Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

bussing is good for schools but welp

Bussing is kind of like giving up on the problem. It means acknowledging that there's just a lot of lovely students, and the hope is that if you spread them out enough, you can greatly limit the impact they have on education.

People in good neighborhoods are right to viciously oppose bussing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

Bussing does not mean moving "lovely" students unless you think all minority students are lovely.

Law of averages says the average minority student from a bad neighborhood will be behind the rest of the class and bring a number of social issues into the wealthier school.

If bussing revolved around taking the top 10% of students out of poorly performing schools and busing them to better schools, I think a lot of people would be behind that, except for leftists who would scream about "Concentrating poverty and making bad schools worse REEEEEE!" like they bitterly complain about charter schools doing.

Badger of Basra posted:

Although I don't like to make this argument since it focuses on benefits to white people, it's the only one SCOTUS allows: white students also benefit from having classmates from a range of racial/ethnic backgrounds.

Oh what a benefit!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

If you did that you would literally be concentrating poverty and making bad schools worse though????

If the real goal of the program is to foster school diversity, what's wrong with just grabbing the talented tenth out of underperforming schools and busing them to the suburbs?

As I mentioned earlier, the real goal is to spread out poverty thinly enough that nobody notices with a bonus of using minorities as a political statement and show of force for progressive causes.

• Locked thread