Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

CelticPredator posted:

My only problem with that post is you not seeming to know who Michael Fassbender is.

Is that the dude I want to play Apollo? He loving rules. I'm gonna check his IMDB and watch more movies with him in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He's in like some of the biggest movies out there. He was the star of 3 xmen movies. He's everywhere.

Schrecken
May 21, 2016

Child of Woe
I wish they would have used more of the concept designs for the creatures in Prometheus than what ended up in the final film. I liked the unused designs for the mutated Fifield much better, and some concepts for the engineer-burster were translucent and albino giving it a sort of ethereal look.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jenner posted:

I watched Prometheus again today. This time I watched it the whole way through.

The CGI was probably good at the time but it looks kinda wonky now.

Holy poo poo almost everyone on this mission is an enormous rear end in a top hat and is virtually incapable of making good decisions.

Now rewatch Alien and tell me who isn't an enormous rear end in a top hat or capable of making "good" decisions.

quote:

On its own merits, disconnected from the Aliens franchise, I'm conflicted.

There's your problem right there.

It's not the Aliens franchise. It's the Alien franchise. Don't forget what movie came first and who's the one who's more invested in this story (Cameron could give a gently caress about your precious Aliens and rewrote the crux of the story to be a Starship Troopers adaptation).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aliens loving owns

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

ruddiger posted:

Now rewatch Alien and tell me who isn't an enormous rear end in a top hat or capable of making "good" decisions.

I watched Alien last week because it's awesome and while the entire crew does just makes awful decision after awful decision and Ripley is the only competent person on board none of them came off as assholes to me. They all seemed very friendly and like they had a tight bond. The cafeteria scene really establishes that they all like each other and mostly get along well with one another. They all interact with each other positively. They were very much like a family.

So um, sorry you thought they were all jerks. My experience was different.

quote:

It's not the Aliens franchise. It's the Alien franchise. Don't forget what movie came first and who's the one who's more invested in this story (Cameron could give a gently caress about your precious Aliens and rewrote the crux of the story to be a Starship Troopers adaptation).

Firstly, your post has a voice that suggests to me you are upset. There is no need to be upset. Chill out.

Secondly, I'm not sure what the preferred name of the franchise is but considering Alien is the first movie of the lot it's probably the Alien Franchise like you say since most franchises are named after the first in the series. (But who subjectively cares more about the series has nothing to do with what this franchise is actually called.)

I call it the Aliens Franchise, not to imply anything about the movie in the series called Aliens, but because the franchise as a whole features more than one Alien per movie at times.

But the Alien Franchise is probably the right terminology so I'll use that from now on (except when my phone auto corrects it and I don't catch it.)

CelticPredator posted:

Aliens loving owns

You still have good opinions.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Lance Henriksen showing up in every horror movie ever after Alien is my favorite thing

Sometimes I rent a random crappy B-horror movie on iTunes and he just suddenly shows up out of loving nowhere for a paycheck and it owns

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Aliens good, prometheus bad

Water wet

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I just watched Alien and Aliens back to back and its insane how much uglier 's is

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Also I couldn't finish it because of how unfavorably it compared to the first movie. *readies flame shield*

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jenner posted:

I watched Alien last week because it's awesome and while the entire crew does just makes awful decision after awful decision and Ripley is the only competent person on board none of them came off as assholes to me. They all seemed very friendly and like they had a tight bond. The cafeteria scene really establishes that they all like each other and mostly get along well with one another. They all interact with each other positively. They were very much like a family.

Sounds like you're projecting. Ripley's shown right off the bat to be cold and combative to her crew mates. She's at odds with Brett and Parker (there's a pretty famous story that keeps getting repeated in the Alien thread about how Ridley Scott specifically told Yaphet Kotto to be hostile towards Weaver on set to build tension between the two), she's quick to leave Kane to die outside (is that how you treat family?), she gets smacked by Lambert. Idle chit chat at the lunch table doesn't negate any of that (and if anything, that dinner scene should not be seen as the norm as the only reason they're so jovial in that scene is that Kane had returned to them).

quote:

There is no need to be upset. Chill out.

Haha, all I posted was details from the movie. You're definitely projecting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

net cafe scandal posted:

Also I couldn't finish it because of how unfavorably it compared to the first movie. *readies flame shield*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUThpvSZSGk&t=103s

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean, yeah, Alien is better in a lot of ways, but Aliens stands on it's own quite well which is why it's the perfect sequel. It's different enough to be worth while.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

ruddiger posted:

Sounds like you're projecting.

:shrug: Maybe. I think our experiences were just different.

quote:

Ripley's shown right off the bat to be cold and combative to her crew mates.

To me Ripley comes off as a very "by the books" type of person who really busts everyone's balls because she cares about protocol.

quote:

She's at odds with Brett and Parker (there's a pretty famous story that keeps getting repeated in the Alien thread about how Ridley Scott specifically told Yaphet Kotto to be hostile towards Weaver on set to build tension between the two)

To me most of their conflict seems to stem from their disregard for the rules and regulations and Ripley's adherence to them. They think she hates fun and has a big stick up her rear end and there's tension but they don't seem to hate her.

quote:

She's quick to leave Kane to die outside (is that how you treat family?)

