Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

wateroverfire posted:

For example:

Software pings an employee and says it's time to clean the bathroom. How does the software verify that the bathroom was really cleaned vs the employee just wiping down the splatter sensor (if that is a thing) and taking a break?

Will the software be able to manage ordering, evaluating maintinence needs, and interacting with franchisees?

For the first one, you can have the employees spot check each other.

Later in the story there's a mention that Manna makes an effort to keep employees from interacting with each other, like if you worked at a grocery store, you could go the entire day without being in the same aisle as another employee.

Once employees no longer interact, they don't have any loyalty to each other. When Manna tells you to go to the bathroom and report on the cleanliness, you're going to do it.

Sure, it breaks down if all the employees organize, but that's kind of a far fetched unbelievable fantasy.

As for ordering, that's already automated in a lot of industries. As soon as you buy a product at Wal-Mart, another one gets ordered. All they really have to do is account for shrinkage.

You don't necessarily need to replace every worker, you just need to replace some of them, consolidate some jobs, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I work in IT, at my last job, doing desktop support, I could probably have cut the department by a third over the course of a year or two with only a small initial outlay.

There was one time when they wanted to do an inventory of every computer in the company, and they'd divvied it up among everyone expecting to take a week or two.

I got the required information overnight with about five lines of code in Powershell.

These were all smart people with a good background in technology, and if they were automated out of a job, they'd be looking for other work.

That's the second threat that people forget, even if a job is safe from automation, it's not safe from newly unemployed people with a more advanced skillset.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
We just need to automate the capital class.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

silence_kit posted:

I'm sure that the fuel and maintenance costs of a jumbo jet dwarf the pilot's labor cost. I would be shocked if the airlines would be that motivated to do away with trained human pilots.

Only if the autopilot is more efficient than the human pilot in terms of maintenance and fuel cost.
If autopilot can perform smoother landings at optimal speeds, it would pay to keep the human from touching things unless it's an emergency.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
And even if a specific job can't be automated, there are smarter, more talented people working in higher paying jobs that are going to be automated, and then you're going to be competing against them, and since they're desperate, they'll take a pay cut.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

BobTheJanitor posted:

I mean, if things get real bad and we don't have any plans in place, there will be a solution, but it's not going to be a good one. Once the riots and wars destroy all the technology along with half of the population, we'll no longer have the problem of joblessness to worry about! :v:

Just remember to not blow up the automated food factories.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

RedneckwithGuns posted:

So I haven't had time to scan the thread too much, but I have a question for people more acquainted with automation issues than me:

I'm getting my PharmD degree. What's the state of health care automation and how long do I have before Walgreens replaces us with robots so the only career route we have left is nebulous med-rec/BEERS consulting gigs for retirement homes in the parts of Florida still above water.

My girlfriend is going through Pharmacy school now. I've strongly encouraged her to acquire additional skills to allow her to do something beyond just retail pharmacy.

It looks like there's some push to give pharmacists more ability to provide primary care, like administering vaccines, etc.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Uncle Jam posted:

Yeah I know those button machines but I always end up talking to the person I give the ticket to about the order, and once you have the food you can add on while eating like more noodles and how to cook the noodles.

For count the plates you can always yell out an order for something that's not on the belt, and is pretty much required during non rush times since they don't stock the belt much then.

The completely automated stuff is super new.

They are really nice for people who don't speak the language.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Solkanar512 posted:

Google? It's hard to say given that all their testing is internal and they experience twice as many accidents per mile than a human does.

Do they experience more accidents per mile, or do they report twice as many accidents per mile?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think parking garages will become more common. Instead of having gigantic lots in front of every store, you'll just have loading/drop-off areas and your car will store itself 5 minutes away until you summon it.

It'll create a whole new mess of problems at first, what do you do when the pick up area is full of cars waiting for their passengers who are still shopping, but your car is waiting to get in?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
With an Uber driver, you can yell at them, but how do you make a self driving car pull back around and come back in five minutes?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Maybe shorten it to "PuH"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
‘What If We Try This?’ Asks Robotics Grad Student About To Eliminate 30% Of Workforce

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If we really wanted to automate taxes, we'd have the IRS do the calculations first, and then send you a form saying "This is what we think you should get, click here to accept, or do it yourself if you think it's not right."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Guavanaut posted:

Especially since sometimes those emotions include stuff like "black guys don't really feel pain as much and are just drug seeking."

We can teach a computer to think that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Just throwing this out there, has anyone tried automating capital and/or wealthy people?

• Locked thread