Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
If you spend $5000 on kitty chemo and you aren't already rich you should probably spend it on mental healthcare for yourself instead.
If pet healthcare is more than $500 guess what, that pet just died. Pets cost enough without going ridiculously over the top with things like kitty chemo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
It's surprising how easy it is to spend thousands on non-terminal pet problems though. And the usually come in consecutive $500-1000 bills. Rarely does it end up being a big monolithic bill.

Like, cancer in animals is pretty much a death sentence. The prognosis is usually absymal, and it often occurs when the pet is elderly. Our cat though decided to get pancreatitis at middle age. Our "friend" we asked to watch him while we were on vacation decided that feeding him wasn't really that important, and the stress caused the pancreatitis and a relapse of feline diabetes. I was ready to put him down. However the vet was like "yeah if you spend $3-4k on intensive care for the next few days, then tube feed him through the neck for six weeks, he's got like a 90℅ chance of being back to normal".

Guess what we did. And he really did go back to normal, and I don't regret spending the money. But I had planned on pet medical expenses and also had more than ample emergency savings. It was entirely a luxury though, and if he was older or we weren't as well prepared, it would have gone differently.

But people seem to go nuts over dogs (and cats) and don't really understand what ownership entails. For most people, unless they're on a farm, avid hunters, or need a service animal, they should probably think twice before going down the dog route. There are much simpler and cheaper paths to animal companionship.

Like meat rabbits.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Step one of this thing should probably be figuring out what you really want. As this came up multiple times in the thread already, there are many definitions of "wealthy". I like Chris Rock's way of putting it: Shaq is rich, the guy who signs his paycheck is wealthy. Don't think just about the money, think of assets, reputation, network, influence, etc. Yeah, if you make >$100k anywhere on earth you shouldn't have any real problems, but that's not the same thing. My dad used to be in this category (not $100k, but by local standards at the time), but after years of depression and spotty employment, has nothing. His former boss now owns several companies, bought his wife a Cayenne so she could drive around town without asking their chauffeur, etc.

Becoming affluent or even rich shouldn't be too hard if you pick the right field and work your rear end off for a few years. Becoming wealthy is entirely different thing and you're not gonna get there by euthanizing your cat.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Becoming affluent or even rich shouldn't be too hard if you pick the right field and work your rear end off for a few years. Becoming wealthy is entirely different thing and you're not gonna get there by euthanizing your cat.
Again, we diverge into the difference between "born the prince of Nigeria" wealth, and the start your own business and stack up a couple hundred grand and have a couple of vacation homes kind of wealth. There is nothing we can do to force someone back in the womb and make them the prince of Nigeria, but the $5k you spend to treat your cat for cancer is ABSOLUTELY the difference between being able to start your own coffee cart, then branch into a couple of coffee carts, then start a B&M coffee shop and pay off your house and take month-long vacations. Sure, it'd be nice to have $100k to start that coffee shop, but the $5k is much more attainable for most folks.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Maybe I'm naive, but I'm extremely skeptical that $5k can be leveraged into a couple hundred in the bank and a few vacation homes.

Maybe in a few edge cases, but I'd imagine the vast majority of people would fail, regardless of how hard they work.

Edit: I guess maybe the question should be what steps to take that give a decent chance of becoming wealthy. Otherwise going all in on a $5k coffee cart or buying a ton of lottery tickets are perfectly valid answers

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 28, 2016

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
To my recollection, most successful small businesses start with $0 and grow from there. Businesses that start with loans and seed money are much more likely to fail. With $0, you need to make money from day 1. With $100k in seed money, you can bleed money for a long time, and never learn how to make it.

IMHO, you're more likely to make a successful life for yourself with $5k than with $100k.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

photomikey posted:

To my recollection, most successful small businesses start with $0 and grow from there. Businesses that start with loans and seed money are much more likely to fail. With $0, you need to make money from day 1. With $100k in seed money, you can bleed money for a long time, and never learn how to make it.

IMHO, you're more likely to make a successful life for yourself with $5k than with $100k.

That's really quite a claim, I'd love to see any data you have that would back it up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BarbarianElephant posted:

Some people are not happy unless they have a pet. But many people seem to get a pet on a whim and don't really think about whether they want a pet or are just buying it as a lifestyle accessory. Pets also have their costs loaded into the end of the pet's life. When buying a kitten for $50 you don't think about how in 15 years time you will be under pressure to spend $5000 on kitty chemo or watch your beloved companion die.

