Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
surprised we made it near the end of page 2 to page 3 without anything on self-driving cars yet

imho they will "save" the suburbs. "two car families" will become one car families. baby boomers will stay in their homes longer (losing the ability to drive is a big inflection point for "move to a home or in with kids").

its still dumb as gently caress to heat/cool, maintain, and travel to and from them, but if its one car servicing 20 people at <50g of CO2/km vs the modern one car serving 1.5 people at 100 - 250g...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Self driving cars can't deliver milk.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Self driving cars can't deliver milk.
That's what the quadchopper drones are for. :rolleyes:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Odobenidae posted:

Hate suburbs? Want to throw up? Look up Phoenix, Arizona on google maps.

Oh god, i was doing a roadtrip of the southwest and remember it taking THREE HOURS to drive through Phoenix at full freeway speed. Its massive.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fargo Fukes posted:

I hope this doesn't really need to be said but these are terrible ideas.

The smarter thing to do would be to rein in power of local governments and tear up zoning laws across the board. A big part of the reason developers have fled out to build endless lovely tract housing in desert scrubland is that no-one will fight them doing it. They throw up the houses, they sell the houses. Or not. The things are so cheap I wouldn't be surprised if they could eat the occasional complete failure and go build somewhere else. Try renovating a multi-building lot within a city block on the other hand and it's endless complaints from authorities with masses of power but no responsibility. There's huge amounts of money to be made in building or renovating nice modern housing in cities, and plenty of old or badly purposed lots that need fixed up. The pieces to the solution are all there, if the local governments could ever be convinced to get out of the way.

This is like anti-vax but for real estate. "Why do we use these dumb umbrellas?? I never get wet"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

This is like anti-vax but for real estate. "Why do we use these dumb umbrellas?? I never get wet"

The Obama White House agrees with him: https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whitehouse.gov/files/images/Housing_Development_Toolkit%20f.2.pdf

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Oh Well In That Case.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Completely getting rid of zoning is a bad idea but radically loosening the restrictions is a good idea. Specifically, generally allowing for higher density, and for mixed uses in a zone would both be really good.

I believe Japanese zoning works with the idea of a zone having a sort of maximum nuisance level (based on noise, traffic, pollution, etc.) and so instead of explicitly allowing/disallowing specific uses per zone, each potential use has a nuisance level associated with it, and so you're good to go as long as a proposed use is under the max for that zone.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 11, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cicero posted:

Completely getting rid of zoning is a bad idea but radically loosening the restrictions is a good idea. Specifically, generally allowing for higher density, and for mixed uses in a zone would both be really good.

I believe Japanese zoning works with the idea of a zone having a sort of maximum nuisance level (based on noise, traffic, pollution, etc.) and so instead of explicitly allowing/disallowing specific uses per zone, each potential use has a nuisance level associated with it, and so you're good to go as long as a proposed use is under the max for that zone.

A guy who thinks "endless lovely tract housing in desert scrubland" is a model for how the real estate industry should work is not a supporter of higher density, mixed-use zoning, and "radically loosening the restrictions" would not get you higher density, mixed-use zoning, it would get you whatever developers see the biggest dollar signs in.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

A guy who thinks "endless lovely tract housing in desert scrubland" is a model for how the real estate industry should work is not a supporter of higher density, mixed-use zoning, and "radically loosening the restrictions" would not get you higher density, mixed-use zoning, it would get you whatever developers see the biggest dollar signs in.

High density mixed use areas are just rich enclaves, theme parks where rich people can pretend to play community.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

He didn't say it was a model. He said it's happens because that's what is easiest to build. If you made it easier to build other things (like mixed use, high density) then those things would happen more often.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Badger of Basra posted:

He didn't say it was a model. He said it's happens because that's what is easiest to build. If you made it easier to build other things (like mixed use, high density) then those things would happen more often.

No, then they would just build the easy thing in more places.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

There are ways to make it easier to build desired developments while keeping them from building suburban tract homes in the middle of downtown.

e: Here's an example: https://www.kcet.org/departures-columns/how-downtown-la-became-a-place-to-live-without-parking

LA's code required high parking minimums for downtown and so there were a bunch of vacant buildings that no one wanted to renovate because they didn't want to pay for the parking. The Adaptive Reuse Ordinance reduced the parking minimums and LA got a bunch of downtown housing units in renovated historic buildings.

