Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Freakazoid_ posted:

The ideal solution is to support free college education and a guaranteed minimum income. Automation can be allowed to happen if we focus the workforce into jobs that are much less likely to be automated. Many of these non-vulnerable jobs won't be automated for at least 20 years. If for some reason someone still can't find a job, it is necessary for a person to participate in the economy in order for automated companies to still be able to sell product. A basic income or guaranteed minimum income would provide enough to live on at the very least.

Less ideal would be to prevent automation from happening. There is no realistic neo-luddite movement to speak of, for now. However, CEOs and billionaires have been threatening minimum wage workers with automated replacements, particularly fast food workers, in an effort to stymie minimum wage growth.

I don't believe in re-schooling at all. The same solution was given to the unemployment caused by globalisation leading to the moving of certain sectors to low-wage countries en masse. It sounds nice in a political debate, but in practice the burden falls on the soon-to-be-unemployed workers both financially and intellectually while having to deal with all the poo poo that comes from either still working in a sector under heavy pressure but still barely hanging on or becoming unemployed. Even if government were to provide generous means of re-schooling, I'm working in logistics right now and I see a lot of colleagues I just don't see becoming software engineers or whatever no matter what. They're great people and exactly the ones at high risk of their jobs being automated but with the best intentions I just don't see what great new jobs are going to be right for these people in 20 or 30 years.

Further there's the market to consider. For the limited number of non-automated jobs that will exist, why would I hire a 40+ year old who went through a re-schooling programme and thus has little if any relevant experience in the field when I could also hire a 20 year old straight out of college? Guarantee you the latter is going to be cheaper and with less risk of complications like long-term illness or suddenly having to take care of children etc. This is also exactly what's been happening over the last 30 years. Seriously, how many ex-coal miners or whatever are working solid middle class jobs right now?

Re-schooling is an intellectual fig leaf used to wave away the actual underlying issue. It's why at the same time as unemployment is up, and productivity is up, the average workweek is somehow increasing and pension ages are rising. If re-schooling was effective that simply would not happen.

The biggest question in economics of the next decades is going to be "why must everyone work?". And the answer is, except for outdated morality bullshit, we really, really don't need everyone to work.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

Chances are decent if you live in a progressive European country.

And are white. No way current European political sentiment is going to be ok with providing anything as radical as a mincome to non-whites.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

How's race involved with this? Do you for some reason mean 'refugees' when you say 'non-white'? I find it hard to believe that the 250 residents of Utrecht will be discriminated based on race. If anything, I'd expect that there will be more minorities among them than in the national average.

I mean that far right wing parties are on the rise across Europe and they're going to kill the poo poo out of initiatives like this as soon as they help anyone in whichever group they've defined as the Other. So in the Netherlands, if it turns out someone with a Moroccan background is getting free money, the PVV is going to paint the whole scheme as a left wing hobby of the out of touch liberal elite who like to coddle and drink tea with terrorists while giving them your hard earned tax money to be lazy and/or do bad things to our daughters.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Dead Reckoning posted:

Now, you could try to revive the murdered corpse of the international labor movement, except 1) that would require accepting the same standard of living for you and yours as people in third world FTZs, you will lose while they gain, 2) the owner class now also owns all the platforms and means of communication that you could realistically use to organize such a thing, and 3) it still doesn't address the long term problem of surplus labor force.

Ah yes, remember that time back in the 1800s, when workers could more easily and more freely communicate with their international class comrades. You know, back when the owners didn't own the platforms and means of communication?

• Locked thread