Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thief posted:

i must have lucked out because i have a .2 K:D ratio and placed in gold through matchmaker roulette.
That's not necessarily a function of performance, it depends on what you do. My K/D is garbage as well, but I constantly play with one-two tryhard roamer types so I just play as a support, babysitting reinforcements, gadget placements, cameras, and whatnot. There are diminishing returns to everything in this game, fragging including.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Maybe stuff like shields and IQ's wristwatch really seem to help more than the scoreboard suggests because those are my favorite things to do other than play Tachanka or Fuze on Hostage rounds.

@Hard: is the little loading icon for each player even real because I have seen people sit around and talk about it while waiting for "toasters" to finish. Some of the poo poo the players are saying about why it's happening is too funny to be true

Thief fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 5, 2016

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Great Beer posted:

You want this though. The enemy will underestimate you and then scream about hax when you win.

No because even at bronze the enemy team are still way higher ranked.

Hard please add more to the voting system post match so I can vote "gently caress off" amount of stars.

Had to deal with this guy screaming into his mic "WHY ARE MEMES A THING LOL TUCHANKA LORD"

The matchmaking doesn't even try. I know the reason you can't see ranks of players during ranked games is because we'd all see how it doesn't try and you'll see Golds against newbie bronze.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Montagne is a bullet proof drone. You walk in with your mega shield and then shuffle back and call out enemy positions.
Sledge is less simple in application. Hes able to ignore all the walls outside of the objective basically so he can really abuse map knowledge to poke from every angle.

E: look at me day 3 and I'm already telling people how to play

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I actually love the matchmaker because I get into games fairly quickly without having to browse a server list. I understand this is supposed to be a competitive shooter but if you're really that serious you can very easily just hop into a group with 4 random players through Discord or something and find fun people to play with that try to work together as a team.

Even if you can't find anyone active you can just join a random team and find people that way. From what I've seen, if your team wins very well or actually talks on the mic they will tend to hang around for multiple matches instead of bounce around randomly in the que.

That's what ranked mode is really about for me. I'm pretty sure everyone knows most of the levels aren't that serious and you see very good players just dorking around a lot trying experimental things just as often as you see people trying to reenact their favorite youtube cyber athlete tutorial strategies.

This the game that lets you do stuff like hang spiderman style off the walls and taze people in the nuts with a remote control gadget.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's still early in the season, matchmaking is always janky at that point. Especially with how they totally reset it this time.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Chiming in that I also feel like I'm bad. 40 hours in it's still a struggle finding the stairs on some levels. However I learn something most every game and get a tiny bit better all the time. There are so many angles to approach everything from, so even when an enemy's reaction time is flat out better than mine, which is most of the time, I can still figure out ways that I could have had an upper hand. There is so much room for personal expression in the gameplay: punching holes in walls, hiding in a room, in the front door, or gimmicky item placement all seem viable. It helps that a dead player can still be useful and pointing out an enemy can turn the game around.

Using Nvidia's instant replay, sometimes when I do particularly well or wonder what the hell happened I press the button to save the last minute or two. During wait times reviewing these feels like it helps.

I'd be down to play with others who think they're bad so there's no pressure to perform. I don't have the best experiences playing games with goons who have been playing since beta and are understandably displeased that I can't keep up.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ularg posted:

Finally finished my placement matches and got Silver 1. Perfect representation of how painfully average I am.

Don't sweat it. I got placed into Silver 2 because I played with full squads of good players and went up against gold and platinum for all my placement matches. Won like 2 or 3 out of 10. Then I went into solo ranked as Silver 3, and 4 matches later I was Gold 3 and MVP nearly every round.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

My consistent problem is understanding when a room is just a death trap. Like, the entire room is 12 open angles one way or another. I feel like I need to hug the objective and die for it.
That and I'm really jumpy so when I get surprised by a sudden taking fire my hand jolts and I lose my orientation. I'm decent at fighting people I'm aware of though.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

My consistent problem is understanding when a room is just a death trap. Like, the entire room is 12 open angles one way or another. I feel like I need to hug the objective and die for it.
That and I'm really jumpy so when I get surprised by a sudden taking fire my hand jolts and I lose my orientation. I'm decent at fighting people I'm aware of though.

Twitchiness is largely your enemy in this game. A good flick can land you a headshot but if you jump when you enter combat then you will die often. Calm and collected people aim for the head while you're spraying randomly.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
If a room has too many openings then you should pick a more closed off side room to hide in that you can protect the objective room from. Do this in advance if possible and fortify the side room so you don't get surprise by someone breaking in behind you.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The trick is realising that last bit is the whole game. There aren't actually that many circumstances where twitch reflexes decide a fight, the game is all about forcing other players to move into your crosshairs through positioning and device usage.