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 11, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Badger of Basra posted:

There are ways to make it easier to build desired developments while keeping them from building suburban tract homes in the middle of downtown.

I agree! Those ways are called "the power of local governments." Welcome to the conversation.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

I agree! Those ways are called "the power of local governments." Welcome to the conversation.

But local government is bad so [return to start].

Not gonna lie, the problem with my real estate is directly tied to local government. However, it's more tied to local government having two realtors on the zoning board, so again the problem is more about crooked pieces of poo poo that are maximizing their profits versus "GUBBERMINT MEAN!".

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

A guy who thinks "endless lovely tract housing in desert scrubland" is a model for how the real estate industry should work
???

He's clearly saying that the reason they do that kind of housing in the middle of nowhere is specifically because zoning makes it harder to build significant housing in areas that are already at least somewhat urbanized.

Land in cities where the metro is growing in population is too valuable to build the kind of crappy McMansions you see in exurban areas; with zoning loosened it would make much more sense to build to higher densities. That said I don't think anyone is suggesting getting rid of basic building codes that mandate a minimum quality of construction.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cicero posted:

That said I don't think anyone is suggesting getting rid of basic building codes that mandate a minimum quality of construction.

Here is a direct quote from the idiot I was originally responding to:

Fargo Fukes posted:

The smarter thing to do would be to rein in power of local governments and tear up zoning laws across the board.

I don't know who you think would be mandating minimum construction quality if not local governments. See what happened here is Fargo Fukes said a dumb insane thing, and I said "yo that's dumb and insane" and everyone started piling on me going "Why don't you like smart sane things? It's not like anyone suggested something dumb and insane" and hi, everyone, please meet Fargo Fukes.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

quote:

See what happened here is Fargo Fukes said a dumb insane thing, and I said "yo that's dumb and insane" and everyone started piling on me going "Why don't you like smart sane things? It's not like anyone suggested something dumb and insane" and hi, everyone, please meet Fargo Fukes.
Actually what happened is that you inferred something that wasn't there, although it's an understandable mixup.

When people are talking about zoning regulations they're almost always talking about what uses are allowed for an area, not fundamental building standards. Those are different things. The latter is mostly about safety, the former is more about neighborhood character.

See:

quote:

There are instances when some local jurisdictions choose to develop their own building codes. At some point in time all major cities in the United States had their own building codes. However, due to ever increasing complexity and cost of developing building regulations, virtually all municipalities in the country have chosen to adopt model codes instead. For example, in 2008 New York City abandoned its proprietary 1968 New York City Building Code in favor of a customized version of the International Building Code.[7] The City of Chicago remains the only municipality in America that continues to use a building code the city developed on its own as part of the Municipal Code of Chicago.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Building_code

Obviously most cities in the US still have zoning regulations.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 12, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cicero posted:

When people are talking about zoning regulations they're almost always talking about what uses are allowed for an area, not fundamental building standards. Those are different things. The latter is mostly about safety, the former is more about neighborhood character.

See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Building_code

Obviously most cities in the US still have zoning regulations.

Thanks for the wikipedia link, cool argument guy. Now who will be enforcing building codes if not for local governments? You keep pretending I'm opposing sane things, when I'm actually criticizing something we both think is insane. If you thing governments and zoning regulations should still exist, you are on my side, not idiot libertarian Fargo Fukes' side. This really isn't that complicated.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Thanks for the wikipedia link, cool argument guy. Now who will be enforcing building codes if not for local governments? You keep pretending I'm opposing sane things, when I'm actually criticizing something we both think is insane. If you thing governments and zoning regulations should still exist, you are on my side, not idiot libertarian Fargo Fukes' side. This really isn't that complicated.
Again, zoning regulations and building codes are not the same thing (although there are probably some bits where they overlap). Just about any discussion about zoning will not be talking about building standards. For example, see this discussion about whether Houston has zoning or not: https://urbanedge.blogs.rice.edu/2015/09/08/forget-what-youve-heard-houston-really-does-have-zoning-sort-of/#.WE3tYPkrJaQ

quote:

Festa also rattles off a list of other policies that bolster his case that Houston effectively has zoning.

