Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Grammar-Bolshevik posted:

Yeah it sucks, you can replace 'retard' with whatever word you want an it will go through the evolutionary cycle of people using it as a pejorative; people need to punch down because they are insecure.

Just be patient an in 50 years we can crisper dna enough so that the only disability left will be enjoying anime.

I dunno. How would you describe the President of the United States if you were no longer allowed to use the word retard? It would be a great loss for the English language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

My impression is that Amazon isn't really interested in entering the retail business. Instead they want to sell the hardware and service contracts to established retailers like Costco. Costco already requires a membership, tracks your purchases and uses CCTV cameras inside the shop, so there can be no serious privacy concerns from costumers. The system can be installed in virtually any of their buildings over night, with no expensive machines or serious construction necessary. It can be run as a parallel/backup system together with traditional systems until it works reliable enough to switch over to it and costumers wouldn't be affected by it in any way until the switch. Also, the whole system is probably heavily cloud reliant with all the interesting stuff happening with proprietary ML Amazon technology. Amazon could sell subscriptions and constantly push upgrades to the system as they get more experience and better algorithms. The hardware itself is basically just a bunch of cameras that will never need any upgrades. I think if Amazon can make it work, there could be a huge market for it.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Surprise Giraffe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY4PKBqp9ZM

Seems relevant. Skip to the end for the main event. If that's really what it says it is, and given Boston Dynamics latest vids, the building blocks of smarter-than-people AI are already there, right?

I don't think so. Symbolic action planning is a very old concept in CS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STRIPS

and it's a very, very simplistic form of AI.

But this is still interesting for research into creating fully autonomous drones or something. Like, when your door opening drone is trying to create a plan to murder you, it can't rely on outside help to give it a list of all possible actions. It has to figure those out by itself in a totally novel environment. For example, can I perform stabbing motions with my claws or even hold a kitchen knife? What happens when I stab a human in the leg? Does swinging a pan create enough force to crack a human skull?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ElCondemn posted:

I’m still holding out for the space colony-floating chair-feed tube utopia we saw in Wall-E.

Just watch My 600 lb Life on TLC. Your Utopia is already reality in modern day Kentucky.

(I mean, technically, Kentucky is traveling through space around the sun)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Word on the street is that the car didn't initiate braking at all. That sounds like a malfunction. The software only needs milliseconds to react, so, no matter how she got in front of the car, there should have been more than enough time to at least initiate braking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

So this was just a bad driver mowing down a homeless woman? Sounds like something an automated car could have prevented.

• Locked thread