Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I frankly don't want to work. I don't want to get up early. I don't want to have to be somewhere every day. I don't want to leave my house if I don't want to. I don't want to dread the next day because I know I have to get up early and go to work. I don't want to deal with customers. I don't want to wear a uniform. Automation sounds loving sweet. I hope it happens really fast and I have an excuse to be unemployed. I like having lots and lots of free time. I just want to spend all of my time doing whatever I want. Enjoy every evening without worrying about having to get my rear end up the next morning. Just go wherever I want, whenever I want. Just blow an entire afternoon doing nothing, but that's okay because there's always tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that...

Hurry the gently caress up, technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Must be nice to have rich parents.

Nah I work food service. Minimum wage, part time. I cant wait for a robot to do this poo poo so I don't have to. It's going to be so awesome when people are like "Get a job you lazy bum", and i'm like "LOL I can't because the robots". I am aware that when automation takes over and millions of people are unemployed and unemployable, that we'll just end up as Soylent Green or someshit. "Good", I say. At least then I wont have to have a dumb job. :colbert:

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The ideal solution is probably socializing the means of production, not just giving everyone a paycheck. But that's never going to happen and neither will UBI.

Having said that, i'm skeptical that automation is really happening. Technology is moving more slowly these days. Things aren't rapidly advancing. AI is still a buzzword that doesn't mean anything. Selfdriving cars, for example, are pure hype. We're still decades and decades away from having the necessary technology. Robots are still dumb and slow. There are jobs that are threatened by automation but it's mostly stuff that can already be done over the internet. For things that require face-to-face communication, skilled labor, the trades, food service, etc., humans will still be doing those jobs. Maybe bank tellers are going the way of the dodo, but if you're a mechanic, electrician, plumber, teacher, doctor, nurse, caretaker, salesman, or work in food service at any level, you're safe. Delivery drivers and truck drivers are probably safe, too.

The problem is that many of us are going to be wage slaves for the rest of our lives.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Im still not convinced that automation is actually happening. Go into any store like Wal-Mart, Target, or into any food place like McDonalds, it's still the same. There may be self-serve kiosks but the technology is still very primitive. Artifical intelligence doesnt exist. Robots are still dumb and clumsy. People are still going to be driving trucks and taxis, making and serving food, selling stuff to other humans, etc for a long time to come. I go on the internet and its OMG automation, but when i go outside into the real world, it's the same as its always been. So it seems like this histeria over automation and robots and ai is just bunk.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SaTaMaS posted:

It is overblown at the moment, but it will become a problem if Trump raises tariffs and accelerates the shift to automation.

Trump has nothing to do with this, its simple technology: we're not there yet. Even if he raises tariffs, it wont lead to better ai, robots, automated systems, whatever you wanna call them. You cant rush this stuff.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rastor posted:

Im still not convinced that the horseless carriage is actually happening. Go into any city street or out to any farm, it's still the same. There may be a few horseless carriages but the technology is still very primitive. A self starter doesnt exist. They are still loud and unreliable. People are still going to be drawing trucks and taxis, plowing fields to grow food, racing, etc with horses for a long time to come. I go into the tavern and its OMG automobiles, but when i go outside into the real world, it's the same as its always been. So it seems like this histeria over machines putting horses out of work is just bunk.

It still took decades and decades when cars were invented before they became common enough to make a difference for most people. And right now, the technologies havent even been invented yet. We're not even in the 1880s yet, to go with your metaphor.

SaTaMaS posted:

You're talking about low-level service jobs when the threat is to manufacturing, and we are absolutely there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_lfxPI5ObM

edit:Also, have you seen all the big box stores closing due to Amazon? Kmart, Macys, Sears, Sports Authority

Most people work service jobs, not manufacturing. Most people are going to be working retail, food service, delivery, sales, etc. for the rest of their lives. And Kmart,Sears closing has nothing to do with automation. Amazon is just another company that employs humans, though fewer of them because they dont have physical stores. But that isnt applicable to most businesses where you need humans to do stuff.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cicero posted:

Technology has a habit of not being there for a long time until it suddenly is; it's slow for a long time, then suddenly fast. For a long time attempts at good natural language processing or image interpretation were terrible and useless...until suddenly they were useful.

That's because every time machine intelligence starts to do something we reclassify AI as "not that". For example, being able to recognize different objects in a photo was AI until computers got reasonably good at it, now it doesn't count anymore.

In practice, technological changes are often slow enough to where the large changes are only obvious in retrospect. E.g., when's the last time you carried around and looked at an actual paper map to navigate?