I've always been a little confused by people spending thousands of dollars to extend the life of an already-old pet. With humans it often makes sense because 1. they're humans and 2. an 80 y/o human could still have as many as 20 years left to live, but a 14 y/o dog (or whatever an equivalent cat age is) isn't going to live much longer just because you cure its immediate problem. Our dog recently had to be euthanized because his hip reached the point where he couldn't stand, and we never even considered trying to find some surgical solution because he was already pretty old and it seemed like a pretty selfish action to put him through so much suffering just so we could keep our companion a little longer. The same was apparently true for our last dog as well (I was at college when she was euthanized, but I think it was because of a kidney issue that would have cost thousands for a pretty low possibility of curing it), so it's not like I don't understand the mindset of a pet owner.

photomikey posted:

This....seems really unlikely.

edit: I tried looking up info on this, and while I couldn't find the exact statistic I was looking for I did find information on how starting capital is absolutely vital to a small business and that the only question is how you acquire it (either through loans or through your own capital). So basically if you don't have money to start with the only difference is you're going to have to take out loans and end up paying a little more due to interest rates (which will probably be higher if you have fewer assets to begin with). I can't find anything indicating that taking out a loan somehow gives a higher chance of success due to the psychological pressure of repaying the loan.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 28, 2016

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I don't have anything to support it. I read it in passing somewhere. It probably stuck with me because it's my situation and there's a bit of confirmation bias at work.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Don't spend so much time in school, don't watch anime, stop playing video games.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Ytlaya posted:

I've always been a little confused by people spending thousands of dollars to extend the life of an already-old pet. With humans it often makes sense because 1. they're humans and 2. an 80 y/o human could still have as many as 20 years left to live, but a 14 y/o dog (or whatever an equivalent cat age is) isn't going to live much longer just because you cure its immediate problem. Our dog recently had to be euthanized because his hip reached the point where he couldn't stand, and we never even considered trying to find some surgical solution because he was already pretty old and it seemed like a pretty selfish action to put him through so much suffering just so we could keep our companion a little longer.

There are grey areas. With your dog, the decision was pretty clear-cut, nobody could fault you for putting down an animal that would never get better. But a lot of the time, the decision isn't so clear, sometimes the animal only needs $500-1000 in treatment and they'd be back to normal and live several more years.

That's how people end up spending thousands keeping a pet alive. It's hard to put a pet down when the vet says they'll probably be fine after a treatment that isn't terribly expensive and you have the money.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

photomikey posted:

I don't have anything to support it. I read it in passing somewhere. It probably stuck with me because it's my situation and there's a bit of confirmation bias at work.

Someone who made it from nothing and then expects everyone else to be able to do the same easily?

Are you Adam Carolla? It would explain a lot about your posting.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

mobby_6kl posted:

This is really semantic. People use "affluent", "wealthy" and "rich" interchangeably. This is like arguing about the difference between geeks and nerds.

It's a lot easier to become financially comfortable than truly rich. And that's really what most people want. They want the second home somewhere nice, not the golden tower in NYC.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Someone who made it from nothing and then expects everyone else to be able to do the same easily?

Are you Adam Carolla? It would explain a lot about your posting.
Adam Carolla and I agree on about 95% of social issues.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

This is really semantic. People use "affluent", "wealthy" and "rich" interchangeably. This is like arguing about the difference between geeks and nerds.

It's a lot easier to become financially comfortable than truly rich. And that's really what most people want. They want the second home somewhere nice, not the golden tower in NYC.
Perhaps, to me there's a distinction but it's not really important, the point was to find out what was OP's actual goal, which wasn't very clear. As you say, becoming financially comfortable isn't that difficult, just study towards one of the high-income careers in STEM or finance. Getting gently caress-you money is way, way more difficult and would require a ton more luck and connections among other things.

If it's about the former, I'd suggest going to BFC.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Some people are not happy unless they have a pet. But many people seem to get a pet on a whim and don't really think about whether they want a pet or are just buying it as a lifestyle accessory.

Many people do roughly the same thing with having children, doing it as soon as they have a decent long-term relationship (or worse, on the grossly misguided belief that it will stabilize a troubled relationship) without bothering to consider if that's actually where they want to go with their lives, or if they're reasonably ready for that responsibility.

In fact, those who advocate thinking things through have been met with the criticism "there's no perfect time to have kids" as though that logically concludes with "there's no bad time to have kids" (it doesn't).

mobby_6kl posted:

Step one of this thing should probably be figuring out what you really want. As this came up multiple times in the thread already, there are many definitions of "wealthy". I like Chris Rock's way of putting it: Shaq is rich, the guy who signs his paycheck is wealthy. Don't think just about the money, think of assets, reputation, network, influence, etc. Yeah, if you make >$100k anywhere on earth you shouldn't have any real problems, but that's not the same thing. My dad used to be in this category (not $100k, but by local standards at the time), but after years of depression and spotty employment, has nothing. His former boss now owns several companies, bought his wife a Cayenne so she could drive around town without asking their chauffeur, etc.

