Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

If you don't have kids, why wouldn't your spouse work (assuming they are in good health)?

If you're actually wealthy, home and estate management can easily be a full time job. If you just have high income, it's kinda dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There are software engineers (aside from H1Bs) getting paid less than six figures? :raise:

fake edit: Google sez $100k is almost exactly the median salary, so yeah, I guess about half of them are. But that group has to be overrepresented by aforementioned H1Bs and kids right out of college. It's an arbitrary line, but shouldn't be a tough barrier to crack with a few years experience.

In some parts of flyover country it can certainly be hard to crack 100k. At Google though, if you get in and are moderately successful, 300k total comp isn't even that ambitious.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

metztli posted:

I'm a mediocre developer with no STEM background at all, entirely self-taught, and I make > $100k with a bit under 4 years experience, in the mid-west. Ask for a raise, you're probably a hell of a lot better than you think you are.

I literally just posted this in another thread. Unless you are utter crap as a developer, 9/10 times you need better interview skills, not actual directly relevant skills.

• Locked thread