actual lighting conditions on the road the uber AV hit that lady

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XOVxSCG8u0&t=32s

so even more indefensible. uber killed someone with their janky tech

Condiv fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 22, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, they released the video first because it's a human readable format. It's a lot easier to tweet out a video than like, an array of hundreds of thousands of [x,y,z] points. They might release a rendering from the lidar data later, but it's more steps to make that than just release a video that is viewable as is.

(even the direct video has people complaining that it looks like raw video off a camera instead of an iphone video where the phone heavily processes the data to make it more viewable)

lol the people working on self driving autonomous vehicles can’t map 3D data to a 2D video format

That’s some high grade bullshit

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

They haven't said they won't or can't release lidar renderings, just they haven't done so as fast as they released video. Since video is a lot less steps to release.

it doesn't take a day or two days or three days to produce that rendering oocc

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Render what? data clouds? depth maps? concentric circles? volumentic? false color? color overlay?

Like they didn't say they aren't releasing something but it's not like they are just gonna dump the data in the free version of unity and export the first thing they can mash their hand into.

You’re trying to make this way more complicated than it is. :jerkbag:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Not really, those super pretty videos of lidar use a ton of interpolation, and smoothing and sanding the models it generaties. It's really cool, but if you are looking for like, an accident reconstruction they aren't what you should use. But if you just released a video of the raw point cloud or something it'd look like a crazy mess of points jittering all around.

They haven't said they won't release any of the data, and they probably will release it, but like, generating a video that would be useable in the court system wouldn't be a one click no decisions thing. Figuring out how to saw off the random noise to make a useable video but not hide noise that may have impacted the event isn't something you can do as easy or fast as just posting a sensor camera footage unmodified.

No one said it’s as fast as raw camera footage. It’s deffo not a multi day process though. Like I said, you’re making it out to be more difficult than it is

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

ElCondemn posted:

I don't know how useful a visual representation of a point cloud is going to be, that's not how this poo poo works. Even if you as a human see a visual representation and can say "I can see a person" doesn't mean that's how the model they're working with sees it.

that's a problem with their model then

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like what are they releasing to who?

The investigators certainly would want the raw data and not care about some pretty PR video they made out of it, and they probably are handing that stuff over asap.

for something to release to you, they gotta think a lot on what specifically to release so they aren't sanding it down so much it's misrepresenting the data by making some absolutely perfect 3d models but also not giving it so unfiltered that the public is gonna do some "the car drives by this random swarm of dots! of course it crashed! you can't tell a thing that is happening!"

again, you're making it more complicated than it is. don't claim they couldn't release a video rendering of their lidar data in a day next time, cause you're dead wrong

Xae posted:

It is always multiple days to get things ready. And I already explained why to you.

I did E-Discovery work for a couple of years. So I'm pretty informed about how long things take when you're talking about prepping data for potential legal proceedings.

You don't know what you're talking about and you're wrong. Go away.

that wasn't what was being discussed though xae. sorry, but try to not wander into a conversation if you can't keep up

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Xae posted:

You're try to say the discussion about why things take time isn't relevant to why things take time?

:jerkbag:

You got caught running your mouth off about poo poo you don't understand. Go away and grow up a bit.

xae, we were discussing technical poo poo. no-one was talking about courtrooms or discovery or anything until you decided to interject. and quite frankly, i don't care about any of that

if you wanna argue with someone about discovery or legal proceedings, do it with someone else. ok?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Xae posted:

You think Uber's lawyers aren't heavily involved in this and aren't running the show?

You think that the footage and data won't be part of the inevitable lawsuit?

i already said i don't care about any of that. oocc made a claim it wasn't technically feasible, i argued otherwise. go argue with someone else about what uber's lawyers are doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, they released the video first because it's a human readable format. It's a lot easier to tweet out a video than like, an array of hundreds of thousands of [x,y,z] points. They might release a rendering from the lidar data later, but it's more steps to make that than just release a video that is viewable as is.

(even the direct video has people complaining that it looks like raw video off a camera instead of an iphone video where the phone heavily processes the data to make it more viewable)

hth. i hope the rest of the argument doesn't need to be traced out again for you

• Locked thread