Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
This is actually in interesting discussion, but I feel like we're completely glossing over the whole aspect of kids. While that may not be a concern of your average single early 20's D&D poster, the simple fact is, in America, most people with the money to buy a house (aka the target of developers) are aged 30-50 with kids, so naturally trends are going to follow that group. Anyway, from firsthand experience, I can say I prefer to live in the city because there's more to do. At least, I did when I was younger. But now I've got 2 kids. Most schools in the city suck. The parks in urban areas are nice green spaces, but there needs to be kid poo poo around so the little bastards can wear themselves out instead of bothering the poo poo out of me at home and destroying the house.

Also, a kid somehow manages to turn everything in sight into a deadly weapon. In a suburban house with a lot of space, it's less likely they'll get bored and build a set of stairs so that they can take a leap and plummet to their death from the 5th floor of your mid-rise urban condo. Or run out into a 4-lane one way street and get hit by a massive truck. Yes, these things can and do happen in suburbia, but it's easier to protect against. So, I'm not saying cities need to change from catering to hipsters, yuppies, and DINKs, but there's a reason why suburbs will never die. Most urban cores are basically expensive death traps that are actively hostile in almost every conceivable way to having young people there.

Having said all that, I've lived for years in Japan and they manage to have a good mix of urbanization and family-centric areas. As discussed before, zoning has a lot to do with it. But then again, the Japanese are generally more group-conscientious about that sort of thing. Americans have a bad habit of "gently caress you got mine", where families look out for themselves and gently caress over young single people, and vice versa. I don't think we'll ever have a decent solution in this country.

Also the white flight thing can be a red herring. I'm black, and I (plus literally every black person I know that has come into money) will pack up and move the hell away, too. I don't think it's nearly as much of a factor as it was 50 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Well, even despite the convo on urban design and zoning... school quality is still the elephant in the room that people ignore.

Sure there are private schools in city cores, but now that means paying a premium to educate your kids on top of a premium to live downtown. Far easier/cheaper to just suck it up and commute absurdly long distances.

• Locked thread