Deed restrictions: In Houston, developers create rules to prevent things like corner stores within residential neighborhoods. Those rules are called deed restrictions. Houston is unique in that it will represent residents when they try to enforce those covenants.

Density: Historically, the area within the confines of the 610 Loop have been permitted to have higher levels of density than the rest of the city. But recent changes to city policies extend the higher density levels all the way to Beltway 8. “Those are rules that tell you what you can and can’t do, based on where you are on a map,” Festa said.

Tax Increment Reinvestment Zones: The controversial tool allows certain areas within distinct boundaries to retain property tax revenue for uses within their borders. The word “zone” is right in the name.

Airports: The Houston area has three major airports, and under federal rules, the communities around them are subject to zoning requirements. “It’s a good chunk of metropolitan Houston, and it’s flat out zoning,” Festa said.

Buffering ordinance: New rules restrict tall buildings to “major activity centers” by limiting their height, set back requirements and construction styles.

Historic preservation: Residents can ensure many types of building restrictions within their communities if they get enough votes to create a historic district.

Lot sizes: City rules restrict lot sizes, but neighborhoods can petition for even tighter restrictions if they get the votes.
Notice how none of those subject areas are about minimum building standards to make sure things won't fall over or blow up? By "zoning laws" Fargo was obviously talking about this kind of thing, not "let's get rid of all building codes" because he didn't say that.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 12, 2016

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
This is actually in interesting discussion, but I feel like we're completely glossing over the whole aspect of kids. While that may not be a concern of your average single early 20's D&D poster, the simple fact is, in America, most people with the money to buy a house (aka the target of developers) are aged 30-50 with kids, so naturally trends are going to follow that group. Anyway, from firsthand experience, I can say I prefer to live in the city because there's more to do. At least, I did when I was younger. But now I've got 2 kids. Most schools in the city suck. The parks in urban areas are nice green spaces, but there needs to be kid poo poo around so the little bastards can wear themselves out instead of bothering the poo poo out of me at home and destroying the house.

Also, a kid somehow manages to turn everything in sight into a deadly weapon. In a suburban house with a lot of space, it's less likely they'll get bored and build a set of stairs so that they can take a leap and plummet to their death from the 5th floor of your mid-rise urban condo. Or run out into a 4-lane one way street and get hit by a massive truck. Yes, these things can and do happen in suburbia, but it's easier to protect against. So, I'm not saying cities need to change from catering to hipsters, yuppies, and DINKs, but there's a reason why suburbs will never die. Most urban cores are basically expensive death traps that are actively hostile in almost every conceivable way to having young people there.

Having said all that, I've lived for years in Japan and they manage to have a good mix of urbanization and family-centric areas. As discussed before, zoning has a lot to do with it. But then again, the Japanese are generally more group-conscientious about that sort of thing. Americans have a bad habit of "gently caress you got mine", where families look out for themselves and gently caress over young single people, and vice versa. I don't think we'll ever have a decent solution in this country.

Also the white flight thing can be a red herring. I'm black, and I (plus literally every black person I know that has come into money) will pack up and move the hell away, too. I don't think it's nearly as much of a factor as it was 50 years ago.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cicero posted:

Again, zoning regulations and building codes are not the same thing (although there are probably some bits where they overlap). Just about any discussion about zoning will not be talking about building standards. For example, see this discussion about whether Houston has zoning or not: https://urbanedge.blogs.rice.edu/2015/09/08/forget-what-youve-heard-houston-really-does-have-zoning-sort-of/#.WE3tYPkrJaQ

Notice how none of those subject areas are about minimum building standards to make sure things won't fall over or blow up? By "zoning laws" Fargo was obviously talking about this kind of thing, not "let's get rid of all building codes" because he didn't say that.

