Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

i like the suburbs. whats wrong with the suburbs

all of socal is suburbs though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

our town hall is between a gamestop and a nestle toll house cookie store

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

boner confessor posted:

socal has transcended suburbs to become what is called a polycentric metropolis. los angeles is actually the densest metropolis in america, since it's more penned in by geography - la is half the size of the ginormous nyc metro but the far flung suburbs of nyc mean that la actually has 2/3 the population on 1/2 the land. socal operates a lot like a network of suburbs, in that there's no real center of the la metro but a bunch of competing centers and people move between them, rather than the nyc example where you have manhattan, then the boroughs, then the suburbs in a descending hub hierarchy

most of america's major 20th century cities are polycentric - dallas, houston, atlanta, etc. denver is a weird exception because there's not much outside of denver to compete with denver

Maybe it's just that my perception is screwed. I've lived in orange county most my life, which is just one big suburb. There's no "city core" to speak of.

I moved out to the Inland Empire about 5 years ago and maybe that whole region could be considered a suburb of LA or OC. Something like 75% of the residents of the IE drive to LA or OC for work every day, myself included.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hey i bought my car from the dealer on #2

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

The Urban Land Institute came out with an interesting report about the state of the suburbs.

Commentary here: http://cityobservatory.org/are-the-burbs-really-back/

Original report here: http://uli.org/wp-content/uploads/ULI-Documents/Housing-in-the-Evolving-American-Suburb.pdf

The headline finding going around a lot of places is that Suburbs Are Back but if you read the commentary piece about it's a little different.

There's also a fun little map where you can see how ULI classified areas of your city - they don't follow the classic approach where everything in an MSA outside the central city is generic "suburb."

http://rclco.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=6e5e27a780ff4b9fb8a50f3561a1c213

e: also Trump is bringing back urban renewal y'all :sun:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/07/upshot/why-trumps-use-of-the-words-urban-renewal-is-scary-for-cities.html?_r=0

Hell yeah Established High-End Suburb Own Zone.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

StabbinHobo posted:

surprised we made it near the end of page 2 to page 3 without anything on self-driving cars yet

imho they will "save" the suburbs. "two car families" will become one car families. baby boomers will stay in their homes longer (losing the ability to drive is a big inflection point for "move to a home or in with kids").

its still dumb as gently caress to heat/cool, maintain, and travel to and from them, but if its one car servicing 20 people at <50g of CO2/km vs the modern one car serving 1.5 people at 100 - 250g...

autonomous driving will change car ownership, but it does nothing to reduce the amount of cars on the road. you still have 2 people driving to work or running errands and burning the same amount of fuel to do it, just in someone else's car (or your own while you jack off behind the wheel).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

People don't seem to be able to grasp that removing the driver from a vehicle does not fundamentally change how transit works.

Removing the driver from a car doesn't make less people take cars.
Removing the driver from a bus doesn't change how the bus operates.

Having a world with autonomous vehicles means that car ownership may go down, parking needs may change and MAYBE you can squeeze cars in tighter on the roads to alleviate congestion a bit. It's still the same amount of people in cars and busses, burning the same amount of fuel. That doesn't change.

• Locked thread