You don't know my family.

But seriously, to me she didn't seem to relish that decision or make it joyously. She was just following protocol and seemed to regret it and anguish over her choice.

quote:

She gets smacked by Lambert.

Sucks and was uncalled for. Pretty sure slapping someone because they did not follow your orders to ignore protocol is not the right behavior for a superior towards their subordinate. Won't deny he's a jerk rear end in a top hat.

quote:

Idle chit chat at the lunch table doesn't negate any of that (and if anything, that dinner scene should not be seen as the norm as the only reason they're so jovial in that scene is that Kane had returned to them).

To me, the idle chit chat and comradery in the cafeteria scene did not seem strained or forced. They looked natural and comfortable, like eating together like this was a regular thing they did that was the norm.

To me, it just seemed like they had their beefs and grievances but ultimately they were a team that cared about each other and got along.

You had your entirely subjective experience, I had mine.

quote:

Haha, all I posted was details from the movie. You're definitely projecting.

You didn't post any details about the movie in response to me until this post. Your original response to me was pretty much, "You wanna see idiot assholes? Rewatch the first movie!"

Again, I had a different experience than you. If I'm projecting, you're projecting. :shrug:

net cafe scandal posted:

I just watched Alien and Aliens back to back and its insane how much uglier 's is

net cafe scandal posted:

If you wanna get roasted for having a "bad opinion" Cinema Discussio is one forum up. This is the chill forum for chill people. Some people prefer Alien to Aliens and it's okay. I like personally like them both about the same.

But I'm interested in how you are comparing Aliens to Alien. I know this is the not exactly the forum for Serious Discussion but would you mind elaborating and detailing on that a bit? I'm curious.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 4, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

serious discussion is fine. Talking about cinematography is awesome and very chill.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

:iia:

Alien is super atmospheric. Very horror, very tense, properly unnerving and creepy. Aliens is not a horror movie, it's an action flick with a cast of great characters. Both stand up really well on their own and compliment each other. Aliens is just a progression of Alien that ramps it up.

CelticPredator posted:

serious discussion is fine. Talking about cinematography is awesome and very chill.

That's real good and we are in agreement again.

I'm just trying to not do that thing I do sometimes (post long screeds.)

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Alien is a loving great horror movie Aliens is a loving great action movie

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

banned from Starbucks posted:

Only if it turns out a predator killed bruce waynes parents.

The Waynes both shoot the mugger dead, making themselves targets.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Jenner posted:

If you wanna get roasted for having a "bad opinion" Cinema Discussio is one forum up. This is the chill forum for chill people. Some people prefer Alien to Aliens and it's okay. I like personally like them both about the same.

But I'm interested in how you are comparing Aliens to Alien. I know this is the not exactly the forum for Serious Discussion but would you mind elaborating and detailing on that a bit? I'm curious.

No prob. Id have to actually finish it to ggive it a fair writeup but I did watch it before when I was 10. ANyway I described the movie to my GF who I watched Alien with the night before and both were totally wowed by as "Ripley revisits the location and overall scenario of the first film but with a ridiculous action movie ensemble as backup" which ended up being true, but not nearly as interesting as I remembered it being. I guess the common complaint that people have with Aliens is that it reduces the aliens from the perfect malicious organism that Ash describes in the first movie to like action movie zombies which I definitely think is true. One of the really jarring moments was when Ripley runs over one of the xenos in her big car and it splatters alien guts and blood all over the wheel. It made me think of the scene in Alien where they make a small incision in the facehugger's leg and there's like a two minute scene of the tiny squirt of acid nearly burning through every level of the ship as everyone panics and basically realizes how hostile and resilient and dangerous the species is. So to just run a xenomorph over with a car and have a little line about the wheel being hosed up seemed really lame to me.

Its also, like I said, so much shittier looking, but thats just James Cameron being a much worse director I think. Theres something hard to explain but just visually speaking Cameron's view of the future seems way less creative and believable than Scott's. Stuff like the suits of the future having popped collars and business cards being transparent and drinking cups being weird and flat really felt uninspired compared to what felt like the entire first half hour of Alien being this view of the future rife with amazing things (cryosleep, space travel, etc) but also kind of lovely and worn down and unfriendly in a way that you could totally see a group of working class commercial space truckers would be used to. Aliens is just like, dumber to me, and not in a way that felt particularly fun. I dont think I explained this last bit very well but yeah, I wasn't into it at all, and I wasn't really charmed by the colonial marine characters either.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ruddiger posted:

Jonesy, the second android.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I just want to say rip Xeno-dog, you were too beautiful for this world:

-Sir, alien-dog still looks like regular dog in alien-suit, we can't make him not run like a dog, he's a dog.
-Just add more flies and poo poo to the shot goddamnit!

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

Jenner posted:

I watched Prometheus again today. This time I watched it the whole way through.

