Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

merry exmarx posted:

Or, perhaps, buses

Automated pools that get you to bus/train hubs, then go back for more people. Small buses that go to big buses. IMO the larger benefit is reduction in parking needs. Vehicle count on the road may not change much but being able to dismiss my car into a garage should reduce parking needs and behavior (it helps that all the smart car designs are small). In fantasy autopia the garage would be solely for self-driving cars and they could self-valet into a much more dense arrangement. Eventually a hivemind will form but I should be old and gone by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Ultimately I think there will be a mix of usage depending on regional/geographical/household factors. For example, at the end of autopia transition, future me who never moves would have a single car for me and my wife because our commutes are short and close enough to each other that we would simply commute together and then send the car home because maybe we don't want other people touching it. If we want to go to the Big City maybe we use a train/ferry combo coupled with Uberfleet in the city itself. Maybe some people walk/bike to the train/bus and then fleet or cloud the last mile or so. The idea would be that you whittle away at the annoyances that come with bus/train/taxi until people rarely think "gently caress it I'll just take my car". Ideally this would create more pressure on homebuyers to buy closer to hubs, but I think guessing at secondary effects is dangerous on something so far out.

On parking in cities/land use, while I admit ignorance on permitting & design for multi-story garages, ideally you'd be able to shove more cars into less space and there may be considerations in garages that are made for human needs that wouldn't be present if the only people visiting subfloor 12 are maintenance/troubleshooters and morlocks.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Fleet services can (conceivably) come from a larger regional maintenance pool so funding upkeep may be easier, while bus drivers are more specialized. Purchasing in my experience is a whole other budget. Driver shortage could also be a result of lack of qualified people which can tie to low pay but depending on market conditions a regional might not be able to compete for drivers.

Also my local bus drivers are terrible drivers so anything to keep them away from the wheel is a win. They can even keep their job managing the bus/passengers while it's rolling, it'd probably keep the buses on time if they were helping people use the bus.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 17, 2016

• Locked thread