Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Tony Montana posted:

250k a year is wealthy. You can still piss it all up a wall, but even then some should stick in a crack somewhere and turn into more money. 250k, period, isn't a lot of money on it's own.

Someone that has a real job and pulls down legit 250k a year is making bank. Not a salesperson with a commission based bonus to that amount or small business person that signed someone 'big' to them, someone that every two weeks gets a paycheck with them all adding up 250k each year and doing that year in and year out.

Traders can scoff along with so many others but I did say 'real' job :)

Not really. After taxes that's like $125k, and then if you're in moat places where people make that much money, you're probably spending another $30k on rent. Before any other expensive that leaves you with like $95k/yr, which is way more than anyone else makes but not enough to retire on, so you still need to earn a paycheck, and I'd say you're not wealthy if you need to earn a paycheck to maintain a modest lifestyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Imaduck posted:

And loving LOL if you think having $95k of fun money after taxes and posh rent is paid is a "modest" living.

No, I think if you need to work to keep a modest living then you're not wealthy. Having $95k in the bank is not enough for you to keep a modest living. You still have to keep the paychecks coming in or you become homeless.

If you can live off your savings indefinitely, I'd consider you wealthy. If you have to get a job, you're not.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 6, 2016

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Dogfish posted:

To the people who think if you work you're not wealthy: can you expand more on why you think that?

When I think of wealth, I think of the definition you get when you google that word, which is basically "an abundance of valuable possessions or money". Working doesn't have anything to do with being wealthy or not - if you're wealthy, you can still work. What matters is whether you HAVE to work. If you don't have enough money to stop working then you don't really have an abundance of money. Maybe you have a job that pays a lot and will let you get an abundance eventually - but having a path to get something is not the same as already having that thing.

• Locked thread