The CGI was probably good at the time but it looks kinda wonky now.

Holy poo poo almost everyone on this mission is an enormous rear end in a top hat and is virtually incapable of making good decisions. (Seriously dude, you are a highly educated, expert biologist investigating a foreign organism in an unknown environment why do you remove your helmet?) I found myself wanting them to die and cheering their largely self-inflicted deaths because they were just such huge unlikable jerks and were too incompetent to permit to live.

The abortion scene still loving rules.

The guy that goes crazy was, in fact, an android (called it) and he does spend some scenes gazing wistfully and looking thoughtful and conflicted so I guess his inevitable villainness didn't exactly come out of nowhere. He's a pretty good actor actually and if DC ever releases a The Authority movie they should cast him as Apollo.

Someone mentioned the place was too sterile and clean (I'm too lazy to find your post and quote you) I agree. And it isn't like the alien didn't have plenty of time to gross the place up.

On its own merits, disconnected from the Aliens franchise, I'm conflicted. The cast of idiots was really obnoxious and really influenced my enjoyment of the movie. I understand most, if not all, of these people are going to die but you don't have to make every last one of them deserve it. This is some Hayes Code poo poo.

I can't say I liked it. It wasn't particularly good or enjoyable. Sorry Prometheus likers, I tried.

This is one of the things about the characters that bothered me, about them being assholes. Like the geologist Fifield he doesn't even examine one rock in the film, they're on a trillion dollar mission and they're loving, taking their helmets off and smoking pot in their resperators ? gently caress off.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

That was what made me not like Prometheus the most. Every sci fi has a certain probability factor to it and Prometheus really needed more grounding in how scientists work. Of course there should also be some goofing around and making mistakes which makes the crew seem more human but it won't work if that's the only thing that's used. You end up with this one-dimensional line-up of dumb assholes. It almost feels like a higher-up decision where they decided that showing a functioning crew would have been boring to the audience so they skipped straight to the 'fun' parts thinking that just giving these guys scientific titles is enough exposition. Making this poo poo more believable would have paid dividends like it did in Alien.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Wait a second Kenny Powers is actually in the next alien movie?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I liked Prometheus a lot but I only watched it the one time, I'd probably really not like it if I saw it again. Alien and Aliens are terrifying and awesome (in that order). No strong feelings on the rest of the series!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I like that the scientists are stupid dumb assholes in a movie all about how humans are stupid dumb assholes

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

I'll never understand people who think Prometheus is good. It's utterly baffling to me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

I like that the scientists are stupid dumb assholes in a movie all about how humans are stupid dumb assholes

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

spank my snatch posted:

I'll never understand people who think Prometheus is good. It's utterly baffling to me.

Lol "how can people like things I don't?!?!?!"

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It's a fair question. If things were good I would like them.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

GonSmithe posted:

Like, seriously. There are dumb motherfuckers in positions of prominence and authority making terrible decisions literally all over the world, it cracks me up when nerds freak out and whine about people in a film doing dumb, irrational stuff like it's unrealistic and impossible to conceive of. Living life as a min-maxing supersperge doing everything rationally and logically and taking the sensible/optimal course of action at all times is not normal.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Official rankings:
1. Alien
2. Aliens
3. Predator
4. Prometheus
5. Predator 2
6. Alien 3
7. Predators
8. Alien vs Predator
9. Alien vs Predator: Requiem
10. Alien Resurrection

Joss Whedon can suck my spiked, mucous covered dong.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Prometheus is the best sci fi movie of the 21st century so far, so I'm very excited to see Covenant.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

alien & aliens are good

everything else has been a piece of poo poo

agreed.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Alien and The Thing are the two best sci-fi horror films made and I keep flip-flopping on which one is better.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Alien and The Thing are the two best sci-fi horror films made and I keep flip-flopping on which one is better.

:yossame:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Any fan of Alien really should watch Dark Star if they haven't done so already.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Any fan of Alien really should watch Dark Star if they haven't done so already.

Written by Dan O'Bannon AND John Carpenter, to pull the Alien/Thing love fest a little closer.

I appreciate that Prometheus moves Alien well into Thing territory, which makes sense considering the O'Bannon connection, and moves the story away from the James Cameron fan fiction lore, which I always felt dumbed down the story. Alien is very much a movie about coping with a violation (rape/murder/etc.), while Aliens turns it into a rape/revenge fantasy ala Ms. 45 or Death Wish (which is awesome, but exploitative regardless).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I don't have a problem with people doing dumb things in movies if that's their purpose in the plot but Prometheus doesn't really acknowledge the actions of the crew and basically pretends that what they did was ok and the audience should feel something because of...reasons. It all really comes down to creating a believable group of people and imo Prometheus failed to do that, they were all there only to do some one dumb thing and die to the monster. The only person that was properly developed was Shaw and the rest were only there to evoke a single emotion (romantic partner guy, tough guy, nerd guy etc.) and die instead of being real people (even if dumb people) which was a big step back in comparison to Alien.

• Locked thread