Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

The Unholy Ghost posted:

A...few million dollars? Most jobs I can think of for an undergrad would provide under $100,000 a year, so a max of $1 million assuming I do something like brain surgeon. Are you referring to an investment of some kind?

There's a certain subset of goons and the general "financial advice" folks who get into very lucrative jobs in their early 20's, and are able to poopsock their way to financial independence when they hit their early 30's. That's what you're seeing when you read articles like "How this couple was able to retire at 35!". It's like, oh, yeah they were able to invest $150k a year from both their lucrative tech jobs, while living in a low cost-of-living area. It's impossible for most people to save anywhere near that amount. How do you save $50k a year, when you're making $40k?

This doesn't mean the advice these folks put out isn't a good idea. It's just that, instead of being a multi-millionaire at 30, you end up with a moderate emergency savings account, no car payments, and if you're lucky, a decent down payment on a house that isn't a total shithole. If you don't have any major disasters in your life, and use your money responsibly, you might end up with a million or two saved up to retire upon when you hit your mid 60's.

If you aren't one of the unicorns with a super high paying job, and you want to get rich, you have to look into either bootstrapping up a small business, or getting a healthy skillset and con artist experience to start up something using Other People's Money. Both of these are very risky, and can involve a lot of lean years where you're tearing your hair out. But some people make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

Never mind that no matter how frugal you may be, having a kid (as he does) is far more expensive than owning a dog, or for that matter any of the leisure activities he keeps trash-talking on his blog.

To be fair though, having and raising children is an end goal in life that is way, way more important for most people than dog ownership or hobbies. It's not really comparable.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Just a question of priorities.

Not really, unless you put the goal of "owning a dog" on the same level of complexity and life importance as something like home ownership, early retirement, long term career goals, etc. Dog ownership and starting a family are apples and oranges. A more appropriate comparison would be, like, opening a dog rescue operation or something.

I have a cat, and I love him, but it really is a money sink. I'm probably spending close to $20k on it over its lifetime. I love cats but never planned on getting one until I had a home and was working on starting a family. But then I met my wife and she already had the cat, so, bingo that happened sooner than my plan. And it probably delayed us getting our down payment ready by a year or more.

Pyramid Scheme posted:

Not perpetuating your genes is a form of nirvana. Embrace total oblivion.

I prefer a more absurdist outlook. Creating offspring and perpetuating life in the face of the inevitable heat death of the universe is an incredibly satisfying Sisyphean undertaking.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

It's surprising how easy it is to spend thousands on non-terminal pet problems though. And the usually come in consecutive $500-1000 bills. Rarely does it end up being a big monolithic bill.

Like, cancer in animals is pretty much a death sentence. The prognosis is usually absymal, and it often occurs when the pet is elderly. Our cat though decided to get pancreatitis at middle age. Our "friend" we asked to watch him while we were on vacation decided that feeding him wasn't really that important, and the stress caused the pancreatitis and a relapse of feline diabetes. I was ready to put him down. However the vet was like "yeah if you spend $3-4k on intensive care for the next few days, then tube feed him through the neck for six weeks, he's got like a 90℅ chance of being back to normal".

Guess what we did. And he really did go back to normal, and I don't regret spending the money. But I had planned on pet medical expenses and also had more than ample emergency savings. It was entirely a luxury though, and if he was older or we weren't as well prepared, it would have gone differently.

But people seem to go nuts over dogs (and cats) and don't really understand what ownership entails. For most people, unless they're on a farm, avid hunters, or need a service animal, they should probably think twice before going down the dog route. There are much simpler and cheaper paths to animal companionship.

Like meat rabbits.

• Locked thread