Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Here's an old thread about Cities and Suburbs. Most of the images are lost to time but the rest still stands on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Hate suburbs? Want to throw up? Look up Phoenix, Arizona on google maps.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

ryonguy posted:

Want to laugh? Check out the East Valley in the same area where between '00 and '07 idiots built up massive shopping centers on the intersections of the 1-mile grids in anticipation of the residential neighborhoods that were about to be built. I worked for a butcher shop driving delivery to little independent restaurants and nothing was more hilarious/sad than delivering to a sports bar in the middle of four square miles of nothing. Let's just say not too many of them survived.

For my own zoning nightmare, I bought a plot of property I eventually want to build a house on. I wanted to go with a small house, as I enjoyed living in a Mother-in-law house that had to have been less than 700 sq ft, and I want to keep costs down. Guess whose town has 1300 sq ft minimum housing sizes? Well, it must be for "No houses too small to inhabit" or some other sensible reason right?

Guess whose town also has no building codes? Nope, the square footage requirement is literally the only housing restriction. The city engineer told me, verbatim, "You can build a mud hut as long as it's thirteen hundred square feet." Imagine an HOA run by Three Olives for the full effect of how housing works around here.

Also, that McMansionHell blog is loving hilarious and seriously pro-read.

drat. I just found https://earthengine.google.com/timelapse/, it's really cool for visualizing growth. Seeing the few farms in the area being paved over before your very eyes sure is something. It's like watching a hungry amoeba under a microscope.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 9, 2016

• Locked thread