Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Prometheus is dumb because a scientist guy sees an alien and trys to touch it!

Jurassic park is dumb because Alan grant sees a dinosaur and his first instinct is to jump on its stomach!

The crocodile hunter is a stupid show because no animal guy is stupid enough to grab all kinds of deadly anim oh oops he's dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

drat, I'd have loved the crocodile hunter as part of the Prometheus crew.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He was though.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol "how can people like things I don't?!?!?!"

I didn't say anything about "liking" anything. I seriously don't understand how a person with enough brain power to tie their own shoes or, say, breathe, can walk away from Prometheus with the impression that it was well written, directed or acted in some objective way. Prometheus isn't just a poorly made film - it's glaringly, obviously terrible. Now, you can like that. I have great affection for a number of notably bad movies. But there are people who legitimately believe that Prometheus is a film of some significant quality outside of the context of their own personal likes or dislikes. This is wrong.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just think it's fun and really pretty while also bringing some life back into the Alien series that hasn't been there for a long time. The paranoia, the weird sexual stuff, and not to mention Giger designs.

It's also fun to see a Space Jockey up and about.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

spank my snatch posted:

I didn't say anything about "liking" anything. I seriously don't understand how a person with enough brain power to tie their own shoes or, say, breathe, can walk away from Prometheus with the impression that it was well written, directed or acted in some objective way. Prometheus isn't just a poorly made film - it's glaringly, obviously terrible. Now, you can like that. I have great affection for a number of notably bad movies. But there are people who legitimately believe that Prometheus is a film of some significant quality outside of the context of their own personal likes or dislikes. This is wrong.

lol ok

you're wrong

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Sentinel Red posted:

Like, seriously. There are dumb motherfuckers in positions of prominence and authority making terrible decisions literally all over the world, it cracks me up when nerds freak out and whine about people in a film doing dumb, irrational stuff like it's unrealistic and impossible to conceive of. Living life as a min-maxing supersperge doing everything rationally and logically and taking the sensible/optimal course of action at all times is not normal.

I have known well-trained, well educated people in science fields who have made some stupid mistakes/decisions. Sometimes just on accident or thoughtlessly and sometimes because they were in stressful high pressure situations. I am sure there are a handful of blogs and tumblrs which collect such tales. These things definitely happen. What happens in Prometheus is just too much of that kind of thing, it's hard to suspend you're disbelief that everyone could be that grossly unprofessional/incompetent. I guess we just have to accept that they are though because that's what we got. Prometheus is just the perfect storm of the worst people at their jobs doing the worst things.

Perhaps we could extend the implications that the glut of people who seem to have no idea how to really do their jobs in prominent positions in their fields and industries to make assumptions on the state of the universe at large. Maybe there are just some huge systematic problems that have cropped up in this very corporatized future.

Perhaps the influence of Legacy lines in powerful educational institutions and the extensive level of inner dealings and close relationships among the business elite lead to these rich powerful folks lifting their inexperienced and hyper privileged offspring into these positions. Bullying them through the education system even as they didn't learn or pay attention to their professors. (What if the educators themselves are also pampered rich kids?) Leading to them not knowing poo poo about what they were doing. Perhaps this kind of gross nepotism is just so ripe throughout the universe now that Prometheus is just the inevitable outcome.

The future is coming.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

If you don't compare Alien Resurrection to the other films, and instead look at it as a really, really faithful adaptation of the tone in the Dark Horse comics, it's becomes a lot more palatable.

Thirsty Girl fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 5, 2016

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

spank my snatch posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lmao

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Maybe Weyland just hired the most superficially of competent people to give the mission some legitimacy to Shaw, when his real intention was to go meet and God and demand eternal life instead of doing any real science stuff.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
To be fair, in the first Alien you did have Kane sticking his face up to the first sign of life in a spooky rear end environment. I mean, I guess Kane was just the space equivalent of a cargo ship crew man while the Prometheus guy was top of his field so it's kinda dumb to compare but Scott isn't above people doing dumb things with strange life forms in his films.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I don't think the movie ever says Millburn was "top of his field"

He's just an "expert" that Weyland was able to hire without giving any mission details to.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
https://www.amazon.com/Aliens-vs-Predator-Randy-Stradley/dp/1569711259

The original AvP comic book was p awesome and you should read it to have another reason to be disappointed with the movie.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Palpek posted:

drat, I'd have loved the crocodile hunter as part of the Prometheus crew.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

net cafe scandal posted:

Also I couldn't finish it because of how unfavorably it compared to the first movie. *readies flame shield*

it's all good man the first Alien is my fav too

we need more movies about space long haul truckers IMO

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

It's also fun to see a Space Jockey up and about.

Prometheus destroyed the Space Jockey. Everything that was special about these unknown corpses was ruined. Here's a clip from my favorite scene in Prometheus.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Prometheus destroyed the Space Jockey.

The Space Jockey is not only literally re-awoken and reinvigorated in that movie (the opposite of destroyed), but transubstantiates into a higher enlightened being.

VikingSkull posted:

it's all good man the first Alien is my fav too

we need more movies about space long haul truckers IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IerJF2xKwuo

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 6, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ruddiger posted:

The Space Jockey is not only literally re-awoken and reinvigorated in that movie (the opposite of destroyed), but transubstantiates into a higher enlightened being.

