Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morbus
May 18, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Where the hell are you driving where you are pushing against the physical limitations of your cars or biology?

Haven't you seen any of the endless studies that show how for example it's totally safe for most roads to quite significantly raise speed limits because they have virtually no effect on death rates until extreme rises because no one is actually straining at their limits of reaction times or car physical abilities?

Where the hell are you driving that the interstate isn't packed with retards following at distances well below the physical limits of their car's braking ability, let alone their reaction times?

I swear to god I can't drive 5 minutes on 101 without seeing a chain of people going 80mph with less than 2 meters between them.

At least if someone decides to quickly change into their lane it will be well signaled and timed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Magius1337est posted:

so now that energy efficiency doesn't matter, what's the largest electric suv can you build?

Energy efficiency arguably matters more for an electric passenger vehicle than one with an ICE. An inefficient electric vehicle will either be expensive due to needing more batteries, have poor range, or both.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Software error is one of the things that worry me. Autonomous cars are fine in relatively short-term tests, but how will the software and hardware hold up over months and years of use?

Another concern is hacking. We've all seen the reports of wifi-connected cars that are prone to hacking, or children's devices with Internet connectivity that can be used for surveillance. I know that you're never going to create something that's completely invulnerable to hacking and tampering, but peace of mind when you sit in a device traveling at 70 mph down the interstate is important. The next great war may not be fought in conventional terms, but in the cybersphere, if that's a word.

Finally, I'd like for Silicon Valley to acknowledge, internally, that they're asking for society to make a major change.I can't speak for everyone, but it's not enough for me when they just quote traffic fatality statistics and accuse skeptical people of being Luddites. Are there actions that can be taken in the shorter term to help prevent roadway deaths? Maybe we can step up driver education and enforcement of traffic laws. It's not going to prevent all the deaths on the road, but it's an intermediate step we can take before autonomous driving become a mainstream thing.

Do you seriously think that autonomous driving technology is being pursued primarily for safety reasons? Silicon Valley doesn't care what you think, the first company that makes even a halfway passable ratfuck of a self driving car is going to make a fuckzillion dollars and that's that.

• Locked thread