Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

The dog whistle here is that automation can't work in poor/black neighborhoods, either because automatons can't withstand a mugging or because the robocop style killbots can't identify non-threatening targets that aren't white people.

I like the idea that if the risk of murder is high enough we have to send human employees on delivery routes and can't use automation because of the risks to the robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The future of autonomous cars is here:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cicero posted:

Makes sense, construction is a much more controlled environment than streets, and "obstacle in way, just stop where you are until it's gone" is a much more acceptable response for an excavator than it is for a car on the road.

Yeah autonomous and remote controlled vehicles are already heavily used in some mining operations for those reasons and the added bonus of reduced safety overhead.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

that's some horse ebooks like poo poo

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

dear god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f37LA3NLapI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkMhFBfjQ5A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=463F4_K3FGg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urwLg3HPjQc

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 8, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It's also all about the amount of content too. Watching an hour of unboxing, lets play, football, etc probably relatively harmless. Watching 4+ hours of the same content, even "just" football reruns, a day as a child? That's going to gently caress you up somehow.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

I did twice already and you keep ignoring it as well.

Huh? All you posted was this

Solkanar512 posted:

But hey, no big deal, right? Just move fast and break things!

then you complained about people not reading it right

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

This seems like the dumbest thing.

500 miles? That's a big nothing. How long to charge the batteries? How long before you can take the truck out again? Why would companies buy a truck with a massive downtime and a short range?

The torque of the electric engine would be real nice though, that I admit.

There's a lot of short distance freight traffic in the USA. 40% of the total value and 50% of the total weight of US freight traffic moves less than 100 miles. Looks like something like 60% of the value of all US freight traffic travels distances of less than 500 miles.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A self-driving train could still be a derail.

With poor track maintenance or something.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Depends on your definition of AI doesn't it? If AI includes everything from image classifiers to AlphaGo and everything in between, 10,000 new projects sounds like a low number.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

And people live lives outside of traditional employment already right now. If you can claim one side is just prototypes of what is to come why can't you on the other?

I think people are arguing the shantytowns and homeless encampments are the prototypes for our future.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

You can't say automation will reduce the number of factory jobs, why what if something unforeseen happens and the opposite occurs! Ever thought of that?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

What's the big deal about people wanting jobs? Why most people were serfs or slaves for centuries and we can just return to that!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

We already have the means to clothe the naked, feed the hungry, and heal the sick. We choose not to ( unless they can afford it ).

Do you not get that?

seems like they're just mad people say "automation causes x bad thing" rather than saying "automation within the current capitalistic context causes x bad thing" every single time instead

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

StabbinHobo posted:

this is such utterly reactionary drivel. you can change the nouns and it works for anything.

Doesn't your own criticism fall to your own critique?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Contrast is that if you actually believed that a global holocaust is coming and aren't just pretending you do as a way to whine about the kids today with their darn iphones it seems to be strange to wish for the government to crack down better on stuff like illegal taxis or illegal hotels since presumably you and your children are going to soon live their entire life only riding in illegal taxis and staying in illegal hotels once the rich finish their doomsday device and outlaw nonrobotic employment or whatever and you have no money to take the real taxi.

Do you really think millions won't die due to climate change?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Clearly the fact homelessness is as bad as it is in the richest country on earth should be unthinkable but it's some pretty dumb logic to think the fact homeless people decided to pitch their tent in front of the SPCA means "guess it's your responsibility now to solve homelessness in america, SPCA, get to that"

Sure, there's a difference between dealing with homelessness like many local businesses and community members do on a daily basis and hiring a robot to patrol the public sidewalks.

Of course, this nuance is lost on you.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hiring a human guard would be better for the community and more humane than having a private robot patrolling streets and harassing people and/or enforcing the law.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thalantos posted:

Except homeless people aren't breaking into middle class neighborhoods to do that, homeless folks can't get there because there's no transit system to the suburbs. And if they ever did show up they'd be pretty instantly picked up and arrested by the cops in those areas who don't have anything better to do.

For context, they got the robot for a neighborhood where the median home value is over $1M.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

And an average income of 10,000 to 27,000 a year.

Maybe years ago. The mission now has a median income above $90k.

Median rent is over $3k a month, so few poor people who can afford to still live there.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

What if we have megadeath and also the wicked aren't punished?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

That's kind of depressing, really. I know a fair amount of people who used their creativity to lever themselves to a better life, usually through writing or art. Some of them just make a few hundred dollars a month, but if you're grinding along in this economy, a few hundred bucks a month can make a real difference.

Good luck making a buck through writing when AI authors take off.

After the AI creatives take off there will still be a decent period where human skill in utilizing AI for human consumption will still be advantageous.

So someone who might have been limited to a canvas of a few meters by their own hand could utilize AI compatriots to design landscapes kilometers in size. The author that tweaks the Young-Adult-Fic-Bot2.4 into the true "Neverending Story" will have an advantage over an uncurated AI.