Hey moron: I know what a loving zoning law is. Are you also an idiot libertarian? Is that why this is such a struggle for you? I'd love to talk city planning with anyone who can tell the difference between "improve" and "abolish," but apparently that's not you, so why don't you and the other guy go suck each other's cocks while watching Atlas Shrugged.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

StabbinHobo posted:

surprised we made it near the end of page 2 to page 3 without anything on self-driving cars yet

imho they will "save" the suburbs. "two car families" will become one car families. baby boomers will stay in their homes longer (losing the ability to drive is a big inflection point for "move to a home or in with kids").

its still dumb as gently caress to heat/cool, maintain, and travel to and from them, but if its one car servicing 20 people at <50g of CO2/km vs the modern one car serving 1.5 people at 100 - 250g...

autonomous driving will change car ownership, but it does nothing to reduce the amount of cars on the road. you still have 2 people driving to work or running errands and burning the same amount of fuel to do it, just in someone else's car (or your own while you jack off behind the wheel).

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rekinom posted:

Having said all that, I've lived for years in Japan and they manage to have a good mix of urbanization and family-centric areas. As discussed before, zoning has a lot to do with it. But then again, the Japanese are generally more group-conscientious about that sort of thing. Americans have a bad habit of "gently caress you got mine", where families look out for themselves and gently caress over young single people, and vice versa. I don't think we'll ever have a decent solution in this country.

Japan has very lax zoning that is all controlled by their central government. Almost all of their city land area is zoned for multi-use and there is gently caress-all that the local government can do about it since the zones are prescribed centrally.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

FCKGW posted:

autonomous driving will change car ownership, but it does nothing to reduce the amount of cars on the road. you still have 2 people driving to work or running errands and burning the same amount of fuel to do it, just in someone else's car (or your own while you jack off behind the wheel).

They could ameliorate some of the today's social issues in suburbia though, like increasing the mobility of the elderly and disabled that are currently stranded in rural or suburban homes. It's a bandaid solution but I can think of a lot of people who'd be better off with safe reliable transport

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

FCKGW posted:

Something like uberPOOL could help with that though. That's probably the best hope for reducing suburban traffic congestion in general, just increase vehicle occupancy.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

OneEightHundred posted:

Something like uberPOOL could help with that though. That's probably the best hope for reducing suburban traffic congestion in general, just increase vehicle occupancy.

Or, perhaps, buses

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

merry exmarx posted:

Or, perhaps, buses
Automated carpooling is probably a more practical solution for suburbs where things are very scattered.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

OneEightHundred posted:

Automated carpooling is probably a more practical solution for suburbs where things are very scattered.

The safe assumption to make is that while some people would use automated ridesharing, most of them would use their own cars because there is no detriment to doing so beyond today. If anything automated cars might make urban sprawl just a little bit worse.

Also, getting rid of zoning laws without an massive increased infrastructure spending is nuts.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

w/automated cars you can basically work while you're commuting, for some jobs anyway, so enjoy all that extra productivity citizen. i guess thats true for public transit but like, much less so? i dunno. anyway its not a bad thing neccesarily im just thinking about worst case scenarios

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

blamegame posted:

w/automated cars you can basically work while you're commuting, for some jobs anyway, so enjoy all that extra productivity citizen. i guess thats true for public transit but like, much less so? i dunno. anyway its not a bad thing neccesarily im just thinking about worst case scenarios

The type of work you would be doing would probably be in the same in both cases, checking/writing emails on your phone.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OneEightHundred posted:

practical, yes, but unsatisfactory. on the one hand, dispersed automotive centric development patterns should (where they can) be densified for the benifit of people who can't drive like children, the elderly, the disabled, etc. on the other hand, to do so would require dismantling the regulatory enshrinement of local government control and automotive cetric modal transportation across america. currently american cities are slowly pushing out and densifying to be more useful but not fast enough to keep up with demand, meaning as american urban density grows in the suburbs it's snapped up by the youngish middle class etc. just moving the needy further out into forgotten burbs

merry exmarx posted:

Or, perhaps, buses

unfortunately much of american (and other nations) metropolitan development patterns is locked into this dumb suburban bullshit that makes buses largely impractical in a short term timeframe

