Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It probably is going to end up that way, if economies of scale keep working like that. It wasn't too far back that people were saying "why would you put a microcontroller in a washing machine when a handful of 74 series logic can do the same thing?" or mechanical switches, or a big rotary dial with the right PCB traces behind it. There's a certain level, maybe not for lightbulbs, but a level where a lot of things are going to be SoC devices capable of running arbitrary code because they're useful enough elsewhere.

What that means for IoT security measures with that many levels of abstraction I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Has this been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY7i7kj2jO4

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Feudalism is when they own the people as well as the land and the property. When they only own the latter two it's rentier capitalism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

StabbinHobo posted:

like it seems to me that long before you get a chef working you can have sold a million dishwasher units that only need to be a tenth as adept.
They'll never automate washing dishes. :colbert:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Half-wit posted:

Please...only the poors will have to take the cattle air-cars. The rich will be able to pay people to fly places for them.
I was going to make some joke about how you could easily disrupt that industry by having an app that matches light aircraft pilots with spare seats to people who want to go where the pilot just happens to be going anyway technically that wouldn't be commercial aviation because they're not employees and the app pays them for some tangentially connected activity so actually no dadFAA, it's really not commercial aviation.

Then I found out that already exists.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It will be a brave new world of retail empires and the drone pirates that live from plundering them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Something like that, but with more remote controls. Or skeet shotguns, depending on how high the delivery drones fly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

and it listed yeast as a monster.

Yeast are cool in all the things that they can produce. Not only beer and bread, the staples of civilization, but also most of our sudafed now, and modified yeast will produce far more pharmaceuticals.

But we've seen what fungi can do to insects and fish. What if they only gave us bread and beer because it makes us slavishly breed more yeast? Come to the city nomad. Come to the city and reproduce. :spooky:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

And even the color choices don't seem right, like the undue weight on teaching cyan as a color.
Cyan should be taught more. Like when kids are taught the seven classical colors of the visible spectrum, red orange yellow green blue indigo violet, there's confusion because we often think of unqualified 'blue' as something like X11 blue, rather than the sky blue/cyan area that Newton was thinking of. Which leads to confusion like 'do we really need blue, indigo, and violet? I don't see a color between the blue bit and the purple bit.' Which is because the blue bit is what Newton called indigo and the cyan bit they completely ignored was called blue.

So the classical colors as taught today should be 'red orange yellow green cyan blue violet'. Richard Of York Gave Cattle Bin Vain.

No idea why the algorithms are so hung up on cyan though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The rainbow has 7 colors to praise god, it's the same reason we have seven seas and seven continents and seven notes and like basically anything that is an infinite spectrum we decided there is "seven" of them.
The rainbow has 7 colors because Newton had an occultist streak and thought it would be neat to match them up with the 7 musical notes and the 7 classical planets. What he was calling blue was qualitatively different to what most people think of blue now though, so it makes more sense to call it cyan instead of telling kids that blue means cyan and indigo means blue, but only for rainbows.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Paradoxish posted:

I’m not going to say this is bad and terrible and the modern world is hosed, but it is... weird. The anecdote further down about the kid that will watch endless unboxing videos of toys while having no interest in the toys themselves or the shows the characters are from is weird too. This stuff all fits into a kind of uncanny valley of disturbing where it just seems wrong and exploitative without there being anything about it that’s obviously harmful.
People have been making "they're more interested in the box than the toy" comments since toys have come in boxes and been given to children like that.

And it's true, kids love opening boxes to see what's inside. Adults still feel some of that joy. Unboxing a new thing is fun. And it can't be Christmas everyday, so you can vicariously live out unboxing a new thing via the internet instead.

Unboxings seem fairly harmless, like kids watching an 8mm or VHS of a family Christmas and getting excited when the presents are opened.

The uncanny valley CGI things are a bit more concerning, because they're off enough that kids might emulating them (less concerning, 70s/80's animation had some garbage churned out as fast as possible that didn't seem to bear any connection to normal human interaction), and Youtube's algorithms are not great at separating it from Weird Youtube for adults (more concerning).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

My advice for kids would be to just take up heroin.
With advances in GM yeast biosynthesis, mini and microscale flow chemistry, and information economies, I bet we could automate that too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Anarchy, or rather anarchism, is an interesting framework to look through for potential solutions. Kropotkin (for it was he :anarchists:) was pro-technology overall, believing that it would relieve our burdens and enable effective communes at a time when people were smashing weaving frames for stealing jobs.

His problem was with who owned the technology (largely steam engines and railroads in his studies).

Bread, The Conquest of posted:

Every machine has had the same history — a long record of sleepless nights and of poverty, of disillusions and of joys, of partial improvements discovered by several generations of nameless workers, who have added to the original invention these little nothings, without which the most fertile idea would remain fruitless. More than that: every new invention is a synthesis, the resultant of innumerable inventions which have preceded it in the vast field of mechanics and industry.

Science and industry, knowledge and application, discovery and practical realization leading to new discoveries, cunning of brain and of hand, toil of mind and muscle — all work together. Each discovery, each advance, each increase in the sum of human riches, owes its being to the physical and mental travail of the past and the present.

By what right then can any one whatever appropriate the least morsel of this immense whole and say — This is mine, not yours?
So 'Intellectual Property is Theft' is a possible solution I guess, and one that China and India seem enthusiastic about.

Have his views gotten closer to or further away from reality after the information revolution? On one hand the open source movement and the open internet have democratized information to a degree that could never before exist. If I want to 'steal' someone's patent or use an academic document to further my own development of something for the local community, there's little that can stop me.

