Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I am interested in this topic because of the possible implications it has for creating more robust social security systems such as basic income or a social dividend, or to a somewhat lesser extent minimum income. What are the chances that something like this 1) gets implemented at all and 2) is implemented in a fairly reasonable period of time (I'm tempted to say 10 years here but "reasonable" for something that massive is probably more like 20)?

My thoughts and beliefs on income inequality, what it means to be employed, the importance of work vs. family, job insecurity, etc. have led me to have a strong desire for one of these systems to be in place. Preferably sooner rather than later or, you know, not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

SaTaMaS posted:

I get pretty scared when people start saying things like "If things get bad enough, they'll HAVE to implent UBI". Not that you're saying that, but a lot of people seem to be. Here's one alternative - mass unemployment leads to social unrest, which leads to nationalism, which leads to war, which leads to lots of people getting killed off who would have otherwise been unemployed. Sound familiar?

Yes absolutely. Obviously the country coming together in a mass unemployment scenario and saying "gee, it seems like our economy is fundamentally changing, we oughta rethink how we feel about work and income" is probably one of the best outcomes from a bad situation that anyone can hope for, while there are a multitude of other outcomes that are not great to say the least. However, given that there are so many possible outcomes, I was asking what people thought the chances were that something like basic income or a social dividend would end up getting implemented as a result of automation.

• Locked thread