Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If you want to become wealthy, find and learn a marketable skill(not necessarily a degree, a skill), work for a while and put away a few million dollars. Then, use those millions to start a company that fits with your expertise, and work your rear end off for 3-5 years to make the company successful.

Its very difficult to become wealthy by working for others, eventually you'll need to figure out a way to be the owner of some sort of company or business.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Unholy Ghost posted:

A...few million dollars? Most jobs I can think of for an undergrad would provide under $100,000 a year, so a max of $1 million assuming I do something like brain surgeon. Are you referring to an investment of some kind?

When I said work for a while and put away a few million, I meant you need to work for like 20-25 years. Then, when you're in your mid-40's use the savings you've built up to take a major risk(i.e. start a company) and hope if pays off.

People don't become truly wealthy in their 20's and 30's unless they come from money or there are truly extraordinary circumstances.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

oliveoil posted:

Not really. After taxes that's like $125k, and then if you're in moat places where people make that much money, you're probably spending another $30k on rent. Before any other expensive that leaves you with like $95k/yr, which is way more than anyone else makes but not enough to retire on, so you still need to earn a paycheck, and I'd say you're not wealthy if you need to earn a paycheck to maintain a modest lifestyle.

Its just semantics at this point, having 95k left over every year doesn't make you instantly wealthy, but you're on the road to wealth and it wouldn't take that long to accumulate a nice chunk of money that would allow you financial freedom. I don't think the OP is expecting to become wealthy in a single year.

• Locked thread