On the other, the rentier classes, the Dukes and Bishops of his works, seem ever more remote, and their means of profit and control ever more subtle.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I got what you mean, it just threw me on an interesting tangent. There's the whole "destroy the devil technology" thing to the anarchist stereotype, which does exist on the fringes, but a big part of Kropotkin's schtick was "guys imagine how cool it will be when every commune has a steam engine and the steam engine belongs to the commune and not the local Bishop-Prince and everyone gives away their patents as a gift to the world and there's progress by all for all." Technology as the breaker of hierarchy rather than the new improved whip 2.0.

Some of what he wrote about definitely did come true, open source software that anyone can use and fork and improve is textbook anarchist industrial activity, and the communities around them tested and in some cases broke his theories of mutual aid, wikis demonstrated the utility of all information available to all people, but showed the pitfalls too, and the necessity of some kind of soft hierarchy, there's open source process automation platforms that work as long as the community has members, rather than as long as the manufacturer wants to keep updating it, etc.

But other parts went in completely the opposite direction to anything he predicted or desired, the creation of the worldwide mega rich in ways impossible before mass communications, consumerism arising as the response to overproduction, and more recently the creation of information hierarchies that enable the already powerful to sculpt and mold the information environment around people in an automated manner in possibly worrying ways. The people who push against that aren't going to be excommunicated like the literate peasant, there's no need anymore, but they might not even realize that they're in a filter bubble.

I don't know if that's why we seem to be entering into a period of hyperpolarization (not unique to the present, or doomed to get worse, they come and go) and what technological and social solutions there are to that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

"If I put a marked law enforcement vehicle in front of your home or your office, criminal behavior changes," Li told Business Insider earlier this year.
Yeah, I'd close the shutters first.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like a good idea in winter, just give all the homeless some fireproof blankets stuffed with rockwool to stop it getting too toasty.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We could use technology to make them not homeless. House building technology.

That sounds like a far better, and in the long run cheaper even, technological solution than building robotic buttplugs to harass them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's just trading, it's only Capitalism if you can extract wealth from capital, as well as through labor and barter.

You might have two stone age tribes selling ruined skyscraper futures, or offering joint-stock purchase offers on an expedition to visit a distant ruined skyscraper, but you normally need a more developed society for that. Maybe a future where the skyscrapers are ruined but all the Teletype Model 28s survived, which isn't implausible, and where the stone age tribes didn't immediately try using them as siege rams, which is less likely.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Middle class white people only - Positive Conservative Vision.

The guy at the bottom is straight out of PPE in PPE.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

That's kind of depressing, really. I know a fair amount of people who used their creativity to lever themselves to a better life, usually through writing or art. Some of them just make a few hundred dollars a month, but if you're grinding along in this economy, a few hundred bucks a month can make a real difference.
There were people saying the same thing when the first decent color cameras came out. What's the point of being an excellent landscape artist when anyone with a basic knowledge of optics and chemistry can make the most realistic landscapes ever in a few hours?

And it's true, the call for certain types of artists dried up, you don't see portrait booths at high end markets any more, but there was an explosion of new types of art, and like the post above said, knowing how to compose a piece is more important than the exact tools.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Art villages in China can churn out real brushwork at a rate that no local artist could match. People buy from local artists because they want local art and to support them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Teal posted:

Firstly, there's some basic aesthetics that vast majority of people can agree on; it's not like you have to appeal to Vogue to point out someone's shirt is inside out.
But like all purely aesthetic choices, what if wearing your shirt inside out becomes the new coolness?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Brb going to take a ton of photos of people dressed well on a clear day and dressed like poo poo on a cloudy one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It seems a bit like the 'ironing machines' that were sold in various forms by mail order catalogs and industrial supply places in the 80s and 90s. The home ones were a joke and more hassle than ironing, but the commercial ones were a massive help for large scale laundries and clothes factories.

Everyone remembers the home ones and rolls their eyes when you talk about them, but the concepts developed were useful.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ardennes posted:

an ID checker for alcohol
Legislation aside, this sounds like it should be one of the easiest steps to automate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It wouldn't surprise me if that was something where the solution comes from both ends. IDs are implementing more biometric and computer readable features every iteration, and computer vision and OCR is getting better and better, so it could employ a whole array of verification techniques rather than just checking the photo against the person.

And if it's not sure that it's valid within a given probability then it can just flash the light for human assistance, but it only has to be slightly better at verifying an ID than a human to do away with that step.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm imagining it a bit like the self service/cashier service split in most stores at present. If I want to pay by credit card or smartphone or whatever, it's quicker to go self service, if I wanted to pay by check or crumpled cash or anything unusual then a normal checkout might be faster. Same could apply for alcohol and whatever, if I've got a biometric RFID passport that's good enough for border control, it should be good enough for buying a beer just by waving it at the machine, no need to send a person over, if I've just got a non-smart driver's license or am relying on them to judge me old enough, a normal checkout might be better until incremental improvements are made.

Like you say though, in edge cases it could be as simple as sending an image of the ID and a webcam snapshot to a remote kiosk.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why not replace the whole wheelchair bit with one of those? The platform seems good at remaining level and you could be like a centaur going around a few feet higher than in the chair and reach the handle comfortably by hand. Or robot claw if you have grip problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Who's providing medical care in your robot car, oocc
Use it as a mobile platform for robot doctors.

• Locked thread