Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shao821
May 28, 2005

You want SHOCK?! I'll SHOCK you full of SHOCK!

INH5 posted:

The single biggest argument against the automation scare mongering is that autopilot systems fully capable of taking off, flying, and landing a plane without any human intervention were invented decades ago and yet today we have a shortage of airplane pilots. Until someone can explain to me why this happened and why it won't happen in other jobs (especially in the favorite topic of truck drivers and self-driving trucks), I'm going to take all of these claims with a large bucket of salt.

Air travel (and to the same extent airframe manufacturing) is all about trust and risk reduction. Sure they have these systems. But just like self-driving cars, there will be someone behind the wheel. That is, until people become comfortable with the automated systems and the perceived risk of using them becomes negligible. At first, they'll start by retraining the pilots to allow the planes to take the wheel for certain phases of flight, just like they do now, but with more emphasis on taxi, takeoff, and landing. Then pilots will become glorified babysitters for the fully automated planes. After 20-30 years of advertising this to their customers (because everything in aviation is slow, they still don't have wireless DAL C systems yet, much less B or A), airlines may start introducing fully automated flights to see how the passengers take it. If people accept it, great. If not, then they just put in some guy with 10 hours of flight training and pay him 15 bucks an hour. Either way, the well trained, well paid pilots are doomed long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shao821
May 28, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

I thought it might have been why this thread popped back up, but there was a White House economic report on automation this week.

Its assessment is similar to the one that was included with an earlier White House report on the economy. The biggest difference is that there's more of a focus on "AI" and automation in forms other than actual industrial robots.

From the report itself:

(the authors don't address the productivity/wage decoupling that seems to be happening, although they do note elsewhere that wages being further depressed is a pretty likely short/medium term outcome)

The policy suggestions are pretty much exactly what's been discussed in this thread: strengthening safety nets and increasing access to education and job training. The tone of the report is fairly neutral, but the details make it clear just how loving awful a time this is for the Republicans to be running the show.

I'm looking forward to at least 4 years where when the government supplies bullshit figures the majority of the populace at least know they are being lied to.

50% is definitely the more accurate number, in my experience.

Shao821
May 28, 2005

"A computer will never take my job" - Literal human calculators from the 50s who used to do all the arithmetic for nuclear weapons

If you think your job is safe from automation, and your job can be proceduralized in any way, you are wrong.

Here's how it goes. You get a nice job. But you live in the 1st world, so you cost a lot of money. So they get you to develop better and better work instructions until they can offshore that poo poo to a poor country. Then they start investing in capital, because 1st world capitalists don't particularly like having to deal with 3rd world countries, they do it because the people are cheap and exploitable. This capital is called "automation." 1st world people, like you if you are lucky enough to understand it, work on it until the process of building the "automation" has better work instructions, then they offshore that poo poo too, and get a smaller subset of 1st world employees to build a way to automate the process of building the existing automated architectures. And on and on it goes, until all the product is made by capital and a small subset of artisans if necessary. People tend to like poo poo with a bit of a human touch. I could see the capital being located in the 3rd world, but only if the capitalists believe the country is secure enough, which right now is not descriptive of most of these countries.

• Locked thread