Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
One thing that a lot of people get backwards is thinking of automation as 'We bought this robot. You're fired'. That's not really how it shows up. The effects of automation take years to decades to show up and are seen in the soul crushing experience of 'I've sent out a hundred and ten applications this week and had seventeen Skype interviews and I'm still unemployed because everyone wants 4-6 years of experience in this precise job for an entry level position'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Doctor Malaver posted:

I work as a project manager and I can't even begin to imagine how my job could be automated. I have to be a psychologist and a product designer and make decisions from marketing to technology. Either I'm deluding myself or the companies that I've been working for are too small and chaotic for that kind of automation.

Don't look at things from the artificial intelligence/technological singularity point of view necessary for asking, "How can they replace my job with a robot? It's just not possible!" That's not where the effects of automation show up. Nobody is going to come into work one day and see a human shaped artificial robot sitting in their chair and get their termination letter because, again, that's not how the effects of automation show up.

You see and feel the effects of automation when you're applying for the 20th job and going to the sixth interview that week and all you get are job offers for an entry-level (and entry-pay) position that requires minimum six years experience in absolutely, precisely "Widget Version 17.3 Twisting and Modeling , no other versions accepted". That is how automation effects labor, with the gradual creeping process of little pieces here and there being automated and then welp no reason hiring anybody this quarter, productivity is up!

The result of automation that people are going to feel is that hopeless situation resulting from weeks of not having a job, watching your savings evaporate and devoting every waking hour to trying for a job or stressing about trying for jobs, doing everything you can sun up to sun down trying to get one and having nothing but a constant parade of doors slammed in your face. THAT is how you feel the effects of automation under a hyper capitalist society.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

So all we need to do is advance AI to the level it can make conversation to the point it obsoletes all call center functions then we will have reduced a job that less than 1% of americans do? Sounds simple! AI that can converse like a human will happen any second now I'm sure and have no effects other than this. I can run it on a laptop now!

You're loving dumb and/or disingenuous and should stop posting out your rear end in a top hat. There's plenty of poo poo on here already.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A huge amount of congestion is based on the suboptimal way humans accelerate. If you stop people at a light you see the "first guy starts then second guy starts then third guy starts" instead of "everyone start rolling at once and match the speed of the guy ahead of you" and the same applies to things like people slowing down on the highway before speeding up again.

It's a totally random quirk of human psychology but it causes a huge amount of traffic problems and will never change as long as humans are driving. Like you don't even have to get some idealized world where everyone at a stoplight perfectly times flooring it to sixty at the exact same moment to get huge improvement. That quirk of how people's brains work is one of the biggest contributing factors to traffic and there is no way to fix it because people basically refuse to do it the "right" way where the back of the line accelerates the same as the front of the line even if you give people enough space it's not unsafe.

OK but out here in the real world with real people doing real people things safety is a lot more important than it appears you seem to think it is. People don't accelerate in your "suboptimal way" because of a "quirk of human psychology", they do it because humans can only react so fast and at 60 miles per hour you need X amount of length between you and the guy in front of you to not end up dead. That's physics.

When everyone is stopped at a red light that distance gets really short, and as speed increases that distances has to come from somewhere. Accelerating the "right" way as you proposed would have the guy at the back of the line doing 60 miles per hour with the same clearance he had while sitting at a stop light. Assholes and dead people do this right now and it is in fact very frequently illegal because of the damage it causes.

If you instead meant to say people are limited by our biology and that this could be a case for automated driving there's a discussion to be had there, especially in a thread about automation. Saying it's a quirk of psychology and people just don't understand the most optimal way as plotted out on this graph is ignoring reality.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

People just aren't perfect at driving. Particularly in stuff like congested traffic human minds just don't have good heuristics for what would be the best course of action. People have bad psychology heuristics for what they should do to most benefit a flow of cars. Not even some thing where all the cars communicate and an automatic car could definitively take the best course, humans just always take bad courses because it's just not a thing humans can predict correctly.

You have a point that can be put forward for debate, you need to refine your choice of phrasing. That delay in starting after a red light and all the extra space on a road isn't because people are psychologically incapable of understanding the most optimal method of driving. It's because of physics and biology. The physics of stopping a ton-ish box on wheels at speed and the time it takes for human reaction. These things could most certainly be addressed in the automation thread. It's just not a psychology issue like you keep trying to cast it as.

• Locked thread