Getting better at the game is not a case of getting better at aiming faster and thinking about it that way is going to frustrate you. It's about thinking more about how the map works, approach options, gadget interplay etc etc. It's still a steep slope to climb against people quite some way above you, but you'll feel the progress more if you measure your development in that way.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Oh I didn't mean it that way. I don't like trying to snap headshots anyway (I play a lot of junkrat in overwatch so this is an adjustment to say the least.). I was just kvetching that I have a jump scare reaction to getting ambushed so I cant even put up some lovely self defense and get blown away.
I am having a lot of fun. It's just going to take some time for me to build a danger sense so I know where the murder box is before I'm trapped in a corner, and to realize I might be "flanking" straight into their entry point they're still faffing about in.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Oh I didn't mean it that way. I don't like trying to snap headshots anyway (I play a lot of junkrat in overwatch so this is an adjustment to say the least.). I was just kvetching that I have a jump scare reaction to getting ambushed so I cant even put up some lovely self defense and get blown away.
I am having a lot of fun. It's just going to take some time for me to build a danger sense so I know where the murder box is before I'm trapped in a corner, and to realize I might be "flanking" straight into their entry point they're still faffing about in.

Drone ahead of where you're going! That will cut down on your ambushes significantly.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Is there something wrong with my sound or does no one ever talk in casual games? I'm on my last match before rank 20 now, and I've never heard a single word uttered.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah its pretty unusual. I always listen to music or a podcast when I'm playing casual anyway so I wouldn't hear you even if you do say anything, and I know I'm not alone in that.

If you want to have teamwork and voice comms, play ranked.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Black Griffon posted:

Is there something wrong with my sound or does no one ever talk in casual games? I'm on my last match before rank 20 now, and I've never heard a single word uttered.

I pretty much just do reflex callouts in casual.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

Do you see the little headset icon but hear nothing?

Do you live in Europe?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The VoIP in the game is terrible and I can't gear anyone and no one can hear me.

Can't drone on defense or I'd be all over that :(

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I live in Europe, and coincidentally I just heard someone talk for the first time as they team killed our whole team.

So it works.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I try to use voice chat in casual but siege has the problem where its voice chat is loving total garbage and never works properly.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

I live in Europe, and coincidentally I just heard someone talk for the first time as they team killed our whole team.

So it works.

A lot of people have English as a second language and are too self-conscious to be the first one to talk.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Jump scares and spooky spetsnaz ghosts will go away, just give it time. As for death trap rooms, just don't cross rooms across the middle if you don't know where is every enemy on the map. Work your way along the walls, walking not running, and just monitor majority of the entrances to the room. Cameras and drones help greatly in this regard.

Generally speaking, however, murderboxes vary in shape and form. Generally speaking, you should avoid making noise around any whatsoever destructible surfaces, unless you have a good hang of enemy position, and some sort of an action plan.

Black Griffon posted:

Casual is bad for that kind of Siege, it certainly is not your sound. Unless you have explicitly disabled voice chat incoming audio in settings, which is enabled by default. If you don't see headphone icons around your teammates on the scoreboard, they don't have microphones at all. Even if they do, it takes higher ranks for people to start communicating, which is very ironic given that waste swathes of people in the lower ranking tiers are there only because newbie (and chronically bad) players do not tend to communicate, regardless of the game. It's slightly better in matches where you have separate button for basic callouts that can not be skipped, but it still is an issue.

Heran Bago posted:

Do you see the little headset icon but hear nothing?

Do you live in Europe?
Europeans talk, just not always in a common language. Talking doesn't get frequent until upper gold or so.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The VoIP in the game is terrible and I can't gear anyone and no one can hear me.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I try to use voice chat in casual but siege has the problem where its voice chat is loving total garbage and never works properly.

Siege is the only game where my friend's microphone is not not just not working, but not even being recognized by the game as existing. :(

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Echo can, but oddly it can't scan enemies or place markers.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Siege is the only game where my friend's microphone is not not just not working, but not even being recognized by the game as existing. :(

I had this problem on the hearing side.

Try this: right-click on the volume icon in the taskbar, choose recording devices, set the one he's using to the default device and default communications device, then disable all the others.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Heran Bago posted:

Echo can, but oddly it can't scan enemies or place markers.
That is a very wise design decision. Echo would be noticeably weaker if the developers did leave idiot teammates ability to mark from the drone.

