Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Aw man, I thought this thread was going to be about retrofitting the suburbs, which is actually a pretty interesting topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

donoteat posted:

I was also hoping for this -- D&D has plenty of places to get angry, but none to be ANGRY ABOUT CITIES.

It usually devolves into pointless debates using anecdotal evidence about whether city living or suburban living is better.

Personally I think it's a fascinating topic. I tend to think that the type of environments we inhabit and the places we create have significant sociological impacts on us. There are reasons why urban areas tend to be liberal and suburban areas tend to be more conservative and I do think the physical make up of the built environment makes up a non-trivial amount of those reasons.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

I have a question for you: will we (North America) ever come around on the Missing Middle argument? Or is it too late and suburban sprawl is here to stay?

This shot is from Back to the Future which was filmed in 1985.

30 years later, aside from some minor cosmetic changes and some trees, literally nothing about the built environment in that shot has changed.

So yes, suburban sprawl is here to stay. The problem is, it doesn't go away, it doesn't pay for itself, and it will be enormously expensive to maintain. So, how does it get fixed? That's a big thorny question.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Check out Jim Kunstler for a pretty entertaining TED talk where he lays out how he feels about the type of non-spaces we've been making in the suburbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ZeXnmDZMQ

sitchensis fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 2, 2016

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Odobenidae posted:

Here's an old thread about Cities and Suburbs. Most of the images are lost to time but the rest still stands on its own.

drat, I remember making that post a long time ago. Since then I actually got a masters in the subject and now I work in the field. Who'da thought.

• Locked thread