Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Rekinom posted:

Well, even despite the convo on urban design and zoning... school quality is still the elephant in the room that people ignore.

Sure there are private schools in city cores, but now that means paying a premium to educate your kids on top of a premium to live downtown. Far easier/cheaper to just suck it up and commute absurdly long distances.

I was going to come in this thread and post about this as well.

I live in a city in a house and I can't wait to get out of here to a suburb with a decent school district because my child is getting near Kindergarten age. Right now she goes to a private pre-school which isn't even in the city we live in. It isn't expensive, but the drive is a pain in the rear end not just because of the route but because of arranging the transport with our jobs.

I think the problems with low income/dense/inner city schools are baked in at this point because it takes a lot more money and resources to make those schools decent compared to their suburban counterparts- and either people can't afford that cost or no one will vote to pay for it.

The secondary reason I want out is that our area isn't the safest and dumb poo poo people might take for granted I have to reconsider. Like: where am I going to teach my kid where to ride a bike? Our house is by a couple of main thoroughfares and even though our street is short: assholes zoom down it at 45 mph. Plus all the driveways have huge blindspots. Walking around the block isn't even something we can really do without feeling uneasy because of the blight in this neighborhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

boner touched upon something that I think dovetails into the zoning arguments: I personally believe that metropolitan areas should be made more monocentric. This is a big reason why cars are relied upon so much and why mass transit kind of sucks.

It's probably impossible because (edit: money.. and) everyone suburb on the face of the earth can't loving wait to give a sweet 20 year tax abatement so Office Corp can put a stupid 'campus' in their town.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 15, 2016

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Family Values posted:

As someone that commutes by bike almost exclusively I'm of the opposite opinion: metro areas should be even more multi-centric. I don't want to have to drive or find some other means of commuting downtown. Everyone should be able to live close enough to their employer to walk or bike.

I see where you are coming from on your preference on mode of transit: but the last sentence just isn't possible.

You don't really get walkable or bikeable areas with how a lot of the polycentric metro areas are coming into play: they're designed with automobiles in mind as the primary form of transit: because that's how most people will have to get to their jobs.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Badger of Basra posted:

This image is crazy to me because it looks so much like the brand new suburbs I know from growing up in Texas.

I am not certain your brand new suburb had streets as straight as that, as narrow of a lot, and a detached (if any) garage.

That picture is very typical of a lot of how grid-based and narrow the lots were for inner-ring suburbs.

Sure, it looks a lot like what you see today but there are huge differences.

• Locked thread