Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The ultrarich care more about short term money, wealth they could never really meaningfully spend in a human lifetime, than they care about the planet. It's time to sue them as a collective, or failing that a good old peasants revolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I chuckle every time I see the words "reduce prices" in this thread, as though companies aren't gonna just pocket more profit and bonuses.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cicero posted:

(my sister has identical twin boys, and it could tell them apart even in baby pictures, when even she struggled).

Was info about this published anywhere becuase that is super interesting

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Machines, that can talk like a person?! I'll believe it when I see it...

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

throw to first drat IT posted:

So, public transportation?

That's where this is moving I'm sure. Which is gonna be real nice when we can start getting rid of these massive parking lots everywhere. Columbus has a car share service I already like and when those vehicles are automated you are gonna be able to service the same number/area of people with fewer vehicles overall, looser range restrictions, and the ability to send them away park themselves . If they were in other nearby cities I probably wouldn't have bought a car at all.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jesus Horse posted:

Like some kind of Public house?

Public house seems like a long and unwieldy phrase.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They'll care when it gets shut down because no one in power feels the need to even pretend to care anymore.

Yeah... that'll show em...

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Dead Reckoning posted:

Nah, us class traitors who have proven our loyalty in exchange for continuing access to food and medicine will be machinegunning/flamethrowering the rest. Eventually one of the egg-heads will invent a machine that kills us while still keeping them safe, but our goal is to ensure our progeny's place in the surviving strata through marriage, education, or wealth accumulation before then.

Elysium was real. They are gonna have robot guards and doctors on their moon base while the rest of us madmax it down here.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kekekela posted:

This thread attracts people that think automation for any task can only take the form of androids with human levels of intelligence and dexterity.

Up to and including defense against the guillotine building hordes. On their moon base, where they legally rule as the investors who make breathing possible.

We've already got a laser that can target female mosquitoes based on the frequency of their wingbeat to kill them.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Tei posted:

The new era of automatization destroy more jobs that it create. And the new jobs created required high specialization.

We didn't run out of jobs a hundred years ago how could we run out now! : woot:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

Come on man, elevators and trains move in one dimension along a rail, cars move in two and aircraft moves in three. The former are going to be much, much easier to automate than the latter.

Someone already did an effort post explaining why this is a bad analogy, but in short airplanes have a much larger margin of error to work with so some aspects are going to be easier.

It's almost like they are different modes of transit with different issues affecting the automation.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Oh poo poo guys if the power goes out the plane will stop flapping it's wings and we're hosed!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Slavvy posted:

It's bad when the forklift operators can't get a job anymore

Why is it bad?

Because they need to have a job.

But why do they need to have a job?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

We all go along with it. It's an absurd premise, but here we are. A trust fund kid who hasn't worked a single day in his life and contributes nothing to society gets to decide things. We all go along with it. If that trust fund kid is the owner of a fully automated factory, we all go along with it. The alternative would be fighting the automated police, army and mercenaries. Also, probably lots of minefields. And we don't even have tanks, MAPADS or demining equipment.

Full Communism Before the Rich Develop Robot Guards!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

automation is a normal part of all human development and there has been dozens of times that dominant jobs became obsolete and instead of being replaced in some direct 1:1 way they simply opened society up to work on newer bigger and more abstract concerns.

Unless those new and abstract concerns start shifting radically none of this matters for 95%+ of the people of the world because it's gonna be a ruinous wasteland.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Ted Chiang has an article that is kind of relevant here.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tedchiang/the-real-danger-to-civilization-isnt-ai-its-runaway?utm_term=.gfG9z2L4x#.ng9bo8mz4

The problem is the #1 rule of corporatism is increasing shareholder value, and the pool of who can afford to be a shareholder is so limited and selfselecting. It's a really common mixup for humans, we take the means by which we measure and make it the only goal. The teaching for the test problem.

I know this is very fuzzy.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
When Asimov thought up robots the first rule he gave them was "don't hurt people."

When we began establishing automated processes the first rule we gave them was "make us as much money as possible."

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Asimov mostly wrote books about how making an absolute law saying "don't hurt people" hurts people over and over in all sorts of 5-35 page logic puzzle mysteries about how a robot could do a thing that seemingly broke the rules. So I'm not really sure he thought the rules were a super effective idea.

I think it's probably better to start with a rule along those lines that isn't 100% perfect than to start with the rule "more money, gently caress everyone"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That it was some short story that I can't remember the name of about a blind man being a world class super genius and science realizing that his brain had rewired to use his visual contrex for problem solving and science figures out a technique to do that repeatably so people end up having to remove their kid's eyes because no amount of study will ever make you as good as an eyeless genius. Until it spreads to nearly any skilled labor and only unskilled laborers have eyes.

This is awesome and kind of reminds me of beggars in spain. The sleepless are immediately rejected by society as a whole and it deals more with persecution and whatever other weirdness, but they are smarter and happier than everyone else as a side affect of not having to sleep. I haven't read them in a while.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

In the spirit of that good effort post about GANs, here is an older paper with a workflow demonstration of how future content creation could look like. The paper is old as gently caress(2016), so the quality of generated imagery is probably a lot higher now

Semantic Style Transfer and Turning Two-Bit Doodles into Fine Artwork

Skills required? Absolutely loving zero

Decisions like "how big this pond should be" and "where this tree should be" are important artistic decisions. The AI just handles the tedious brushwork.

Soon we will all be able to create majestic works together with AI partners.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Well then maybe it doesn't matter if AI is real great at mspaint? Because real brushwork is done with real brushes or whatever.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Why is it so important that this thread assign blame today with only the information reported in the news?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Dickeye will fight anyone but is scared of the robots, the one thing he knows his fists can't beat.

Is there a study showing how much safer a driverless car would have to be before the average person trusts it rather than driving theirself?

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It'll be something like the camera detecting her wide bike as the back of a car instead of a pedestrian and not dealing with moving horizontally correctly.

This sounds like Ubers fault.

• Locked thread