Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Is there a school degree that lands you in a field that doesn't entirely consume your life?

About 18 of the top 30 paying jobs are in medical specialties. You could argue that many of those are pretty life consuming but not every specialty is surgery and I've known several GPs and Pediatricians who enjoy a good work/life balance in addition to a general salary.

Plus, having completed an undergraduate degree already, you're halfway to medical school already since most graduate entry programs require that + a decent score on the qualifying exam (the MCAT). Using your undergrad as your qualifying degree is a great way to leverage a degree in a field you either can't or don't want to work in. Anyone who laughed at your decision to get a degree in philosophy will eat their words when your philosophy degree is used as your entry point into an MD program somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

The Unholy Ghost posted:

So as long as I read some books on the MCAT and passed I could enter medical school even with the most random-rear end undergrad degree? Interesting.

I wouldn't call it an easy test but my background is in psychology; I learned enough background science to do well on admissions exams and now I'm in medical school. I have classmates with undergraduate degrees in fine arts, musical theory, and engineering in addition to the usual biomedical science grads.

• Locked thread