Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

"Oh, you liked Aliens? gently caress you! :buddy:"

- opening of Alien 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

bitterandtwisted posted:

- opening of Alien 3

i understand that the film was going for a feeling of loss and dread but you coulda done that by like, doing another time skip with ripley being the only one not rescued instead of making GBS threads all over the end of the previous movie and basically rendering it pointless

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
all my friends really hated Prometheus, but I loved it. I've probably watched it as many times as the original Alien at this point

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
You can always pretend the third movie doesn't exist and just pretend newt hicks and ripley flew to a space castle and lived happily ever after.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

try the new taco place posted:

all my friends really hated Prometheus, but I loved it. I've probably watched it as many times as the original Alien at this point

You and me can be friends now since I also think Prometheus rules hard.

The only parts that bug me are the two really loving stupid scientists in the cave

and the very end was kind lame and felt like Scott was like "poo poo, gotta connect this to Alien somehow....uhhhhhhhh here!"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Millburn and Fifield were good

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Velthice posted:

why do aliens drool everywhere? aren't they supposed to be genetically perfect killing machines? should I drool everywhere too?

Like bees, it's the secreted residue that they use to build their hives. Hicks aknowledges it in Aliens (literally; "Looks like some kind of secreted residue...") when they descend into the hive.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lol

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

bitterandtwisted posted:

- opening of Alien 3

Good. Aliens is extremely overrated

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

bitterandtwisted posted:

- opening of Alien 3

Good. Aliens is the greatest movie ever, but you can't top that, and a family drama with Xenomorphs just doesn't sound right to me.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

OldTennisCourt posted:

i understand that the film was going for a feeling of loss and dread but you coulda done that by like, doing another time skip with ripley being the only one not rescued instead of making GBS threads all over the end of the previous movie and basically rendering it pointless

I mean, Aliens still told a great story and was great. Aliens 3 making GBS threads all over it doesn't invalidate what it was.

Killing off two characters is not how you make a movie pointless, the events of Aliens still happened and are good. Retconning the whole movie in a later movie or related media is how you make a movie pointless.

Ask me about my Metroid fan game that recons Metroid: Other M by establishing that it's just a dream sequence.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I do love Neill Blomkamp, but his movie is gonna be awful even if it isn't.

I'd rather have nothing but weird rear end Prometheus' than a fan film about Hicks and Newt.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So like can someone explain something: that alien at the end of Prometheus, was that the very first Alien, like some random mutation that looked like one or what?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

So like can someone explain something: that alien at the end of Prometheus, was that the very first Alien, like some random mutation that looked like one or what?

It's just this thing. It's not tied plot-wise to Alien.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

OldTennisCourt posted:

I still think the Alien already exists, but the space jockies are using Alien dna to make neato weapons like black goo.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

CelticPredator posted:

I'd rather have nothing but weird rear end Prometheus' than a fan film about Hicks and Newt.

I know this is the poo poo post forum and not the serious discussion forum but I kind of feel the same way? At this point I truly believe that killing off Newt and Hicks was necessary to tell a good story.

I don't doubt that Neill will try hard (I thought District 9 was amazing) but it's just gonna be Hicks, Ripley and Newt vs one or more aliens which doesn't really do anything new or take any risks. (Unless he kills one or more of them off in the movie. In which case lol A+ what a monumental gently caress you.) It's an extension of Aliens at that point.

Ask me about my Legend of Zelda fan game where Link dies and Princess Ruto saves Hyrule instead by rear end dropping everything.* (Throwing Ruto at enemies does more damage than the Master Sword.)

*This game would suck. Sometimes trying something new and different and taking a risk is a bad idea.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So the big white alien guys made humans and also made the Aliens and they go around making new aliens all the time but they hate humans and wanted to kill them but all them got killed by the aliens and then then the other movies happened?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

So the big white alien guys made humans and also made the Aliens and they go around making new aliens all the time but they hate humans and wanted to kill them but all them got killed by the aliens and then then the other movies happened?

Go with whatever option makes the most sense to you because it's not known.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

What happened is Alien and Aliens was hugely popular and future movies in the franchise did pretty well despite not being as good so greedy companies wanted to cash in but didn't have the balls to directly connect it to the franchise so they just did a bunch of coy cheeky wink wink nudge nudge poo poo. It doesn't mean anything to anything.

It's like a fan fic at best?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Prometheus is better than a fan fic. It does something completely different and isn't a rehash of the other films in the series.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jenner posted:

What happened is Alien and Aliens was hugely popular and future movies in the franchise did pretty well despite not being as good so greedy companies wanted to cash in but didn't have the balls to directly connect it to the franchise so they just did a bunch of coy cheeky wink wink nudge nudge poo poo. It doesn't mean anything to anything.

no

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jenner posted:

It's like a fan fic at best?

swing and a miss, bud

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Prometheus is better than a fan fic. It does something completely different and isn't a rehash of the other films in the series.

Some fan fics do that though [do something different] but I'll admit they are a rare breed.