Eventually the window will close but in the meanwhile there will be a niche for human curated AIs in these creative fields.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The horrible dystopian future anyone can have the tools to create art and it no longer costs money.

lol if you think these AI tools will be free to use.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is the glum suicide jerk off fantasy that it'll be so cheap and ubiquitous it'll replace the job or artist or the the thirst for a grim future that it'll be so expensive no one but the rich can control it?

It can both be cheaper than hiring an artist and paying for their labor but also still expensive enough that it doesn't make creating art free for an aspiring artist with no budget.

Just because licensing fees and machine time might become cheaper than paying a graphic designer or whatever doesn't mean everyone can automatically afford that licensing fees and machine time.

Also you keep projecting about suicide, that's concerning and certainly nothing to joke about. I hope you're doing ok.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is there even many real world examples of technologies being horded by the rich and intentionally priced out of normal people's reach for more than a few years that aren't like private jet planes where the object is inherently expensive to produce or like medical technology in the U.S. specifically?

Of course you stick in all this nonsense about "intentionally horded" to avoid the core part of the criticism, that when a machine replaces a job, rarely can that worker afford to buy that machine outright instead.

It isn't "intentional hording" for expensive machines to replace workers, but that doesn't change the fact that when a job is automated it isn't the worker who will end up owning the machine. Sure, at least the cost of entry to software is lower than mechanical machines, but the one-sided relationship is the same. When software replaces a job the worker can't solve their problems by just buying the software, even if they can afford it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Will Wright talked a lot about this concept before making Spore. But not just from a difficulty context but the idea that the game could guess the narrative you want and build the game arc to match.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

How does more and more expensive equipment help democratize farming?

Historically, it has been capital intensive labor-saving machinery that has led to farm consolidation. You need a farm large enough to make owning the machine make economic sense. Renting the machine or taking a loan to buy it is the exact process that leads to small farms dying as they get squeezed between fixed or rising costs and crop prices set lower by the economies of scale massive farms present.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I wonder what the current run time.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also robot AI will always lag datacenter AI if nothing more than due to computing power and data access.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

AI is pretty murky and hand wavingly defined and people would call a lifelike chatbot robot way more intelligent than a database window even if the database window was doing way way way more complex stuff. If something is ai or not is mostly a matter of if it activates primate brain center that judge aliveness rather than any sort of raw computational output.

You’re missing my point. Regardless of the definition of AI you use, the more powerful ones will not be the ones located in mobile devices like Boston Dynamic’s robots.

Replace AI in my post with “systems of machine learning algorithms and heuristics” if you prefer, but the point remains the same. More data and more processing power is available for non-mobile units than mobile ones.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thalantos posted:

What would stop you from having the ai in a data center somewhere and having the robots be remotely controlled?

Then the datacenter AI is still the more powerful one.

My point was don’t look to robots for the “smarter than humans” AI, look to the AIs consuming massive amounts of data and processing power instead.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm afraid it'll take a while until Waymo taxis can drive in Prague more than 100 meters without getting stuck or involved in some sort of incident so you'll put up with it.

That’s a bit unfair when 100m is further than a human driver can get without one

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

To admit that you are a ghoulish weirdo who is hyperfixated on how lucky elon musk is to have a dad that raped him? Because his dad was also somewhat rich.

I wouldn't let my dad rape me for a million dollars.

Where are you getting this poo poo that Elon was raped by his dad?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, he said his dad did the most evil crime imaginable while sobbing, he could mean tax evasion or something but there is a pretty short list of crimes that people typically call "the most evil crimes imaginable" or that make people cry to think about.

I couldn’t find a single media report or statement from Musk that mentions sexual assault at all (excluding abuse at his companies of course).

You’re throwing around an accusation of rape based on you assuming that being raped is the only reason Elon Musk could cry. That’s a disgusting new low for your willingness to make poo poo up to defend Musk’s unethical behaviors.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, if it was someone other than elon musk that said " Almost every crime you can possibly think of, he has done. Almost every evil thing you could possibly think of, he has done. It's so terrible, you can't believe it,"" while publically crying what crimes would you assume they are talking about?

I would assume it was hyperbole, since Elon’s dad didn’t commit genocide and also transporting wildlife in California without a license.

More specifically, Elon has said his dad did some unspecified emotional abuse. He has never mentioned any sexual abuse at the hand of his father. That’s just where your mind went.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Admit that if it was anyone other than musk if you heard someone said their dad did "the most evil thing you can imagine" that you would know exactly what they meant and wouldn't be spinning yarns about how maybe they meant something else.

Can you find anyone who agrees with your insane “Elon was raped by his dad, obviously!” theory?

Or is this a case where you’re the sane one for immediately thinking rape and the rest of us are the crazy ones for not immediately thinking rape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CopperHound posted:

Jesus Christ, lighten up. That statistic was a joke. We haven't murdered enough people with robot cars yet to get a reliable number.

I assure you, there will be a bunch of people arguing about that “statistic” completely seriously.

Invalid Validation posted:

Any statistics on how many accidents automated cars have compared to the general public?

Not until they stop using safety drivers. So maybe Waymo’s next report will give us an inkling.

• Locked thread