Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Step one of this thing should probably be figuring out what you really want. As this came up multiple times in the thread already, there are many definitions of "wealthy". I like Chris Rock's way of putting it: Shaq is rich, the guy who signs his paycheck is wealthy. Don't think just about the money, think of assets, reputation, network, influence, etc. Yeah, if you make >$100k anywhere on earth you shouldn't have any real problems, but that's not the same thing. My dad used to be in this category (not $100k, but by local standards at the time), but after years of depression and spotty employment, has nothing. His former boss now owns several companies, bought his wife a Cayenne so she could drive around town without asking their chauffeur, etc.

Becoming affluent or even rich shouldn't be too hard if you pick the right field and work your rear end off for a few years. Becoming wealthy is entirely different thing and you're not gonna get there by euthanizing your cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BarbarianElephant posted:

This is really semantic. People use "affluent", "wealthy" and "rich" interchangeably. This is like arguing about the difference between geeks and nerds.

It's a lot easier to become financially comfortable than truly rich. And that's really what most people want. They want the second home somewhere nice, not the golden tower in NYC.
Perhaps, to me there's a distinction but it's not really important, the point was to find out what was OP's actual goal, which wasn't very clear. As you say, becoming financially comfortable isn't that difficult, just study towards one of the high-income careers in STEM or finance. Getting gently caress-you money is way, way more difficult and would require a ton more luck and connections among other things.

If it's about the former, I'd suggest going to BFC.

• Locked thread