I'm gonna rewatch Prometheus this Saturday and give it an honest chance.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

its cool if you still dont like it,.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
/\/\

I know. But I still want to give it a fair chance.

Is Alien Resurrection the one with all the cloned Ripley abominations? Because those hosed up messes were stupid awesome body horror and seeing them (and them begging for death) and Ripley just wasting them is not only the only part of the movie I really remember but also the best part.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
When I was a kid I always loved the part where they are climbing the ladder and the one guy unhooks himself from the paralyzed guy and sacrifices himself.

The basketball scene, the clones, ron perlman, and brad dourif were good parts as well.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Its amazing how quickly his movies went to absolute poo poo after D9.

His Alien movie is going to be a reskinned version of his other poo poo. matt damonRipley saves a colony of space browns from poverty aliens and leads them on to revolt against jodie fosters Halo weylandyutani HQ.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Blomkamp needs to be allowed to make middle-budget movies with minimal studio interference, so at least they can be weird and fail on their own terms, which would make them better.

edit i sorta liked prometheus but it felt like they wanted to remake alien without remaking alien. The abortion scene was great but it didn't have the cool punky soul that the first film had.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Blomkamp needs to be allowed to make middle-budget movies with minimal studio interference, so at least they can be weird and fail on their own terms, which would make them better.

That's exactly what Chappie was though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

owned

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love it too.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

When I was a kid I always loved the part where they are climbing the ladder and the one guy unhooks himself from the paralyzed guy and sacrifices himself.

The basketball scene, the clones, ron perlman, and brad dourif were good parts as well.

Oh yeah! The basketball scene! So much more awesome when you learn Sigourney Weaver made that shot blind on the first take and that the reactions are the crew's natural reactions to that badassery. She's so cool.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Its amazing how quickly his movies went to absolute poo poo after D9.

It really is curious because D9 was real good but everything else of his has been kinda meh and I'm legit wondering what's going on.

I think it's gonna go down like this:
They arrive on a colony and settle in but it's rough because they're new and the colonists don't like them or trust them. Newt has a hard time fitting in at school and kids think she's weird. Hicks can't find a job and Ripley has to take care of everything. The Alien Queen gets loose and commences with the murder. People blame the outsiders (specifically Hicks) for the brutal killings and an attempt at Frontier Justice is made which Ripley has to stop. Mad people! Angry voices! Loud shouting! Newt is sad and screams for them to stop fighting and tells them it's an Alien. Ripley and Hicks are both, "Oh poo poo no" but they know it's true. The community doesn't believe them and wants the lot of them spaced. These guys are all assholes.

In my version of the movie Ripley does just say "Fine, gently caress ya'll" and leaves in the ship with Newt and Hicks and we are told that the entire colony was slaughtered and is now all aliens.

In reality Ripley would never give WY the chance to get their hands on the alien they want so bad because she is smart, petty, and spiteful. So they give the community Newt as collateral, gear up, and tell them they'll make the murders stop or leave in X time. Deaths and hunting, ideally Hicks is killed leading to a show down where Ripley kills all the aliens in a roaring rampage of revenge. Next scene is the community looking on the destruction and being very much, "Let's not gently caress with her." They give her Newt and leave her in peace. The end.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I love it too.

:respek:

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

I remember Danny Glover's real big silver gun with a laser sight

That was what guns look like in the future of 1997.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It was just a deagle with a laser on it

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

That's exactly what Chappie was though.

Oh poo poo I forgot about Chappie. Chappie was good and people who say it's just Short Circuit are idiots who just don't get it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

:agreed:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
I watched Prometheus again today. This time I watched it the whole way through.

The CGI was probably good at the time but it looks kinda wonky now.

Holy poo poo almost everyone on this mission is an enormous rear end in a top hat and is virtually incapable of making good decisions. (Seriously dude, you are a highly educated, expert biologist investigating a foreign organism in an unknown environment why do you remove your helmet?) I found myself wanting them to die and cheering their largely self-inflicted deaths because they were just such huge unlikable jerks and were too incompetent to permit to live.

The abortion scene still loving rules.

The guy that goes crazy was, in fact, an android (called it) and he does spend some scenes gazing wistfully and looking thoughtful and conflicted so I guess his inevitable villainness didn't exactly come out of nowhere. He's a pretty good actor actually and if DC ever releases a The Authority movie they should cast him as Apollo.

Someone mentioned the place was too sterile and clean (I'm too lazy to find your post and quote you) I agree. And it isn't like the alien didn't have plenty of time to gross the place up.

On its own merits, disconnected from the Aliens franchise, I'm conflicted. The cast of idiots was really obnoxious and really influenced my enjoyment of the movie. I understand most, if not all, of these people are going to die but you don't have to make every last one of them deserve it. This is some Hayes Code poo poo.

I can't say I liked it. It wasn't particularly good or enjoyable. Sorry Prometheus likers, I tried.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Aliens is my second favorite movie of all time behind Blade Runner and if I had to pick only one movie to be able to watch for the rest of my life it would probably be Aliens. It's a good movie that has aged like wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My only problem with that post is you not seeming to know who Michael Fassbender is.

• Locked thread