Climate change and resource depletion are going to put the kabosh on all of that. We dont have to worry about automation because by the time the technology actually gets good enough, we'll be too hosed anyway. I honestly dont expect industrialized civilization to last through the century. If the human race survives, there'll be plenty of jobs available to people: farmers, blacksmiths, hunters, etc.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
As i've said before I'm highly skeptical of automation because technology is still not good enough to replace humans at most tasks. Robots cant even fold a towel or make a bed. But even if we're not talking about literal robots, software and "AI" also isnt good enough to do what most people do. Humans are pretty flexible and smart and versatile. We can think on our feet and make splitsecond decisions. We can improvise. We can learn to do many different things.

Having said all of that, if automation isnt pure hype and is actually something we need to worry about, the best solution is to give workers the means of production. Universal basic income may work or it may not. But i'd feel better if we didnt have to rely on the 1% to give paychecks to everybody so we can buy Ramen noodles.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Thats neato but I dont see why thats so revolutionary. All it does is flip the patties. It cant even apply toppings. Yeah i know this is just an early version of a robot but it will have to do a lot more to replace humans or even to augment them significantly.

Like, i'm imagingin all the steps that go into making a fast food burger or sandwich: getting stuff out of the freezer or cooler, taking things out of boxes, tempering meat and bread, preparing ingredients for the day, and more. This robot only does one step.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dont believe the robot hype. Artificial intelligence hasnt advanced since the 1980s. The problem isnt automation, its total ecological collapse and resource loss. Our technological society isnt sustainable and technological progress is slowing down. Whats going to happen is a terrible series of wars and genocides and a huge stagnation in technology, science, and economic growth that lasts for decades. Thats assuming we dont all die anyway before 2100.

Seriously y'all sound like Ray Kurzweil. LOL the robots aren't coming, guys. We're not going to get a shiny awesome future or even a cyberpunk dystopian one. Its going to look a lot closer to the first Mad Max movie crossed with Children of Men.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Taffer posted:

Yes, it has, extremely far. We have cars that drive themselves now, we have robots that learn how to perform complex tasks just by watching people. A lot of shifting of goalposts has happened around AI, where several decades ago it was "when they can beat a master at chess, it's true AI", then when that happened the reaction was "well it's just a program". Then it happened again with a variety of increasingly complex tasks, culminating right now with something as complex as a machine that drives a car, and already does it better than most humans. Just because we don't have androids that are behaviorally indistinguishable from humans does not mean that we haven't made progress.

I dont think so. Cars still cant drive themselves and robots still fall over all the time. In order to automate jobs, we need to create robots that can be as flexible as humans and thats at least 50 years away, probably a lot longer. Maybe in 30 years we'll have cars that can drive in the rain but thats it. In the meantime, climate is getting worse and we're running out of valuable resources. Technology cant save us. We're going to take a huge step back this century, best case scenario.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

He didn't say "equal to humans", he said "as flexible as humans".

Yeah, i'm not talking about robots that are as smart as humans. I'm talking about robots that can do most of the same work that humans can do. That requires dexterity and the ability to adapt quickly and improvize on the spot. Not "strong artificial intelligence" but just a robot that can, say, unload a truck and carry stuff to the proper place, make a sandwhich, fold clothes, move and rearrange furniture, all that stuff. Stuff that is very easy for humans (sight, navigating through a 3D environment, etc) that is still really hard for computers and robots. In 50 years, maybe we can have robots that can do some chores around the house, MAYBE. But actually being as smart as humans is centuries away, imo.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

That doesnt really mean anything, though. How many people are employed as umpires? Is that technology applicable to other jobs and careers?

I still think its going to be a very long time before a significant amount of jobs are threatened. We can make programs and robots that can do very narrow things but they cant handle unpredictable stuff. And lots of jobs have unpredictable aspects. Even a fast food job has unpredictability.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Internet of Things is a dumb idea. I get the basic idea behind it but it just seems like a bad idea. Yeah you can preheat your oven on your way home, but is that necessarry? Also people can hack your lights, fridge, oven, stove, etc. Its just too many points of failure.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Roomba wants to sell maps of your house. From the inside.

http://gizmodo.com/roombas-next-big-step-is-selling-maps-of-your-home-to-t-1797187829

It's your house. You don't get paid.
Down with this sort of thing.

roflmao gently caress THIS poo poo

Its so hilariously and brazenly evil and intrusive, there is no good reason for this to exist. People get absolutely nothing out of this. Its ridiculous.

It still gonna happen tho, aint it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Cant wait to be constantly misgendered by software as it scans my big ugly mannish trans woman face. Gonna be rad. :)

• Locked thread