Heran Bago posted:

I had this problem on the hearing side.

Try this: right-click on the volume icon in the taskbar, choose recording devices, set the one he's using to the default device and default communications device, then disable all the others.
We've already tried that and number of other things. Swapping devices, renaming them, alternating between defaults and non-defaults, doing that with Uplay/game relaunches to see if it can reattempt to figure out that there has been only a single loving recording device enabled on the computer from the dawn of ages, and what not. We both have spent good 30 hours of actual efforts to try and get this thing working, and no luck.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That is a very wise design decision. Echo would be noticeably weaker if the developers did leave idiot teammates ability to mark from the drone.
We've already tried that and number of other things. Swapping devices, renaming them, alternating between defaults and non-defaults, doing that with Uplay/game relaunches to see if it can reattempt to figure out that there has been only a single loving recording device enabled on the computer from the dawn of ages, and what not. We both have spent good 30 hours of actual efforts to try and get this thing working, and no luck.

Have you changed the settings in the uplay overlay? Shift F2 and go to the settings tab

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Is the PS4 community still alive for this game?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Duggler posted:

Have you changed the settings in the uplay overlay? Shift F2 and go to the settings tab
That is Uplay's separate voice chat, entirely separate from the game.

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

Koramei posted:

i just wanna say i appreciate that the new map has an adequate number of toilets for a change

I want to make games for you.

Also, do you think it is because they want to keep call-outs non confusing? Having more than one bathroom can cause some confusion.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

mappers tend to forget about bathrooms because they only use them irl once every 3 liters of energy drink consumed

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thief posted:

mappers tend to forget about bathrooms because they only use them irl once every 3 liters of energy drink consumed
I think I would literally get an ailment of sorts after that much energy drinks.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I wish there was a volume slider for VOIP in game. Or just that maybe this poo poo was mixed above the rest of the game audio.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Nope. Valkyrie cameras are the only type of camera/drone besides the basic one that your teammates can see and mark through. Only dead teammates can see through your Yokai, and only when you're looking through it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Nope. Valkyrie cameras are the only type of camera/drone besides the basic one that your teammates can see and mark through. Only dead teammates can see through your Yokai, and only when you're looking through it.
So, I said that Echo's drone can not be used by teammates to mark enemies, and now you are disagreeing with that and saying that Echo's drone can not be used by teammates to mark enemies?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Well defenders get to look through cameras and attackers through drones so it's consistent

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I mean, maybe I should clarify that only garbage players mark enemies from drones or cameras, select few scenarios asides, and doing so is the number one reason for either being shot. Less so with static cameras and the Twitch drone, but Valkyrie cameras and regular drones, generally speaking, can live indefinitely. But they seldom do because there's always that one trigger happy teammate to ruin it all and given enemy team endless stream of "WELP MATE, THERES AN ENEMY SPYING DEVICE LOOKING AT YOU RIGHT NOW" flashing across the screen in block-capital red letters.

Hence, I do believe that inability for teammates to mark from Yokai is a strong buff to Echo in public games.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Echo being 3 armor sort of makes him a meh pick for me, to be honest. The fact that you can't shoot the drone unless it's a) jumped and b) jumped in a room with a specific ceiling height (meaning you can't jump it in larger atrium areas) also negates much of its advantages with cloaking.

The MP5SD is great but not 'deprive yourself of a potential c4 or gadget operator' great.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I mean, maybe I should clarify that only garbage players mark enemies from drones or cameras, select few scenarios asides, and doing so is the number one reason for either being shot. Less so with static cameras and the Twitch drone, but Valkyrie cameras and regular drones, generally speaking, can live indefinitely. But they seldom do because there's always that one trigger happy teammate to ruin it all and given enemy team endless stream of "WELP MATE, THERES AN ENEMY SPYING DEVICE LOOKING AT YOU RIGHT NOW" flashing across the screen in block-capital red letters.

Hence, I do believe that inability for teammates to mark from Yokai is a strong buff to Echo in public games.

I only mark people because I do not trust in my ability to communicate where the enemy is and their ability to understand me. I know better already than to do that crapwhen I have a group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cinci zoo sniper posted:

So, I said that Echo's drone can not be used by teammates to mark enemies, and now you are disagreeing with that and saying that Echo's drone can not be used by teammates to mark enemies?

No. I am saying it is not a good design decision for the reason you provided, because that reason would not be applicable either way. Teammates could not mark through your drones even if you could.

• Locked thread