Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Others have said it, but in my own life, networking and connections have made even a buster entry-level management position at a major retailer enough to make me feel wealthy, in that every single bill was paid on time and I could go on dates with my then-girlfriend whenever I wanted to.

Seriously, good networking has gotten me jobs, obviously, but it also got me a "rent-free" house in Florida, a brand new car from a really bad wreck, and a ton of great friends and experiences that I would have never been anywhere near otherwise. Even when I had to completely uproot and move back in with the parents with my tail between my legs, my old connections got me a first week promotion in my job, front row tickets to a concert, and a bunch of old, sorely missed friends.

What I'm saying is, "How to Win Friends and Influence People" is a solid loving investment of a book, even if it does make you a bizarro social Muppet for a while before you actually get how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Josef bugman posted:

No you can't. The fact is that if you've got the right hand shake and the right smile the people dragging the company down are always going to do better.
I used to believe this until one of the "schmoozers" at my company got a bad case of head-on collision and I found out just how much he was doing behind the scenes and all the little slack he was picking up here and there. In this particular example, I worked with one guy who basically only got coffee and talked to department heads, and it turned out he was the guy who made certain that everyone had the necessary equipment for their job and losing him for a few weeks nearly brought the store to a screeching halt.

It has never been my experience that there are non-essential personnel outside of vanity projects. There are people who are bad at their jobs, no doubt, but I've worked with several large companies and a few small heartbreakers and the best way to tell the difference was whether or not there were "professional sitters" around. If there was even a single sitter, the project/company was a 2-3 year flash-in-the-pan.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Tony Montana posted:

Nah. I can tell you from personal experience that Hewlett Packard and IBM have plenty of 'sitters'. I once had a team lead that would happily state in meetings that she didn't know anything about the technology we were all about. She tried to set me up with her niece. This is while I was the Active Directory Lead for Hewlett Packard directly responsible for a 10k seat network and routinely consulting on other networks of similar size on behalf of HP.

There are shitlords everywhere, just don't be one.
Fair enough. I've been lucky then.

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like there's two tiers of "wealthy." One is "can live on capital gains alone/without working" and the other is "will be financially secure under almost any circumstances unless you do something incredibly, incredibly stupid." I think that both of these have meaning, because they represent different interests the person might have politically and otherwise.
I personally prefer the "rich enough to be able to completely ignore the rest of humanity" approach.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Shooting Blanks posted:

Caveat: You will meet people that cannot directly help you be successful. This is not a license to shun them or be an rear end in a top hat just because you don't think they're worth your time.
Mind if I expound on this a bit?

I come from a very poor state. There are people here who are burn-outs, psychopaths, and general tragedies. These people can, and will, drag you into their negative spirals. Don't spend time and resources on them, but don't shut them all out either. Some of them do clean up and can become very useful, or just really cool. Things like hanging out on an off day or driving them down the road a little ways are cheap, safe ways to interact positively without giving them access to your much more valuable resources. Time and money are precious, so be wary of where you spend either.

Learning how to politely say No is a very good skill, and some people never develop it and spend their whole lives being jerked around.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Marketing is important, but quality keeps people coming back. There are products that Wal-mart has stopped carrying because they were too unreliable and were hurting the company's reputation. A couple of months ago I know my old store in FL dropped a local vendor because his fruit was always unpresentable and went rancid too quickly.

So, what I'm saying is, marketing is absolutely essential, like your thumb, but your reputation and your quality are like your wrist. This is pretty applicable to jobs too. I had a lovely resume for an embarrassingly long time, but my reputation with people who hired me as someone who gets their job done and plays well with others made that less of an issue. Another way to think of it is this; reputation is a kind of advertising, and one that is at least three times more effective than ad space on a website or a shiny resume.

Come to think of it, can anyone recommend a good resume service? Getting a good position is a great first step on the road to wealth.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Avshalom posted:

no wealth can inoculate you against smallpox of the soul.
Might I direct you to the Effective Leftism thread? Right now it's more about effective activism and pro-diversity/science than anything economic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
Incidentally, can anyone tell me if genetic engineering is a good field to get into? I've been considering going back to college and am wondering if it's a good field.

• Locked thread