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 12, 2016

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

merry exmarx posted:

Or, perhaps, buses

Automated pools that get you to bus/train hubs, then go back for more people. Small buses that go to big buses. IMO the larger benefit is reduction in parking needs. Vehicle count on the road may not change much but being able to dismiss my car into a garage should reduce parking needs and behavior (it helps that all the smart car designs are small). In fantasy autopia the garage would be solely for self-driving cars and they could self-valet into a much more dense arrangement. Eventually a hivemind will form but I should be old and gone by then.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Rekinom posted:

This is actually in interesting discussion, but I feel like we're completely glossing over the whole aspect of kids. While that may not be a concern of your average single early 20's D&D poster, the simple fact is, in America, most people with the money to buy a house (aka the target of developers) are aged 30-50 with kids, so naturally trends are going to follow that group. Anyway, from firsthand experience, I can say I prefer to live in the city because there's more to do. At least, I did when I was younger. But now I've got 2 kids. Most schools in the city suck. The parks in urban areas are nice green spaces, but there needs to be kid poo poo around so the little bastards can wear themselves out instead of bothering the poo poo out of me at home and destroying the house.
The issue isn't that all suburbs are bad, but that American ones mostly are. They're generally car dominant and hostile to walking or biking (which ironically means that they're hostile to kids getting around on their own, although maybe that's the point?), with no decent transit to be seen.

By contrast, if you look at suburbs around, say, Munich, you'll find that most are still somewhat dense (by American standards anyway), highly walkable, with a commuter rail line that goes to and from the city center every twenty minutes: https://www.google.com/maps/@48.1328987,11.5889884,10z/data=!5m1!1e2

quote:

Japan is a good example. Japan is safe enough for kids that it's not uncommon for six year olds to take regular transit to school by themselves, and there's a show called My First Errand about even younger kids going out to the store by themselves. Granted part of that is the different culture and social expectations, but urban design factors in too.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 12, 2016

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

It's not just kids.

http://www.globalanimal.org/2010/11/03/king-penguin-chills-at-local-fish-market/

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The suburban solution is 1/1,000,000 parts suburbs dissolved into water. It makes us very resistant to suburbia.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Well, even despite the convo on urban design and zoning... school quality is still the elephant in the room that people ignore.

Sure there are private schools in city cores, but now that means paying a premium to educate your kids on top of a premium to live downtown. Far easier/cheaper to just suck it up and commute absurdly long distances.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Rekinom posted:

Well, even despite the convo on urban design and zoning... school quality is still the elephant in the room that people ignore.

It's just so much easier with kids in the suburbs and that is a huge deal.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Rekinom posted:

Sure there are private schools in city cores, but now that means paying a premium to educate your kids on top of a premium to live downtown. Far easier/cheaper to just suck it up and commute absurdly long distances.

It's a fair point, and I don't think many would argue with you on this. For most middle class Americans buying a house in the suburbs is clearly a good decision, and there are lots of incentives for them to do so. However I think a lot of people here are trying to say that there's nothing inherent about suburbs that makes their schools better, but that that outcome is cause specifically by various planning choices implemented in the United States. There are however a number of drawbacks that definitely are inherent to American suburbs, and changing policy such that we create denser neighborhoods could produce better outcomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Squalid posted:

However I think a lot of people here are trying to say that there's nothing inherent about suburbs that makes their schools better,

exclusionary zoning which forbids people of a low SES from living in a certain district and driving up the amount of funding per student

Rekinom posted:

a good number of american cities still have good public schools, or at least good districts. the problem is that these districts may be highly sought after for housing and thus too expensive if you have more than one kid and aren't upper middle class. i live just outside of decatur, ga, heaven on earth for white liberal yuppies, which has an incredible independent city run public school system. as soon as you cross the city line headed south into atlanta housing prices sink rapidly as you pass into the not so good southern atlanta public school districts. headed north and east out of decatur you end up in the dekalb county school districts which are better in the northern part of the county. west of decatur is the best atlanta public school district, with housing prices that range from high to absurdly high

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 12, 2016

• Locked thread