Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

N. Senada posted:

Don't strive to be wealthy, strive to be financially independent.

Identify how much money you need a month/year to live the life you want. Work towards saving enough money that you can live off the interest it produces for you.

Pay off your debts, start saving money, don't take on new debts.

This. Don't look at wealth as being an exact dollar amount, look at wealth as freedom from having to give a gently caress about money.

You are young- at some point in the next 10 years you'll figure out what direction you want to go with your life- by that I mean you will define what success looks like for you. For example, success for myself means no debt, owning my own land and home, and living at least partially off that land while making money in an enjoyable way (maybe telecommuting, maybe running my own CSA, I don't know yet). For you success might be becoming CEO, or being a famous doctor, or whatever.

Until you figure out what success means to you personally the absolute BEST thing you can do right now is live as frugally as possible, work as hard as you can, learn as much as you can (more school possibly, but I'd recommend real world experience over school), and paying off any debt you have as fast as you can while socking away money. This doesn't have to mean eating ramen every night; the careers and finance subforum has great advice about paying off debt, saving money, and advancing in your career.

I'm 10 years older than you and I wish I had taken this advice when I was your age.

Also find things/people that inspire you and read about them. Maybe it's Elon Musk, maybe it's Mother Teresa, point is learn as much as you can from others so you can emulate their successes and avoid their mistakes. Learn from the people around you too- your professors, your managers, your co-workers- everyone has something to teach you (tho more than half the time it's what NOT to do!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread