Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

boner confessor posted:

i can verify myself, badger of basra, and stichensis as bona fide urban planning thing knowers to field any questions about how it works

please though these threads always become dumb slapfights about how living in cities/suburbs is good/bad and you're cool/stupid for living there/not living there so please none of that idiocy thanks

I have a question for you: will we (North America) ever come around on the Missing Middle argument? Or is it too late and suburban sprawl is here to stay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Its more about the type of housing we build and density as far as I can tell? Its a huge part of the burbs since, as you pointed out, it relies heavily on owning a vehicle.

Can we add whats missing to existing areas or is that something that has to be done from the start?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

So things can change but its going to be expensive and requires a good chunk of the population to support the moves? And so long as developers make the most money from the bad kind of suburban sprawl this isnt likely to happen I guess.

OK this might be further from your specialization but how do suburbs handle upgrades to public transit. Stuff like high speed rail seem like super important things we should be working towards but they clash with how things currently operate. Are there ways for the two to work together?

• Locked thread