Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
I saw the funniest thing today. You know those sign spinners? People on the street corner rocking, spinning, and tossing adverts for some store or business? I saw a machine that mimicked that motion. They literally automated the job of standing on a corner and waving a sign...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Has anyone written about my gut feeling that amounts to "not all automation"? I don't think automation is inherently zero sum. Many automated systems give rise to new industries, creating more jobs than destroyed. Naturally most such positive knock-on effects are less invisible or more obfuscated than the negatives, but...

Anyway are there studies showing positive effects on employment? I just don't buy the blanket theory that automation will doom is all to the bread lines. I also don't intend to minimize the need to compensate, like providing retraining and other social programs. It's just that the tone of these discussions always has a luddite feel.

• Locked thread