Conversely, early retirement as preached my Mr. Money Mustache (and numerous goons) can't exactly be counted as "freedom" if you can't afford to do what you want to do with your life. The important thing, as you say, is to consider what you actually want out of life and then figure out how best to achieve that goal.

photomikey posted:

I was under the impression that "make money from day 1" was only feasible for a select few categories of business.

nazca
Apr 9, 2016

Lord and Savior of KarmaFleet
I'm still learning and failing so far but I'm only 27.

Here's what I've learned:
Business owners make the most money. Who had all the money from trump tower? The architect? The managers? The companies renting space? It's trump.

Any business isn't about its products, it's about how well they market their products.

Time and time again you see business' with superior products lose to places like Walmart.

The scrapbooking industry in the US is an example of this. Local stores with better and more unique products have all died at the hands of Walmart, hobby lobby, and Micheal's. They couldent compete with the marketing even though they had better products.

So learn to market really well or hire some one who can. Then sell the same pencils as everyone else at Walmart.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Marketing is important, but quality keeps people coming back. There are products that Wal-mart has stopped carrying because they were too unreliable and were hurting the company's reputation. A couple of months ago I know my old store in FL dropped a local vendor because his fruit was always unpresentable and went rancid too quickly.

So, what I'm saying is, marketing is absolutely essential, like your thumb, but your reputation and your quality are like your wrist. This is pretty applicable to jobs too. I had a lovely resume for an embarrassingly long time, but my reputation with people who hired me as someone who gets their job done and plays well with others made that less of an issue. Another way to think of it is this; reputation is a kind of advertising, and one that is at least three times more effective than ad space on a website or a shiny resume.

Come to think of it, can anyone recommend a good resume service? Getting a good position is a great first step on the road to wealth.

nazca
Apr 9, 2016

Veyrall posted:

Marketing is important, but quality keeps people coming back. There are products that Wal-mart has stopped carrying because they were too unreliable and were hurting the company's reputation. A couple of months ago I know my old store in FL dropped a local vendor because his fruit was always unpresentable and went rancid too quickly.

So, what I'm saying is, marketing is absolutely essential, like your thumb, but your reputation and your quality are like your wrist. This is pretty applicable to jobs too. I had a lovely resume for an embarrassingly long time, but my reputation with people who hired me as someone who gets their job done and plays well with others made that less of an issue. Another way to think of it is this; reputation is a kind of advertising, and one that is at least three times more effective than ad space on a website or a shiny resume.

Come to think of it, can anyone recommend a good resume service? Getting a good position is a great first step on the road to wealth.

I dig that.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Veyrall posted:

Walmart has a reputation beyond "Lowest Common Denominator"?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Orange Sunshine posted:

Imagine reading a book called, "I Failed in the Restaurant Business, and You Can Too".

It's about a guy who borrowed $1 million from family members and banks and opened his own restaurant. It failed completely, because the sales weren't high enough. Was the location wrong? Was the menu the problem? Was the concept unworkable? Maybe all of the above, hard to be sure.

Well, nobody would ever read that book, so it won't get published. But a million people experience variations of the above every year, and you never hear about them.

There is a published book along these lines: What I Learned Losing a Million Dollars.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Lowest common denominator that doesn't actively kill their customers, yeah. They sell cheap rear end poo poo but they have a large and active PR department and underestimating Bentonville is not a smart idea.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sic Semper Goon posted:

My job involves a lot of regulation and quality assurance and Wal-Mart products have actual standards, believe it or not. Their specs are usually proprietary and a lot of manufacturers find them infuriating to work with because they're always slow to provide follow-up information and usually unreliable whenever they do, but it is possible to have a product lovely enough to not meet Wal-Mart's pass/fail criteria.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I'm going to be circumspect because if I gave details I'd out myself. The company I worked for a few years back had a perfectly functional widget that did its job properly and we felt quite well. It was sold at Sam's Club (Walmart Costco) for years with no issues. One day, papa Walton decided to either standardize pallet sizes or hold us to the existing standard, and we had to redesign our product so it fit within an x by y box. This was a huge loving deal because our widget was large by definition and a shitload of engineering went into turning one frame piece into two with the same structural rigidity.

