Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Traffic is a 'critical mass' problem. If you can redirect only 6% of 'problem drivers' down side streets you can completely alleviate LA rush hour traffic at its worst. Theoretically this can already be achieved via apps like Waze and Google Maps but people that can use those apps dont overlap a lot with that 6%. Self-driving cars and buses would go a long way to alleviate traffic even if they make up only a percent of vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

via posted:

I think autonomous vehicles (especially for-hire ones like Uber, which add wasted miles and idling) have the potential to actually worsen traffic here in Los Angeles. If the cost of a car trip goes down, and they don't have to drive the thing personally, people are apt to suffer even longer transit times for the privilege of avoiding public transport. They promise they'll all be synced up perfectly like Minority Report, but I think it'll be the better part of a hundred years before enough cars are autonomous to accomplish that.

Depends on how much price is the limiting factor. I suspect travel time is the primary concern for virtually everyone.

I'm still trying to find the paper I got the 6% number from on arxiv, this wiki article may be of interest: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-phase_traffic_theory

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

You think the people who don't use... GPS with traffic are going to be the early adopters on Herbie?

Nah, I wasn't clear on that. My point was that traffic flow, and jams, are well understood mathematically, and an autonomous network with better knowledge of the conditions (where other buses are, traffic density, events, etc) could do a much better job of avoiding and preventing jams than human drivers.

• Locked thread