Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

this is beautiful, I look forward to the day when petty tyrant managers have been rendered obsolete

And then a bug in the software wildly appears.

"Please cease your current activity and go clean the restroom."
*employee does so*
"I see you are in the restroom, while here, please clean it." (manager bot docks employee 5 performance points)
*restroom is already clean*
"I see you are in the restroom, while here, please clean it." (manager bot docks employee 5 performance points)
*employee leaves the clean restroom*
"There's an issue with the restroom, your next task is to clean it." (manager bot docks employee 5 performance points)
*employee enters the clean restroom, has nothing to do, leaves*
"There's an issue with the restroom, your next task is to clean it." (manager bot docks employee 5 performance points)

Repeat ad infinitum.

Yeah, I can't see anything going wrong with this idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

boner confessor posted:

uh, roads already existed before the mass adoption of automobiles. roads changed very little in comparison to the way people used roads. cars themselves were adapted for roads, the already extant infrastructure, and not the other way round

Partially right and partially wrong.

Early cars were adapted to the roads that were in use. But the roads that were in use at the time were adapted to horses.

Don't try to tell me roads changed from dirt/gravel to concrete/asphalt because concrete/asphalt is the ideal surface condition for a horse-drawn carriage.

Roads adapted to human-driven cars from horses as human-driven cars became more ubiquitous.

Not a stretch to imagine a future where roads adapted to human-driven cars will change as autonomous vehicles become more ubiquitous.

This isn't technobabble or future-fetishism.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Stopping technological progress sounds like a great way to lose the war against Eurasia.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

I just want to point out: Planes are already designed with lightning protection in mind.

Here's a decent basic summary: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-happens-when-lightni/

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

ElCondemn posted:

They've been cutting back crews for a while now, I'm sure in the next 10 years we'll just have tubes that drop down from where the air masks do. You'll just suck on the end of the tube to get your legally mandated ration as you hurl through the air prone and stacked in cages to maximize space usage.

Please...only the poors will have to take the cattle air-cars. The rich will be able to pay people to fly places for them.

• Locked thread