So the dead space jocky in a space ship in Alien does not count as a 'higher enlightened being'? Cool

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

So the dead space jocky in a space ship in Alien does not count as a 'higher enlightened being'? Cool

This is addressed in the movie James Cameron wishes he made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhGaY0L1lLY&t=39s

Space travel has nothing to do with being enlightened.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I never cared if they ever showed the space jockey or not. Them doing so was dope.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Prometheus is honestly the scariest film in the series when you think about it. It's basically finding out God hates the poo poo out of you and wants to murder all of humanity.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Take this thread back to CineD, please

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

OldTennisCourt posted:

Prometheus is honestly the scariest film in the series when you think about it. It's basically finding out God hates the poo poo out of you and wants to murder all of humanity.

Prometheus is like a nice delicatessen sandwich that is dressed up to perfection but it turns out that it's a turd sandwich

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

OldTennisCourt posted:

I mean you can just read the bible to find that out

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the bible doesn't have good cinematography or alien homages. so whats the point.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
The engineer scene was pretty awesome to be honest, I know people are upset he wasn't loving huge or nearly as ominous like in Alien but I still liked it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
part of what made the original space jockey cool was the fact that it was an unanswered question

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

VikingSkull posted:

part of what made the original space jockey cool was the fact that it was an unanswered question

but but but... it was turned into a space suit! Question answered!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

tbh i get why people hate Prometheus. I really like it a lot, but I'll never get mad at someone for feeling the way they do. It's got a ton of problems, but I can look past it.

I'm hoping Alien Covenant will be a little more traditional. But what I mean by that is, there's an Alien in the movie, and according to the poster, there def is.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

net cafe scandal posted:

One of the really jarring moments was when Ripley runs over one of the xenos in her big car and it splatters alien guts and blood all over the wheel. It made me think of the scene in Alien where they make a small incision in the facehugger's leg and there's like a two minute scene of the tiny squirt of acid nearly burning through every level of the ship as everyone panics and basically realizes how hostile and resilient and dangerous the species is. So to just run a xenomorph over with a car and have a little line about the wheel being hosed up seemed really lame to me.

I believe the acid burning through the decks of a space ship ( in space) is a great idea and makes a lot of sense in Alien.

In Aliens the acid is not as big a deal on the wheel of an armored fighting vehicle because they are on a planet, not in a vacuum. Also they blew the "trans-axel" a few seconds later after driving through a wall/door and have to abandon the vehicle. There wasn't mention of a "hosed up wheel" that I recall. Maybe the acid hosed up the trans-axel? That would be a cool thing. But they didn't show that specifically happening, so I have to assume driving through walls and poo poo did the most damage.

Also acid is pretty well used throughout Aliens in the damage it does to worn armor and people.

mrlego fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 7, 2016

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Prometheus's biggest blunder was casting a young man as Yutani and using fakey old man makeup like they were making a Klumps movie. What the blue gently caress was that about.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thirsty Girl posted:

Prometheus's biggest blunder was casting a young man as Yutani and using fakey old man makeup like they were making a Klumps movie. What the blue gently caress was that about.

They were going to set a few scenes inside of Weyland's dream on a futuristic yacht where he dreams of himself as a young man surrounded by women.

Would've cost too much, so they cut it before they filmed it. But they still already cast Guy Pierce as Weyland.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Thirsty Girl posted:

I always liked that because it made me think that maybe Weyland would get his youth back, instead he gets to beat death. solid move

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

CelticPredator posted:

They were going to set a few scenes inside of Weyland's dream on a futuristic yacht where he dreams of himself as a young man surrounded by women.

Would've cost too much, so they cut it before they filmed it. But they still already cast Guy Pierce as Weyland.

Lmbo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

mrlego posted:

I believe the acid burning through the decks of a space ship ( in space) is a great idea and makes a lot of sense in Alien.

In Aliens the acid is not as big a deal on the wheel of an armored fighting vehicle because they are on a planet, not in a vacuum. Also they blew the "trans-axel" a few seconds later after driving through a wall/door and have to abandon the vehicle. There wasn't mention of a "hosed up wheel" that I recall. Maybe the acid hosed up the trans-axel? That would be a cool thing. But they didn't show that specifically happening, so I have to assume driving through walls and poo poo did the most damage.

Also acid is pretty well used throughout Aliens in the damage it does to worn armor and people.

Yeah, there's that big acid splash what's his name gets after he uses his shotgun

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah, there's that big acid splash what's his name gets after he uses his shotgun

Yeah, machine gun guy. Also Hicks gets messed up in the elevator near the end.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

mrlego posted:

Yeah, machine gun guy.

Drake, nevar forgat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiws5DAiAJY&t=10s

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Acid is pretty much what kills Vasquez, and also Gorman if you count it.

Hudson gets sprayed with Acid too.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I want to make an alien movie but I got Prometheus mixed up with the fountain youth, doh! Prometheus was almost like a greedy robin hood movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Acid is pretty much what kills Vasquez, and also Gorman if you count it.

Hudson gets sprayed with Acid too.

i thought vasquez and gorman blow themselves up w a hand grenade in the ventilation shafts after being surrounded

• Locked thread