Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

Doctor Party posted:

As with most things it isn't quite that simple:
1) To do reasonably well on the MCAT you will need to be proficient at physics, organic chemistry, general chemistry and various fields of biology. In addition to doing well on the verbal reasoning section, which is more "how smart are you?" than anything to do with studying. And by do well, I don't mean like well enough to get an A in your physics class. I mean do well enough to beat out all the other people in the country who made A's in their physics class.

2) Note that while studying for a test seems easy, 30-40,000 apply for medical school admissions every year and only about half get in. These people often times are super smart and ultra competitive.

3) In addition to simply doing well on the MCAT you need killer grades (gpa 3.8ish or so), extra-curricular activities (volunteer much?), research experience, letters of recommendation and the list goes on

4) You can not simply enter medical school "with any degree". You have to take the minimal requirements for whatever medical school you are applying. These are often a typical 2 year set of pre-med courses like physics, biology, chemistry etc, some schools require calculus and biochem and other random classes. So while you can major in philosophy you certainly need almost 2 years of the classes you'd think a medical student would need.

5) After getting in, now you have to come to grips with the reality of studying your rear end off for years. Only to be getting your rear end kicked by people so smart you didn't think real people were that smart. Like you know those movies or shows like the big bang theory, where they have an exaggerated genius character like Sheldon Cooper. Those guys exist and in real life they go to medical school.

6) You have to make good grades in med school and then do well on an even harder exam than the MCAT (called step 1, ie the first step in your medical license) to get the specialty of your choice.

7) Obviously becoming a doctor is not a get rich quick scheme by any means. 4 years of medical school, 3-5 years of residency plus/minus fellowships of 1-3 years. You end up being in your mid thirties or later before any real money is made after grueling hours/years of studying, and work.

All that being said, I am finally nearing the end of this long process (senior resident in a surgical field) and I am very satisfied with having become a doctor.

Finally, if you want to make 6 figures in a medical field, let me suggest pharmacy as an option. With your college degree you would need to obtain those same pre-med reqs, (and calculus) then take the PCAT and complete four years of pharmacy school. The schooling is not nearly as cut throat and most pharmacy students do not do a residency. You start off making low 6 figures right away.

If anyone wants to discuss medical school or being a doctor feel free to ask me any time. Sorry for momentary thread derailment.

Just want to chime in and say that I agree with Doctor Party. Becoming a physician was a very long road and is not the path of least resistance to riches, especially if you have crushing student loan debt. Almost 5 years out after finishing my fellowship and despite working more hours than the average person, I can say I enjoy my job. That said, if you didn't enjoy practicing medicine, the additional headaches would totally not be worth the money to you.

For content: First, pay off your debts if you have them. Then avoid getting back into debt. Live on less than you make and invest the rest in index funds when you are young. Compounding interest is a powerful force that favors the young. Spend some time reading BFC as there is some excellent content in there. Wish I could go back in time and have started a Roth IRA when I was 21 :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread