Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

INH5 posted:

there are way too many historical counterexamples for me to take that kind of talk seriously.

I'd like a historical example of a time when something caused mass job loss across multiple industries in the same decade please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Blue Star posted:

Having said that, i'm skeptical that automation is really happening. Technology is moving more slowly these days. Things aren't rapidly advancing.

Do yourself a favor and get an annual subscription to New Scientist. It's weekly, and will assuage any concerns that technology isn't moving at breakneck speeds.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Doctor Malaver posted:

These preferences are interesting. For me personally, communication with a person is a positive.

I think this is a flip flop of cultural preferences that wax and wane with decades of inaccessibility to things. Like the resurgence of vinyl records, or subscription-based information reporting.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

Looks like automation will soon reduce the amount of nurse jobs by automating this bit, it frees up nurses todo other things, which means less nurses wll be needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a7mgmbhcJQ

This is really cool, but phlebotomists took this responsibility largely off the nurses' shoulders. I think the best hope we can have is that Watson replaces the need for doctors (because it can make better diagnosis and create better care plans), which frees up nurses from the bullshit of dealing with doctors, and allows them to provide more palliative care..

Freakazoid_ posted:

These are one of the few methods of automation that actually scare me. I'm cool with putting my life in the hands of an automated vehicle, but once needles are involved I get the heebie-jeebies.

Dude, this thing is using ultrasound! I don't foresee it putting a needle into an arm, missing a vein, then wiggling the needle around inside the arm trying to find it, and that happens daily under human direction.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 18, 2017

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

quote:

The K9 robot circling the SF SPCA has drawn mixed responses. Within the first week of the robot's deployment, some people who were setting up a homeless encampment nearby allegedly "put a tarp over it, knocked it over, and put barbecue sauce on all the sensors," according to Jennifer Scarlett, president of the SF SPCA. A Twitter user reported seeing feces smeared on the robot.
God bless the homeless.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Rastor posted:

Sorry for self-driving car related chat but FYI Anheuser-Busch announced they had placed an order for 40 of these, and PepsiCo announced they had ordered 100, and then today UPS topped that again with an order of 125 Tesla Semi trucks.

Reminder that AnheuserBusch has alrrady successfully delivered beer with an autonomous truck. One of the big waves of unemployment is about to get cracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Nevvy Z posted:

Decisions like "how big this pond should be" and "where this tree should be" are important artistic decisions. The AI just handles the tedious brushwork.

Disagree. Those decisions are not important; compositionally, the placement of subject matter in a visual piece of art is not a golden secret, interpreted and willed by the human mind. The human mind has a compositional aesthetic; tree looks better slightly offcenter, pond looks better in 1/3 of the image than half, etc.
The lessons a trained artist learns about composition take less than a day to teach. The artistry is in the brushwork.

Was in the brushwork.

• Locked thread