Walmart is the best and worst thing that can happen to a widget maker. If you make it onto Walmart shelves, you are loving golden for sales (if your widget is a piece of poo poo that wouldn't sell anyway, you didn't make it to this point). Once your company depends on Walmart sales to survive, you get bent over by Bentonville; make it cheaper, ship less of them this quarter (oops your manufacturing chain already has too many coming out, get hosed), or in our case reengineer the whole loving thing.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Veyrall posted:

There was some great resume services here on SA if I remember. Lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

bitcoin bastard posted:

I'm going to be circumspect because if I gave details I'd out myself. The company I worked for a few years back had a perfectly functional widget that did its job properly and we felt quite well. It was sold at Sam's Club (Walmart Costco) for years with no issues. One day, papa Walton decided to either standardize pallet sizes or hold us to the existing standard, and we had to redesign our product so it fit within an x by y box. This was a huge loving deal because our widget was large by definition and a shitload of engineering went into turning one frame piece into two with the same structural rigidity.

Walmart is the best and worst thing that can happen to a widget maker. If you make it onto Walmart shelves, you are loving golden for sales (if your widget is a piece of poo poo that wouldn't sell anyway, you didn't make it to this point). Once your company depends on Walmart sales to survive, you get bent over by Bentonville; make it cheaper, ship less of them this quarter (oops your manufacturing chain already has too many coming out, get hosed), or in our case reengineer the whole loving thing.

Sounds about in line with my experiences. We're in different markets but several clients I've spoken to decided to vent to me about working with Walmart out of the blue and their stories sounded similar.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'd not deal with bebtonville!

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

The Big Box/Automobile experience is a pretty common case set in MBA programs. Whether it is Walmart, Home Depot, Ford. Extreme Volume Growth = Extreme Revenue Growth =/= Extreme Profit growth or Freedom, for the reasons mentioned above

nazca
Apr 9, 2016

bitcoin bastard posted:

Good thing you can fit pencils into a variety of palette sizes.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Oxxidation posted:

Sounds about in line with my experiences. We're in different markets but several clients I've spoken to decided to vent to me about working with Walmart out of the blue and their stories sounded similar.

I've heard of more than one company that just flat out refuse to put their products in Walmart for these reasons.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Take out a big loan in a bank through a shell company. Use that money to buy a bunch of shares in that bank. Repeat this a few times until you are basically giving yourself free money and write off as much of your debt to yourself as you can. Funnel any profits into hidden off shore accounts so when it all comes crashing down you will only lose a few million.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i am a STEM and the leaves are... my sheer rage at society

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
no wealth can inoculate you against smallpox of the soul.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Avshalom posted:

Might I direct you to the Effective Leftism thread? Right now it's more about effective activism and pro-diversity/science than anything economic.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Avshalom posted:

i am a STEM and the leaves are... my sheer rage at society

what

Avshalom posted:

you need a girlfriend or something. Go and check the fitness forum.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i am unfathomably beautiful

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Its really quite simple!

1. Don't get married
2. Don't have kids

For the average goon it shouldn't be hard to achieve these 2 steps.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

MrMidnight posted:

Its really quite simple!

1. Don't get married
2. Don't have kids

For the average goon it shouldn't be hard to achieve these 2 steps.
You'll make a ton more money by being married, as long as you don't have kids. Housing, food, maintenance, insurance, transportation, etc. for two people together is waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy less than twice as expensive as it is for one person alone.

Just don't spend a shitload on the wedding.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Doctor Party posted:

5) After getting in, now you have to come to grips with the reality of studying your rear end off for years. Only to be getting your rear end kicked by people so smart you didn't think real people were that smart. Like you know those movies or shows like the big bang theory, where they have an exaggerated genius character like Sheldon Cooper. Those guys exist and in real life they go to medical school.

For years I taught an intro physics course that I was told was mandatory for anyone wanting to go to med school and not a single one of the chucklefucks that I taught was anything like a Sheldon Cooper. There were a lot of try-hards who would argue that they should have gotten a 91 instead of an 89 on the most recent exam and who emphasized how much time they spent memorizing the formulae (which is pointless)

Some of the theoretical physicists that I've met were definitely Cooper personalities, and I had a computational physicist as a professor who could have been Cooper's brother, but apparently the Cooper character is based on a guy who's actually a computer scientist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

You'll make a ton more money by being married, as long as you don't have kids. Housing, food, maintenance, insurance, transportation, etc. for two people together is waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy less than twice as expensive as it is for one person alone.

Just don't spend a shitload on the wedding.

Even better if your wife/husband works! If you have kids though then you have to pay for daycare which is insanely expensive.

• Locked thread