Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's easy:

1) Have a true passion for money.

2) Have a useful skill

3) Market the interface between your passion and your utility effectively.

It seems glib but that's a big part of it. A lot of people follow unprofitable "passion" careers. Don't do that. Don't ask, "Do I like this?" ask "Am I good at this?" and "Does this pay well?" If there is a disconnect between what you are "good at" and "what pays well" find a way to better monetize what you do well.

That may involve crazy risks like starting a company. Do that, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
LOL at a bunch of people talking about things like "nursing" or "$250K" as "wealthy".

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I disagree with the "avoid debt" person. Bankruptcy has always been very kind to me. Avoiding bankruptcy is avoiding success. Good if you want middle of the road don't rock the boat money. Full disclosure I took the weak path. But to be really rich, take that debt and take a risk.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

photomikey posted:

That is 50% of it. The other 50% is knowing economics 101. Selling something for more than it costs to produce. Knowing how people assign value. Scarcity. Luxury. Needs vs Wants. Of course that's helpful if you're in sales, but even if you're in a role where you never touch a product and never interact with a customer, being able to track your organization's direction by paying attention to the finances and more importantly being able to look at your job, determine where you add value to the company, and being able to prove that value to the people above you... It just seems like there is a huge lack of that in business.

That seems like a naive view of business. There is a lot of bloat with business, but isn't that the way capitalism is supposed to work? "The Market" seems to dictate that there are at least six non-productive bureaucrats for every real producing member of the company.

I'm OK with that. So is broader American capitalism. Essential members, "killers" can really do well: sales, coding, building -- whatever. And while they are sometimes invited, there is absolutely a broader Brahman managerial class. Class is real and if you look at the stats social mobility doesn't really exist (especially in the USA).

Arguing class-conformist narratives like "nursing" (LOL) won't make you rich. They will keep you comfortable on the poverty treadmill.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Despite some disagreement, a constant here seems to be "don't be a loser creepy goon"

One of the best things you can do to ensure bank or at worst fail upwards is have a very good SQ/EQ.

Being the captain of your high school X team is not a promise of future wealth, but all people of great wealth were the leaders of prominent social activity from a young age.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

BarbarianElephant posted:

You don't have to be excellent at social stuff to make money, but you do have to *actually do stuff* - not just sit in your bedroom dreaming of how you would be a success if only the feminazis didn't bring you down. So, yes, being a creepy goon guarantees failure, but being the life and soul of the party is not necessary. There's a lot of (rich) awkward oddballs in the tech industry, particularly.

I know plenty of people in tech and I can assure you that people with a solid EQ do better than those without. There are absolutely "shut in geniuses who make bank" but if you want to hit the $250K, much less the real rich, being sociable is a better bet than "individual genius".

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

PT6A posted:

To add to this, assuming you aren't completely socially repellant, consider asking someone more politically gifted than you for advice when you're confronted with a delicate situation you don't know how to handle. In fact, even if you're great, ask for advice -- at worst, you don't have to take it, but it could give you a perspective on the situation you hadn't considered before. Part of being a well-rounded human being is admitting to yourself when other people are better than you at certain things, and asking for help from them.

This is fantastic advice and something I still struggle with occasionally. It's hard to swallow your pride like that and it is also absolutely loving vital to success in life.

I'm less proud than my parents who are less proud than their parents . . . it's a process.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

photomikey posted:

I was born poor, worked my way through college, I am 4% now. Aiming higher.

I'm not innocent of bragging in this thread, but the point is to provide a narrative and advice. Not to brag. Bragging is OK. But at least try to make it instructive.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Biological sciences are usually among the lowest paid sciences, so I'd probably steer clear if you want to make money. Plus, if you want to keep working (since a lot of jobs end up being essentially contract work) you'd want to move to a major biotech hub like SF or Boston where the comparatively low pay scale hurts you even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Holyshoot posted:

When you guys say read everyday what exactly are you reading?

Depends on how you want to win.

Read what your boss reads if you want to go the boot black route. Worked for me and I'm out earning most of the pseudo-champions in this thread.

Higher risk would be "technical poo poo in your field plus successful people in your field who actually succeeded". The latter seems like fluff but expertise is no promise of success so even if they are worthless garbage people, roll your eyes and do the "totally obvious stuff you are already doing, GOD MOM CAN'T YOU SEE I'M A PEOPLE PERSON!"

I'm not actually smart and I don't have a common touch. But I've learned how to fake both. Life is a learned skill.

• Locked thread