Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A baby ate my dingo
May 12, 2001

Blue Star posted:

I dont think so. Cars still cant drive themselves and robots still fall over all the time. In order to automate jobs, we need to create robots that can be as flexible as humans and thats at least 50 years away, probably a lot longer. Maybe in 30 years we'll have cars that can drive in the rain but thats it. In the meantime, climate is getting worse and we're running out of valuable resources. Technology cant save us. We're going to take a huge step back this century, best case scenario.
Wow you're wrong about automation. We don't need to create robots as flexible as humans if we can create 3 dedicated robots that do the same work as a human, but twice as fast.

There's a lot of behind the scenes automation improvements that people don't seem to see or think about, its not just "robots are going to make sandwiches" or "cars will drive themselves". I've been part of projects to build automated warehouses that need maybe 5 guys running them instead of 30, AGV's are starting to be being used in hospitals and factories where you used to have teams of people ferrying around pallets, laundry bins and food trays. This stuff is popping up everywhere, it might not eliminate the need for people entirely, but the effect is a reduction in the number of people required to operate a facility. This is only physical automation too, automating software and informational services is even easier and will cut into professional middle-class jobs.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxPTMIyFKa8
A warehouse like this one used to have lots of people running around with pallet trucks and forklifts, record keepers, supervisors, etc.

AGV's used in Royal Adelaide Hospital.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGEWWX50CFg

A baby ate my dingo fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A baby ate my dingo
May 12, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

He didn't say "equal to humans", he said "as flexible as humans".

Blue Star posted:

Yeah, i'm not talking about robots that are as smart as humans. I'm talking about robots that can do most of the same work that humans can do. That requires dexterity and the ability to adapt quickly and improvize on the spot. Not "strong artificial intelligence" but just a robot that can, say, unload a truck and carry stuff to the proper place, make a sandwhich, fold clothes, move and rearrange furniture, all that stuff. Stuff that is very easy for humans (sight, navigating through a 3D environment, etc) that is still really hard for computers and robots. In 50 years, maybe we can have robots that can do some chores around the house, MAYBE. But actually being as smart as humans is centuries away, imo.

That's the thing though, we don't need robots to be as flexible as humans, or even be able to do the same thing as humans. You're really misunderstanding how physical automation is implemented in an industrial setting, it's not about replicating the process that a human carries out, it's about achieving the same end result.

• Locked thread